goddamn the slow - Page 2
Close

goddamn the slow

This is a discussion on goddamn the slow within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; quote: Originally posted by borzwazie every day I sit in traffic on my way to work and daydream about splitting lanes the whole fucking way ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    quote:Originally posted by borzwazie

every day I sit in traffic on my way to work and daydream about splitting lanes the whole fucking way to Pittsburgh. It's totally illegal here but I swear it would be worth the fine 10 times over.

it was legal in california when I lived there but people got pissed at you about it and would swerve to cut you off or throw shit at you. I had one guy open his door into me. wtf? if we get in a fight, dude, you're gonna lose, I got a freaking helmet on!
    yeah they do all that shit here too. the best one is when AD was riding to work one day and someone yelled out at him "you are cheating". As for the door thing, It happened to me once and I stopped in time and held the guy's door open with my front tire and said to him if he ever does that again and I see it I am going to take the fucking door off and then beat him with it. just to let him know I was serious I pushed on it with the bike till it creaked then let off. Now I am just waiting for it to happen again so I can do that again (the "OMG I shit myself" look on the cager's face is worth it alone).

I don't lane split Long Island because the Jackbooted LEOs out there will most assuredly impound my ride, but in NYC - hell the lanes are just a suggestion anyway.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

When I was a kid I was in some little town in Maine, it was raining, it was dark, I had no rain gear, I was riding on the sidewalks under the store awnings on a beer run. A cop informed me that was illegal in Maine.
    JohnnyB

I would have never thought.....

jc

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

There is a lot of things that come up for vote on lane splitting here in WA every year, but it never passes. I wish it would so that I could now LEGALLY do it, however it would take a long time to train drivers here to expect motorcycles between lanes. WA drivers only experience bikes in mass for about three months out of the year, so they aren't trained to even watch for bikes, much less make space for them in traffic for lane splitting.
    I was right in the middle of a fucking reptile zoo, and somebody was giving booze to these goddam things.

1) why the fuck would you live in the city with assholes like that?
    2) why would you ride in the city with assholes like that?
    3) lane splitting is legal in CA but don't think so anyplace else (at least it was 10 years ago when I lived in Hollywood.
    J \'BuYaMinI\' D

quote:Originally posted by ghetto_racer

3) lane splitting is legal in CA but don't think so anyplace else (at least it was 10 years ago when I lived in Hollywood.
    Still is.

Last time I was in NYC, I had some kid throw a brick at me from an overpass. I was doing 50+ and the brick hit my handle bars - another few inches and I would have been road pizza. Now I don't ride in NYC without packing...

What date is Mid-O????
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

That's NYC for you.... Too bad it all can't be like upstate... At least you keep all those ppl in the same area (although there is some overflow to NH and CT)

J'bean town'D

when it comes to lane splitting I suscribe to a couple of philosophies:

- If you are going to do something illegal, do it fast and then get the hell out of there.

- If you are going to ride between cars make the actual time between cars as small as possible (since in NYC the greatest danger splitting is not being knocked off the bike so much as squashed between two cars or two panel vans)

- always split commercial trucks on the left and never split between two 18 wheelers

- you don't need to be moving faster than 20-30 mph than the traffic you are splitting. You don't need to be splitting if the traffic is 35mph or above. I think it is actually really close to the california law but it just makes sense to me.

- watch out for side view mirrors. Always.

- if somebody behind you wants to go faster let him go. the point of it is to relieve traffic congestion, no point in creating another traffic jam between the traffic jam.

- be conservative. If it feels like a bad idea don't do it.

- be alert and ready for anything. cover the brake at all times.

apparently none of the people I rode behind today who were splitting know these rules. They are common sense and I worked them all out on my own so I figure either 1) they lack common sense, or 2) the ylack the will to live. I hope it is the latter because I really would not like to see them again.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days July 25-27
    Can't wait. Three days of booze and bikes. Attention in the paddock...

sorry to continue the highjacked part of this thread.
    CO-OH Vinmoto
    nothing to see here...please move along

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links