Need some advice
Close

Need some advice

This is a discussion on Need some advice within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; one of my best friends just picked up a used sportster about a month ago and learned to ride on the street. he is pulling ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need some advice

one of my best friends just picked up a used sportster about a month ago and learned to ride on the street. he is pulling the RUB lifestyle already, buying the chrome, the loud pipes, and the rest of the "me too" stuff. When he bought the bike, me and the rest of my friends convinced him to buy a safe, full faced helmet. 2 weeks later, he's got his drag pipes roaring and is helmetless. Man, we have all tried everything to get him to wear a helmet. i told him about how many times i would have been dead right now without a helmet (hell, ive had 4 concussions with one on!!) me and my friends have been commenting on his pictures on myspace and facebook about how he needs to wear one, and now he just has rude comebacks for all of us. he's a smart kid, just did a 20 month long stint in iraq, survived 2 convoy attacks, and is getting married in a couple of months, just got his first "real" job, bought a nice house, i mean the kid has something to live for. but man i'm at wits end at what i can do or say. i already know that when i get my bike back together, i am not going to ride with him as long as he's helmetless and i'm going to encourage my friends to do the same, but i dont think that will help either. he has some rub buddies from what i hear that even do the whole bandana around the face thing. if you guys have any advice at all let me know because i am starting to get pretty upset about it. i always make fun of guys who don't wear a helmet, or ride in flip flops, and my friends listen to me because they know i've crashed while racing so many times...i am the most experience crasher in the group!! but i can't get sean to listen to me. thanks for the advice
    --Tyler
    1976 RD400
    Best Flattrack Site On The Net! www.fightfordirttrack.com

quote:
    i am not going to ride with him as long as he's helmetless and i'm going to encourage my friends to do the same
    that's really the best thing you can do.

FR
    Maybe you can invite him to ride your bike (with a helmet) so that he can get a sense of what the rest of the motorcycle world feels like.

I don't know, it's like a disease with some people but after having gone through his recent military experience maybe this is his therapy....

FR
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I don't know if personal stories are going to wake this guy up - more than likely not. With him being a new rider, it's not if he will have an incident it's only a matter of time before something will happen.

Me personally; since the beginning of this riding season, I've had two cars pull out in front of me, several animals jump out and cross my path and just last night while leaned into a corner, I hit some loose sand in the road (that I did not see or expect) and did a two wheel slide through the corner. If it wasn't for my extensive riding and my racing experience, I would have been run over twice or in the weeds several times (especially last night). It happens that quick and very unexpectedly.

Since he is Iraq Vet (thanks for his service btw) ask him how many times he went into combat without his helmet and why??? Better yet - ask him what the kill rate is for a newbie in combat - guess what this is combat and he is a newbie...

You can still look cool and protect yourself.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

tyler,

there seems to be something about riding a h-d helmetless and no facial expression. it appears helmet less riding makes you to cool riding a h-d. I don't get it!! I refuse to go riding with out a helmet. hope you can convince him. heck even one of those half skid lids are better than nothing.

good luck and thanks for being concerned.
    Johnnyracer

He's not riding my bike...one, because it is blow up right now, and two, because he can't handle it. it has 30 year old brakes, and you have to be hanging on when it comes on the pipes! HAHAHAHA! but man, we have tried the combat helmet thing and he just shrugged it off and refused to make the connection. i really don't think he has had a close call yet on the bike (which is surprising) but hopefully he'll have a close call before he has a crash that will wake him up. at first he said he was going to get a skid lid because he didnt like his full face, but i guess he decided that $80 was too much to spend on his head. i'm going to try the refuse to ride bit...maybe it will work, but he has met a bunch of new RUB buddies, so i guess he'll just ride with them instead. hopefully something works sooner rather than later, thanks for the ideas guys!
    --Tyler
    1976 RD400
    Best Flattrack Site On The Net! www.fightfordirttrack.com

i can't help but think that his experiences in iraq might play some role in what might well be an impression of immortality or invincibility. i hope fates got simiilar intentions for his motorcycling endeavors. i hate to think of the idea of a returning vet, who saw active combat, getting taken out by some half dead 120 year old q-tip turning an escalade left into an international house of pancakes parking lot.

...keep on him.
    iphone generated fag

Hey, our new IHOP is open now!

There's two kinds of riders: Those who have crashed, and those who are going to.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Hell, bugs hurt at 75mph through my leathers. So does rain. I can't imagine getting hit in the face by a junebug on the highway. Or getting a rock kicked up....

Most rubs barely ride, just sticking to the highway, so he probably won't experience anything negative about not wearing a helmet before his first crash.

Its his choice. Sounds like hes the type where the more you push, the more he resists.

The best thing you can do is buy a dark suit and a black tie and wait. He isn't going to listen to you. You've done what you can. Its his life to lose. Keep at him about helmet wearing. Maybe he'll see sense before its too late.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links