BMW advice needed
Close

BMW advice needed

This is a discussion on BMW advice needed within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I am looking at a 1972 BMW r75/5 a guy down the street has for sale. It has not run in 17 years. 33,000 miles. ...

BMW advice needed

I am looking at a 1972 BMW r75/5 a guy down the street has for sale.

It has not run in 17 years. 33,000 miles. Kicks over with compression. A few small rust holes in the tips of the mufflers. Dings in tank, ripped seat, front fender broken off at the upright brace.

He says it "ran fine when parked". Tank holds gas. 2 new petcocks to go in. Throttle, brake and clutch cables move. Vetter fairing and a pair of hard bags. Kind of a bronze orange color

He is asking $1200 for it. Someone else is ahead of me to buy it.

What sort of problems could I expect with this bike other than the normal clean the carbs, change oil, grease, etc that comes with any bike that has sat a long time? Seems like runners of this model and vintage are going for $2900 to $4000.

Do you think it is a "buy" or should I run away from it. As many of you know, my mechanical ability is limited to clicking the pen to write a check to the shop.

Thanks,
    jack

jack,

can I get in line behind you to buy it?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Jack,
    I wouldn't be concerned about the mileage but that's a long time to sit. That's a decent price if it's all there and kicks over. By design, the cylinders are prone to pitting heavily, a rebore will be need for sure. The heads will need to be cleaned up as well. Tons of parts out there but sources are beginning to dry up. New part prices are expensive.
    On the other hand, it MIGHT be cheaper to buy a runner in the long run depending on how capable you are with a wrench or to what level retoration you want to do.

Go for it but ditch the windjammer. Heavy POS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

bcr
    Jack,
    get it. my slash 5 was the best machine I ever owned. bought it for 600 bucks put 20+k on the clock sold it for 600 bucks. tires, oil/filters, gas, 1 points set, plugs, and 1 battery. I flogged it mercilessly, some wallow in the sweeps, but a great daily rider.
    As far as getting a bike to learn some fundamental mechanicals, this thing is as easy as its likely to get.
    cheers, bcr

I can tell you from experiance that the most expensive motorcycle you can buy is a "cheap" BMW. Be sure to check the tranny, shaft and final drive oil for water contamination.

buy it

Geeto, can I get in line ahead of you?
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

buy it

Geeto, can I get in line ahead of you?
    go ahead...another wedding bill come this week and now I am cursing the institution of marriage.

If you buy it let me know when you are going to re-sell it, since a copper or blue /5 BMW has been one of the bikes I told myself I would buy if I ever got the chance.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to pass on this one. Like Rosko said, it could easily become a much more expensive bike, and right now I just don't have the extra cash to put into it for the bike to be road worthy.

Anybody want to buy a 94 sportster for $4600 or my 74 CB360 for $900?? Then I would get it.

Hackasaw, the bike is in Oneonta NY, midway between Albany and Binghamton on I88.

Geeto, the wedding bills are just the BEGINING.........wait until the mortgage, kids braces, etc etc etc. You will fondly remember the "old days"..

Sponsored Links