Tell me about CB350 Fours!
Close

This is a discussion on Tell me about CB350 Fours! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey all, I'm just putting a feeler out on a couple of sites to get some input about the little Honda CB350 Fours. I found ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hey all, I'm just putting a feeler out on a couple of sites to get some input about the little Honda CB350 Fours.

I found a sweet little green one that a guy is restoring back to original condition and it's so nice I MAY just have to sell/trade some stuff to get it or one like it! My CB200T won't be road legal and I was wanting a small/smaller four cylinder standard or cafe style bike
    to cruise around on when I'm not riding my wifes little Ninja 250 this season.

I have ridden several vintage(or new/newer at the time)bikes such as KZ550,CB550/750 Fours,Hawk 400 twin,used to own a twin Star 185,Seca 400,put many,many miles on a KZ750 Ltd. etc.,etc. I've had quite a few other bikes(dirt/street/cruiser/sport)over the past 24 or so years I've been riding.

I have not ridden such a small four popper like the CB350 though. I'm sure it's a smooth runner if it's anything like it's bigger brothers.
    So...how does this little machine compare to some of the other small or medium vintage bikes out there? How much better if at all is it compare to the 350/400/450 twins?

I just about have all the parts minus a titled frame to build a early eighties KZ550(Std.KZ/LTD). Would/is the KZ550 just a better bike overall? I will in the future buy/build a KZ650 four banger as that is the one KZ besides a 900/1000 that I MUST own before I die!

I love KZ fours and we all know about the power they produce,but of course they are a little um...raw if you will which is part of the reason I like them so much in the first place! I just think the 350 Fours are just too cool. I have liked them and of course the 400 Fours ever since I first started riding and noticing them on the road,but just never bought one.

So,there it is tell my what you think of the Honda CB350 Fours!

The worst of the sohc fours in my opinion. They are underpowered for their weight and size and the gearbox required you to rev the shit out of it to get anywhere (it should have had the 400-4's 6 speed and larger powerplant). It is reliable, but it is a dog....a very very sick wheezing dog.

There are virtually no parts available for it and any that you find are going to be expensive. Any stock exhaust for it in good condition is going to be a fortune and a half.

They are pretty bikes and I even owned one for a very very short while. I love the candy bacchus olive color. The upside to one is the 400-4 motor fits right in the frame and correct most of the short comings that the 350 mill has making it a cool little city bike. However they are expensive cult bikes now and I rarely see one with any kind of hot rodding done - let alone the 400-4 mill (and to be fair the 400-4 is a cool bike too).
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Thanks for being honest Geeto as that's what I want. I'm not needing a power house,but I would like something that just runs smother than a twin and that's a little more unique than a twin,big CB,KZ,GS,XJ etc.

It's just that after seeing this bike in this Dudes garage it got me thinking..Man I really CAN"T remember the last time I've seen one of those in the flesh,especially in such nice condition. It really did look nice as Hell in it's little vintage looking green paint and pin striping and little four into four mufflers(he still needs to find a good set of right side headers/mufflers to finish the bike up).

Of course if a 400F came along at a good price I would snatch it up.
    I guy I know who worked at the local Post Office had a beautiful stock,blue one that I just loved. Sounded great too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

they are smooth and unique, I will give you that. They were a 2 year only bike and not a big seller - hence why you don't see a lot of them around. You do tend to see them in NY a lot because they are honda reliable and people are retarded for small bikes here.

As much as I tell people to stay away from them I would own another if it had the 400-4 motor and 6 speed (and was lightened). That Candy Bacchus olive green with the orange and white pin stripes is a knock out color combo. I don't like the red nearly as much.

If you are dead set on having one - buy the best one you can find. I firmly believe any non-running "project" cb350-4s should be parted out to keep the running ones on the road.

Acutally I belive that they all should be set on fire and burned simply so I don't have to listen to one more cb350-4 owner talk about how much charm that shitbag of a motorcycle has but that is another story.

to compare it to the cb350 twins, the cb350 twin is an all around much better motorcycle. I don't find them that thumpy (they are not british thumpy but there is still twin vibration). Compared to the 400/450 hawk fours - well the cb400T/450T are un that general primordial ozzes we call the honda bikes you dare not speak their name because they are so bland. Twinstars, hawks, '79 and up hondamatics, all are worse bikes than the 350 in terms of ride quality and general enjoyment. The 400Ts are really smooth twins, but there is no joy of riding one - there is at least some fun in riding a 350-4 (usually when the tach is pegged to the right).

compared to the kz650 or 900 well that is just a whole 'nother class of bike.

compared to the kz550 std they are about the same in feel but the 550 is faster (and is still a dog).

If I were you I would buy the kz650 and forget about the cb350. Maybe bug your buddy to ride his but that is about it.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I have to agree

and the 400F's rock

especially when they've been made nearly 600cc's and twice as angry
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

if you get the cb350F, don't wear nice slacks on your work commute. every single one of them pisses thru the orings in the head and onto your legs.
    i like the one i had. reasons i liked it, 125cc slow until you hit 7,000 rpm and then it felt like it would just kept pulling the higher you revved it (still not fast, but i rode in 65mph traffic with it with ease.
    the sound was amazing! it had a 4 into 2 on it and reminded me of a well tuned italian super car. really, the best sounding bike i've heard. but it may just be the no name exhaust that was on it.
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

I take it they still make piston and cam kits for these since they are still raced in Vintage classes?
    I couldn't even imagine seeing four tiny little flat slide/smooth bore racing carbs on one of those little things!

Would a cam change and a compression bump net some noticeable power gains or would it's small size and it being a small displacement FOUR STROKE keep it from really not being able to take much advantage of those mods?

I don't know what they can be bored out to or what kits are available.
    I wouldn't do a full kit unless a bike needed rebuilt anyway.
    If it did though why not build it up some if it only costs a little more and the power benefits are worth it.

I absolutely loved my little Seca 400(had it about 5yrs)and having a little displacement vintage bike to hit the back roads on would be fun I think. I don't want another Seca 400,but I would like something more vintage(60's/70's)looking but run just as smooth or smoother,but still keep up with traffic if I chose to ride it for short jaunts on the two-lane hi-ways/old state roads.

I'm 5'3" and my weight varies between 155-165lbs.,so I'm not too worried about one not having enough power to pull me around.

Once my Harley Pro-Street bike is done I will be deciding if I want to keep and ride it or sell/trade it in on a sport bike to replace my FZR1000 I had to sell last year.

I only want a small street bike like this to putt around on and get my fill of enjoying the ride on a piece of history from my youth I guess.
    What I don't want though is a wimpy ass bike like the 185 Twin Star I had that couldn't get out of it's own way no matter if the throttle was pinned or not! Never again will I have a road bike like that...I still have nightmares about that P.O.S.!

I REALLY enjoy modern/semi-modern sport bikes and hope to always have one,but I enjoy them in a different way like hitting the twisties sorta way.

quote:Originally posted by coolatula

I take it they still make piston and cam kits for these since they are still raced in Vintage classes?
    I couldn't even imagine seeing four tiny little flat slide/smooth bore racing carbs on one of those little things!

Would a cam change and a compression bump net some noticeable power gains or would it's small size and it being a small displacement FOUR STROKE keep it from really not being to take much advantage of those mods?

I don't know what they can be bored out to or what kits are available.
    I wouldn't do a full kit unless a bike needed rebuilt anyway.
    If it did though why not build it up some if it only costs a little more and the power benefits are worth it.
    Let me stop you right there.....

They make NOTHING new for the 350-4. No cam kit, no pistons, nothing. You will be lucky if you can get service items. I am not kidding about this - at the time I owned mine honda had even discontinued the carb rebuild kits. I think megacycle still has the grind specs but you are in custom cam territory at that point

Anybody still racing these in vintage is doing it on sheer will and guts alone. Not because it is a bad bike, just because you have to be resourceful to race something that honda swept under the rug years ago. Any speed parts for them (which were rare back in the day) are going to be 1970s originals.

quote:
    I absolutely loved my little Seca 400(had it about 5yrs)and having a little displacement vintage bike to hit the back roads on would be fun I think. I don't want another Seca 400,but I would like something more vintage(60's/70's)looking but run just as smooth or smoother,but still keep up with traffic if I chose to ride it for short jaunts on the two-lane hi-ways/old state roads.

I'm 5'3" and my weight varies between 155-165lbs.,so I'm not too worried about one not having enough power to pull me around.

Once my Harley Pro-Street bike is done I will be deciding if I want to keep and ride it or sell/trade it in on a sport bike to replace my FZR1000 I had to sell last year.

I only want a small street bike like this to putt around on and get my fill of enjoying the ride on a piece of history from my youth I guess.
    What I don't want though is a wimpy ass bike like the 185 Twin Star I had that couldn't get out of it's own way! Never again will I have a road bike like that...I still have nightmares about that P.O.S.!

I REALLY enjoy modern/semi-modern sport bikes and hope to always have one,but I enjoy them in a different hit the twisties sorta way.
    seriously, a cb350 twin is your best bet.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Thanks again Geeto.
    Some Dude that lives up the street from me has a old CB360 that he can't get to run right.
    Well,it's actually a CL that they put CB exhaust on according to him(I prefer the CL look personally).
    Looks like it could be fixed up fairly easy. It's just a little rough around the edges and has a rattle can black paint job on it that doesn't do to much for it's appearance.

now im scurred at what i got....

/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links