Looking for a bike?
Close

Looking for a bike?

This is a discussion on Looking for a bike? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I am looking at picking up my first bike. I am looking for a late 70's Yamaha XS650. I was wondering what i should be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for a bike?

I am looking at picking up my first bike. I am looking for a late 70's Yamaha XS650. I was wondering what i should be looking for to know I am getting a reliable bike? Any quick tests I could do to make sure? Thanks for your help in advance.
    1979 Yamaha XS650 Special
    https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12991

FR
    Buy something that you can ride, in other words, not another person's project that never got completed. If you find a decent runner you can do some simple tests without too many tools. When the engine is warmed up and idling, pull one of the spark plug leads, if the other cylinder is healthy the bike will continue to run, if not, it probably won't. Do both sides. Of course if you have a compression tester you don't need to do the spark plug test.
    But generally, a test ride will give you a good feel for the bike if you know bikes. If you don't, bring someone who does.
    If possible it's a good idea to ask the seller not to start the bike before you show up, cold starts can be revealing.
    The common sense things like tires, lights, everything you'll need to pass a State Inspection, and a title(!)should not be overlooked.
    Be ready with cash if you find the right bike, and if it's really the right bike be ready to pay.
    FWIW I'd be looking for a '78 or older, I'm not crazy about the "Midnight Special" theme on post '78 models.

FR
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

Thanks FR. Anyone else have any tips at all?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

rat
    Yeah.

If you are just looking for a bike... look for something other than an XS650.

They're cool as shit, but they're coveted. You could buy other models for less, in better shape. I'm tellin' ya.

Care to make any suggestions rat? I kinda got my heart on a xs but suggestions are always welcome.

rat
    Not really.

I watch my local bikefinders pretty closely... CB750s and XS650s... they're priced high and snapped up quickly. To be honest, I rarely even see XS650s come up for sale.

Thanks for the help rat suggest not an XS then suggest nothing that post was worth while definitely.

haha!

xs's arent in my opinion quite as desirable as the cb's but then again, around here, cb750's arent that hot either. but i think the xs' are harder to find. there was kind of a cool one at the bike nite tex and i were at the other nite. setup dirt tracker style.

j

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

I kinda like xs's cause they arent a cb's but i dont really know why i have such a desire to get one, but joe you got any secrets to know i am not getting a lemon?

rat
    Hey Zoulou...

go find yourself an XS then, get hung up on buying only an XS, and pay more for it than you have to because the guys who own them know that "Chopper" guys are snapping them up at every opportunity.

How's that for helpful? I didn't suggest anything because only you know what you're looking for... is it that you really want a 70s bike? is it you really want a twin? only you know. Start buying bike traders... every time you see a bike in your price range, go read up on it. You want cheap? Start looking early 80s. There's tons of 80s bikes out there...

Buy a bike. A running bike. One that goes when you twist the throttle and stops when you use the brakes. One that needs a bit of work that you can sell and not lose money... one that gives you a bit of experience working on bikes so that when you find that XS, you can pick it up and ensure that it doesn't become a pile of parts sitting in your garage for years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links