watch an idiot try to ride foot clutch
Close

This is a discussion on watch an idiot try to ride foot clutch within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; i started my xs650 today for the first time. While the bike isn't done, i decided to video tape myself trying to ride it with ...

i started my xs650 today for the first time. While the bike isn't done, i decided to video tape myself trying to ride it with the foot clutch. its like learning to ride all over again. it feels very odd and isn't the smoothest ride i've had to date.

bike sounds knarly, but the exhaust isn't done yet so i just put on the stock pipes.
    so laugh and watch me stall this thing out.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pampadori/2766881944/
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

sounds KILLER
    fat people are harder to kidnap

if your pedal moves one inch

how much does it move the clutch cable?

how much cable movement is required to fully disengage a properly adjusted XS650 clutch?

I did a tech article on setting up foot clutches some years ago, I could probably photograph it and share it with you if you aren't sure you nailed the ratio

it does look abrupt

for some reason I had it in my head that nobody's xs650 had an estart that worked

I guess I've only had a couple of them that did and the ones that didn't wanted like real work to fix them
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

i dont' think the ratio or amount of pull is bad, i just have never driven one set up like that before. if i push the peddle down about 2", the clutch is fully disengaged. i don't feel real secure without the front brake, but i'm broke and can't afford pads yet. thats pretty sad isn't it?

well maybe, just maybe you nailed the ratio first time out the gate

if so, great!

if you aren't certain you could always make an extended foot peg which simply moves the foot peg further from the pivot

the difference for a foot clutch between having too high a ratio vs too low is quite astounding when it comes to being user friendly

my guess is that in the stock peg position, the ergonomics would be even less tolerant of high ratios (low number) than forwards

I cannot count how many people who have never ridden a suicide bike have been able to get on my Iron Pimp and pull away cleanly as if they had been doing it all their lives

the nature of a foot clutch is different than that of a hand clutch........ meaning the same ratios aren't optimum for both applications

anyhow, I really was curious as to the numbers and would appreciate having them if you wouldn't mind
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

and if you enjoy the free and easy exchange of useful info, I'll tell you the very good working numbers on two or three of my own that are proven road warriors

but I know right off the top of my head all of mine require more than two inches of pedal travel to operate the clutch

just whistle

quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

anyhow, I really was curious as to the numbers and would appreciate having them if you wouldn't mind
    i'd like to get that info for you, but i'm not quite sure how to do so. the linkage turns the worm gear and pushes in the clutch without a cable. with the hand setup, pulling it all the way in moves the worm gear about the same amount as the foot setup depressed about 3 inches i'd guess.
    got a picture of the iron pimp?

ahhhh...... I see so I don't recall if the amount of movement is easy or even possible to measure

in any event....... if the action does prove to be abrupt....... it's easy enough to toy with the ratios

I'm sure you've seen the Iron Pimp but here ya go

It has different controls on it now, a two into one, and a Fast By Ferracci carbon fiber can on it today

geared very tall and virtually no brakes, less than 340 full wet and puts 52 to the back tire

Sponsored Links