Vintage Dirtbike "Title" - Page 2
Close

Vintage Dirtbike "Title"

This is a discussion on Vintage Dirtbike "Title" within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Mark, Okay, I got the title. If you, or anybody living in Ohio for that matter, needs to title an old bike but all you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mark,

Okay, I got the title. If you, or anybody living in Ohio for that matter, needs to title an old bike but all you have is, say, a bill of sale here's what you can do:

-Go to your local county courthouse and ask the Clerk of Courts for a "Court Order Title" application. Its pretty straightforward stuff: vehicle description, your name, SSN, shit like that. There is one section where you provide a description of the circumstances under which you came to own the bike. Make sure you get this notorized (usually there is an in-house notary -- I mean, it IS a courthouse).

-The clerk will then charge you some money (in my case $35, cash or check only please) and call one of the judges upstairs to see if he/she is available.

-Next, you go upstairs to visit the judge in his/her chambers, the judge reviews your application and signs off. Take this to the title bureau and you'll be issued a CO (a.k.a. "Court Order" Title). Done.

--One thing of note: I got plenty of advice on this ahead of time from friends and they all told me to make up some b.s. story about "the bike has been in the family for years" or "just make a fake bill of sale" or blah, blah, b.s, blah. If you're the type of person that can sit across the desk from a judge, lie and get away with it, then good for you. Personally, judges scare the shit out of me so I told him the truth: swap meet bike, no bill of sale, etc. He just sized me up, said I looked honest and signed the paper.

A bill of sale would have probably made things go a little smoother, though.

Eric

Mark,

Okay, I got the title. If you, or anybody living in Ohio for that matter, needs to title an old bike but all you have is, say, a bill of sale here's what you can do:

-Go to your local county courthouse and ask the Clerk of Courts for a "Court Order Title" application. Its pretty straightforward stuff: vehicle description, your name, SSN, shit like that. There is one section where you provide a description of the circumstances under which you came to own the bike. Make sure you get this notorized (usually there is an in-house notary -- I mean, it IS a courthouse).

-The clerk will then charge you some money (in my case $35, cash or check only please) and call one of the judges upstairs to see if he/she is available.

-Next, you go upstairs to visit the judge in his/her chambers, the judge reviews your application and signs off. Take this to the title bureau and you'll be issued a CO (a.k.a. "Court Order" Title). Done.

--One thing of note: I got plenty of advice on this ahead of time from friends and they all told me to make up some b.s. story about "the bike has been in the family for years" or "just make a fake bill of sale" or blah, blah, b.s, blah. If you're the type of person that can sit across the desk from a judge, lie and get away with it, then good for you. Personally, judges scare the shit out of me so I told him the truth: swap meet bike, no bill of sale, etc. He just sized me up, said I looked honest and signed the paper.

Eric

quote:Originally posted by krapfever

Mark,

Eric

Man,that's great news!
    I motorcycle parts dealer I know SAY'S it's not hard to get a title in Indiana(he's done it several times),but I really don't know.

I have a CB200 I really need to see about getting a title for.
    That is if I don't turn it into a track day bike like my Hodaka.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by krapfever

Mark,

Eric

Man,that's great news!
    I motorcycle parts dealer I know SAY'S it's not hard to get a title in Indiana(he's done it several times),but I really don't know.

I have a CB200 I really need to see about getting a title for.
    That is if I don't turn it into a track day bike like my Hodaka.

Hey Eric,

Congratulations and thanks for posting up the info! I can definitely swing a B.O.S., the only real drawback for me in this process is that the county courthouse for me is in Downtown Cleveland, my least favorite place. I wonder if I could go to any county's courthouse?

Maybe we should start a "Caferacer Title Service" for Ohio bikes 200cc or less. Who'd we have to split the profits with for the use of the Caferacer name?

Hey Eric,

Congratulations and thanks for posting up the info! I can definitely swing a B.O.S., the only real drawback for me in this process is that the county courthouse for me is in Downtown Cleveland, my least favorite place. I wonder if I could go to any county's courthouse?

Maybe we should start a "Caferacer Title Service" for Ohio bikes 200cc or less. Who'd we have to split the profits with for the use of the Caferacer name?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links