Dead Man Switch?
Close

Dead Man Switch?

This is a discussion on Dead Man Switch? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Anybody know where I can get a "dead man switch". Basically a kill switch tether for a street bike. I am going to be doing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dead Man Switch?

Anybody know where I can get a "dead man switch". Basically a kill switch tether for a street bike.

I am going to be doing bracket nights again now that the track has become lax about gear, but they require me to have a kill switch tether on my street bike. I don't really feel like paying $30 at the track for what I can get or make at the hardware store for .79 cents.

I am trying not to splice in to the existing wiring because I am going to be running my daily rider.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

they use them on jet skies, try the marine supply

Just hook a tether to the factory kill switch so it theoretically pulls it when you fall off. Screw it, glue it, or drill a tiny hole and fishhook it to the factory button. Use a boot lace, shoestring, or the stretchy thing off a keychain like one I have for the actual tether.

Guarranteed(almost) to get you through tech, while at the same time looking like hammmered shit.

What bike are you going to run? My buddy's been bugging me to do some racing this year. It's pushing 15 yrs since I've drag raced a bike, but the local track is doing five $1000 to win streetbike races this season. If I had the time I'd like to get my CB360 going for that. It should be deadly consistant and so slow that the guys on fast bikes wouldn't have a chance to roll off on ya'. But no time....

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

Just hook a tether to the factory kill switch so it theoretically pulls it when you fall off. Screw it, glue it, or drill a tiny hole and fishhook it to the factory button. Use a boot lace, shoestring, or the stretchy thing off a keychain like one I have for the actual tether.

Guarranteed(almost) to get you through tech, while at the same time looking like hammmered shit.

What bike are you going to run? My buddy's been bugging me to do some racing this year. It's pushing 15 yrs since I've drag raced a bike, but the local track is doing five $1000 to win streetbike races this season. If I had the time I'd like to get my CB360 going for that. It should be deadly consistant and so slow that the guys on fast bikes wouldn't have a chance to roll off on ya'. But no time....

I am going to run either my 73 K or 78 F cb750. The K is bone stock and pulls like a mutha. The 78 does not have a functioning kill switch right now and has kind of a lumpy cam but is hella light and pretty dialed in. I am pretty sure I can launch that sob into the 12s but I am not sure how consistent she is. The idea is to ride it to the track, knock down 14-13 second 1/4 miles all night long, and then ride home.

Orient Express is sponsoring a fastest streetbike bracket night at my local track. The only rules are that it has to be a street bike and has to have a kill switch (there are other gear rules but they apply to bikes running 11 seconds or quicker). I am an old hand at car and bike brackets so it is nice to get the gear break and be able to run again, espically at e-town which is a decent track as compared to (now defunct) Westhampton which was a dive no matter how nostalgic I get about it.

drag racing is cheap, it is easy, it is competitive and I encourage anybody with a vintage bike to do a bracket night.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

im a marine mechanic. i have some of the jetski stops but they are kinda large and ugly. i do have some that are smaller off boat. its but the red pop up and the place to put the laynard. they mount thourgh the fiberglass of the hull near the helm on a boat so it could be made to fit anywhere on a bike. ill grap one at work today.

what are you calling your local track? they have timing lights on DPA now or over on edison?.....CR51 is far out east for you....lol
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

quote:Originally posted by jaguar

im a marine mechanic. i have some of the jetski stops but they are kinda large and ugly. i do have some that are smaller off boat. its but the red pop up and the place to put the laynard. they mount thourgh the fiberglass of the hull near the helm on a boat so it could be made to fit anywhere on a bike. ill grap one at work today.

what are you calling your local track? they have timing lights on DPA now or over on edison?.....CR51 is far out east for you....lol
    Englishtown NJ is the local SANCTIONED track. I could call Atco home too but that is an extra hour and a half drive on top of the hour+ it takes to get to etown.

There are no more long island drag strips. Such a shame. One o fmy favorite pictures that sits on my desk is my GTO in the staging lanes at west hampton from the year it closed.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

i work right down the block from the old strip in westhampton. they guys said that it used to suck hearing all the cars run and have to work all day...lol
    do you think that boat laynard will work for you?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

post your times if you go. i may try to get some runs in soon but we only have 660' tracks here. i'll be luck to get 90mph but my black bike may surprise me.
    our track makes your wear a helmet and leather jacket only i think. no tech at all. its so country, the track is up hill at the end and there is a dirt track right beside it. there is usually more trucks then cars. but we have some good ol' boys running 4.50's in there old nova's. these country boys love some bracket racing.
    as far as bikes go we have your typical 500whp turbo busa's. why are there more turbo busa's then licensed riders? i guess when you can buy a new 180hp bike for under $10,000 everyone with a set of gold fronts runs out and gets one and then installs dvd players on it.
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

The problem with being the slow/slower bike/car in your class in bracket racing is that you almost always have the opportunity to red light FIRST and the other driver/rider wins by default without ever doing a thing! I have seen that many,many times!

Also the faster cars,bikes nearly always get off the line/have quicker 60' times so they have more leeway in jumping out and running down the slower machines. A slow machine starting the timer gives the advantage to the faster machine. The machine with the quickest reaction time will automatically have a slight advantage by breaking the starting beams as quickly as possible.

It's possible to have a slower machine that's quicker off the line(better R.T.),but rare. Usually in drag racing the faster machine also maintains the R.T. and 60' time advantage as well.

Look at the stats and most tracks. Usually the fastest group of machines in each particular class is up near the top of the event standings/points. They have a better chance of winning each of their particular races because they have several inherent advantages right off the top. They get to leave second,less chance to red light.
    Their machine usually has a better R.T. and 60' time,so that little bit of time saved can be used making up distance/getting down the track. Their machine is usually faster,so the can run down the slower one and once they do the slower machine can't do squat about it except the faster car breaks out or they both break out but they do it less.
    Their machine just plain isn't on the track/making a pass as long,shorter time to distance,so it has less time to screw up/sometime going wrong. It all comes down to their machine taking as much of the human element(and their possible mistakes)out of it as possible.

Their opponents KNOW they have to beat them on the tree,not red light in the process AND run right on their time because if they don't it's all over and they get ran down and played with. Plus their pass is taking longer so there's more time for something to go wrong with their machine during the run. Each little disadvantage in and of itself may not cause the slower machine to lose,but combine it all together and statistically at least the faster/quicker vehicles have more to give up and still come out the winner.

So,all else being equal those machines will almost always win. When they don't it's on the driver screwing something up and losing the advantage their mega dollar,hyper tuned beast gives them in the first place.

The sad part is I've seen some very good drivers that would have stomped a mud hole in some other drivers,but they just didn't have the machine to do it. Some drivers have very expensive and very fast cars with very fast R.T. because if they didn't they would get their asses handed to them every race weekend plain and simple. Go to your local small time track and you'll be able to pick those people out pretty quick. That's why the crowd loves it when they screw up(and they pretty much have to screw up)and someone that may be better driver/racer(and the crowd knows it) beats them.

For me to build,put lots of time/effort and race a dedicated machine I would want the same inherent advantages that the fast machines have and that often times means money and also time/effort to become the best driver/rider I could be. I am just not at that stage in my life where that could happen. I like to be competitive when I do something and to spend lost of time/cash just to play and probably loose just isn't appealing. I would get tired of knowing I may be a better racer,but still end up out of the running.

I know several class winners and points runners locally and went to school with some of them. They done very well indeed,but the costs(HUGE amounts for some) and sacrifices to their family/social lives for some of them would keep me out of that game.

My nephew was/is a local champ in his division at one of the local Go Kart tracks. He's moving up to race "Bomber" class at one of the local
    dirt car tracks this year. I hope he does well and can progress,but I hope it doesn't come to the point where the cons out weigh the pros for him,my sister and my brother-in-law.

Oh and Geeto as the other have said you can get the kill switches from the water craft dealers,some if not all motorcycle dealers(or they can at least order it for you),Dennis Kirk,Pingelonline.com or other drag racing type dealers etc.

The one from Pingel:
    http://www.pingelonline.com/tether_engine_kill.htm

I would agree with you mostly in theory, but if you've ever done much streetbike bracket racing against fairly inexperienced racers the second leaving bike is much more likely to redlight. And while the faster bike should have an advantage at the big end a lot of times they get so focused on running down the slow bike down they breakout.

At the end of the day it's all about cutting a light and running the number then worrying about playing games at the big end("Racing the stripe" is a more professional term). A lot of guys get it backwards, they worry about big end games when they can't cut a light or run the number.IMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links