featherbed range of wheelbase
Close

This is a discussion on featherbed range of wheelbase within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Is there a general range of wheelbase for bikes based on a featherbed? I know it's a vague question and frankly I can't remember why ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there a general range of wheelbase for bikes based on a featherbed? I know it's a vague question and frankly I can't remember why it even occurred to me to ask...coulda been the maker's mark last night.....
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

54 inches, or less makes, for a nice flick-able f-bed

this means if you put anything like say...... an oil bag triumph swing-arm one one so you can us something other than a ten speed bicycle width rear tire... and of course be rid of those miserable "silent-bloc" bushing excuses

you have to shorten the swing-arm

plenty of them out there with wheel bases 60" or more

can't even imagine why

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Perect! Thanks for the info..
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

and if you want pix...... I have plenty

including a flipped and shortened oil bag arm swinging from a one off machined axle using timken taper bearings fully adjustable for preload and side to side

I think I may also have pix of one with a XS650 swing arm wiggling about on one with nearly a 60 inch wheelbase too

seems to me it would be nifty to derake one and shorten a swingarm even more to come up with something around 52 inches

are you doing one? be sure and fab up a for real headstock brace if you plan on punishing it

one here has a four inch tubular headstock brace that carries the engine oil very well
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

HackA,
    With the right unit construction engine, would it be possible to use a long swing arm and just move the pivot farther forward to shorten the wheel base and still keep a longer swing arm?

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Most unit construction engines I've seen fitted to fbeds appear to need something that drastic sounding

a unit triumph for example is about 16" OAL

room for nearly a ten pound ham in the engine cradle once a unit triumph lump is in place

I would guess that relocating the swing arm pivot would be very doable but I'd say the easiest way to do it, that didn't look like a hat full of open azz, would be to section it out of the duplex cradle section that the engine/tranny goes into

do you want some numbers as far as stock swing arm lengths and others?

I'm thinking that off the top of my head the oil bag tri swing arm is about 1.5" longer than the stock fbed unit

that fbed swing arm is pathetic

are you thinking about a 'long' swing arm for hill climbing, drag racing, or just overall more straight line stability?

one of the neat things about the fbed is that it's one of the few stiff vintage frames you can easily obtain GP unforgivingly fast steering wheelbases

sorry for the runon and hope you can decipher it

a neat fbed with a compact unit engine that may still be out there to be found on the net is Greg Sommerton's (I think I spelled that correctly but if not, sorry Greg) typ15 jawa 500

worth doing some google image searches for

I really want one of those engines with the bevel gears but would settle for a spur engine

You mean this:

yeah man.... that particular typ15 is a bevel engine and he did a nice job of laying it in the frame without it looking like 'where's the rest of it?'

but I can't imagine how he rides it, being as tall as he is, with the pegs where they are and clip ons so very low

I'm not sure I could for very long but maybe the camera angle makes him appear taller

That's a cool bike
    ~Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links