Cafe Racer Forum banner

Need some input regarding trikes....

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  coreyjdl 
#1 ·
I know I know......however....

My Dad is getting old. There.....I said it. He's 65 and lived a tough life so he's more like 75+ when wear and tear is accounted for.
He's just not riding well anymore and in truth probably shouldn't be on two wheels. His balance it getting kinda sketchy and it shows when he's riding and as much as he regularly pisses me off I'd still hat to see him hurt himself or someone else on a bike.
At present he's got an 05 Sprint ST which compounds the issue because the foot pegs are just aggressively positioned enough to cause discomfort for him.

So I have a 96 Concours that's sitting collecting dust. It runs like a top, got it from a buddy for a grand with new tires and recent service. Frankly it's just not for me, too bulky but....I've been thinking of hanging an axle out back for a trike conversion for the old man.

I can do the fabrication myself so that's not an issue, it's already got bags and a large trunk fitted so some small fenders over the wheels and I think it's be usable. I think I'd build an ignition cut so that if one wheel (inside) is spinning significantly faster it'll cut power. The idea of course is to help cut the possibility of a highside.
As well, since it'll no longer have need to lean I can lower it quite a bit too in quest for a bit more stability.

Anyway, it kills me to see him either hesitate at the thought of riding as he's starting to recognize the issue....even if he won't admit it openly. Anyone have any thoughts of useful input on the subject?

See less See more
#2 ·
If doing a car axle conversion try to start with a shaft drive bike as it makes adaption a lot easier. Most bike conversion trikes use harley service car rear axles.

Personally, sell all of it and get him a can am sypder roadster, 10x more stable than a traditional trike.
http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/

#3 ·
only if you are going to be using a small car rear end.... like maybe a light alloy cast unit out of a vintage alfa or even an indy unit out of whatever

to use the HD rear differential.... and the later juice brake units are the only ones to fool with for real use...

they prefer a chain drive engine

the other thing....... trikes are typically quite heavy and it really is nice to engineer in a reverse gear

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

If doing a car axle conversion try to start with a shaft drive bike as it makes adaption a lot easier. Most bike conversion trikes use harley service car rear axles.

Personally, sell all of it and get him a can am sypder roadster, 10x more stable than a traditional trike.
http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/

#4 ·

I guess I have a finger on a couple servi car rear ends and even have a fabbed up rear section that I think has cb750 engine mounts in place

and even a bt electric start cased 3 speed reverse

#5 ·
A couple in the area had a set of metermaid CX 500 (shaft drive) and they had Jeep axles in them. That was an interesting set up.
Have you thought about using those training wheel type of trike add on things that seam to be popular with the Harley people? It just adds 2 wheels on the side of the rear wheel for stability and looks like a trike.
DG

#6 ·
Thanks for the input guys:

Geets:
The Concours is a shafty which is what brought it to mind. It's got lots of poop for real world riding, torque out the wang and for those of that ilk...the fairing is not-quite-Goldwing big but still give lots of protection. I rode it home in the rain in street cloths and while my legs and arms were pretty moist my body stayed pretty good.

I agree that Can-Am would be a great solution......except he has an unreasonable hatred of the things. I took him to a dealer to look at one and he all but had a tantrum. He can deal with a more standard trike though.....weird old man.....

Hack:
I've done a bit more searching and it looks like I can get a complete aluminum rear end out of a late model Isuzu Trooper. It would be overkill as far as strength is concerned but it's pretty light and I can do the machining adn tig for narrowing one side a bit. Plus it's got discs and the Hall effect sensors from the anti-lock can be used for my ignition cut.

Mr.Fischer: Heh....another thing the grouchy old bastard can't stand....training wheels. He rips on anyone riding a set...personally I think it's a fine idea if that suits....however......

Anyone else have anything on the subject to add? What about front end treatment? Are there things that need to or can be done up front to ensure a pleasant experience? I've seen a lot of leading link front ends on sidehacks but not on symmetrical trikes......thoughts?

#8 ·
How much does the Trooper rear weigh?

My guess would be incredibly heavy compared to some of the tiny sports car stuff that would also be overkill.

I'd also guess a tach signal would do just fine for your stutter box but if you were to take a signal off the wheel hubs....

you'd have no ignition cut out in the lower gears or if you did

it would limit your top speed

#10 ·
Imlost: Perhaps you should stay lost.........

Texy: Yeah...no. He hates'em...too bad I kinda like it too. Oh well, I needed yet another project.

Hack: Yeah you're probably right. I'm still looking into options. There's supposed to be a joint here in town that makes rear ends for Ledgends racers so that's certainly an option.

#11 ·
i am with texy and geeto on this...i thought the Spyder was the worst thing in the world, that is until i road one. now i am saving every penny to pick up a used one. they also come in automatic in case the ankles aren't working to well. keep your eyes peeled for a used, or even a crashed one for a nice rebuild.

#13 ·
that can-am has gotten terrible reviews everywhere. they have some sort of traction control deal that cuts power from the wheels when they slip,ie, when you lift the inside wheel in a corner, which happens pretty easy, you lose half your power. Also I got stuck behind two of those douche bags on my favorite mtn. road Not to impressed

#17 ·
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Wow...that's um..........hehe...wow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.