KZ400 cafe with a touch of class... - Page 2
Close

KZ400 cafe with a touch of class...

This is a discussion on KZ400 cafe with a touch of class... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Go better watch out or her bike will end up broken down into every last nut and bolt and then I'll skip town leaving post ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Go better watch out or her bike will end up broken down into every last nut and bolt and then I'll skip town leaving post it notes all over the shop saying how I best be able to ride it done up right when I get back.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Due to the look I wanted to acheive and the time frame I had to work, it just didn't make any sense at all to tear it all down. Beleive me when I say I would've prefered it...it just wasn't a possibility...not with my facilities and even now it's almost august and the bike's still not ready...

Working 12hrs a day 5-6 days a week leaves me little time for this project, but I'm extremely happy with the final out come even more so in person. If I hadn't shown those pics you'd never have noticed...I'm the rattle can/masking master.
    --Jordan--

well maybe not from ten step pix on the internet but for sure I would if I were standing within three steps of it

looks ok and all and I'm not bagging on you

heck I'd breed you out of it and ride it

did you make the pipe?

I'll have to say it leaves much to be desired but nice wrap job

you might figure out it's truly not necessary to clamp both ends of the wrap

I start at the port leaving it unclamped and only clamp the terminal end

heck, you can even use stainless mig or tig wire to do it so you don't have to look at worm clamps

if you wanna
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The pipes are stock at the moment, just wrapped. I'm gonna cut down the muffler and intall a cocktail shaker for an end...little more noise, little more flow, and a little less can. Long term (maybe next winter) I'd like to have a 2-2 system built with Triump/Norton/BCR style pea-shooter aimed a bit more at the sky.

I don't mind the clamps...call me paranoid. Next winter I'll be install all the stainless harware I can make fit all over the bike and that should once and for all kill the spray bomb look.
    --Jordan--

that stock header design has to rival some of HD's efforts for the worst I've ever seen in two into one headpipes

the angle of convergence totally blows and looks to me that it would be nearly un-tunable

are you sure that is stock?

I don't guess I've ever seen one like it or paid any attention if I actually have seen one.

sky high cocktail stirrers or peeshooters....... hmm...... how west coast useless

I'd have to vote for a two into one high pipe with some really useful and effective at making power type mufflers

that lil 400 could use all the help it can get

True but fast isn't why I built this bike...maybe I'm no real cafe racer but I have a lot to live for and so I save my speed for finely tuned European Automobiles

This bike regardless of power is a blast to ride around town and pretty fun in the twisties, that's really all I need. I'm building it to maintain a specific style and to own something that has some actual soul...
    --Jordan--

yeah I understand but with a well designed exhaust it will not only run better/stronger

it will also be more fuel efficient

I just can't say I recall ever seeing such a horrible stock exhaust on any japanese bike

the xs triples had a pretty crappy stock exhaust but nothing nearly that bad and they have an excuse being flat cranked triples

I would be very easy to modify what is there if you could snag yourself a decent 2 into 1 collector that will fit the head pipes

that's what I would do if it were mine

Exhaust is definitely on the list and I intend to replace everything but the head pipes ( I may even swap those for the later 2-2 style also). The bike runs plenty quick for me as of now. I'll wait to worry wbout that till next season.

I'd like to dial in a custom manifold and single Mikuni for starters, it'll run a hell of a lot hotter off the line and it'll be much easier to keep tuned.
    --Jordan--

Well I finally tackled the fork seals, not a hard task, but it was time consuming being my first time (this is really my issue with the whole project...I've never actually done any of this before...)
    We also got the fork brace painted black so it'll disappear nicely when the new white fender gets bolted on.

This is the nifty plate mount my buddy Chad welded up for me...I'm really happy with it.

Lastly we spent a bit more time machining the fins and lettering (with a dremel this time, not just bloody sandpaper...)

Had the 3 packages come that I was waiting for she'd likely be on the road...but apparently paying extra for 2-3 day shipping mean maybe in 5 or 6 days...not happy. So inevitably here she sleeps for another night. It'll likely be a week or so before I can get back out to her...

--Jordan--

quote:
    Holy mother of christ. No, even baby jesus is weeping.
    better is the enemy of good enough.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links