I have to buy a new TV and I'm not happy about it
Close

This is a discussion on I have to buy a new TV and I'm not happy about it within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Any opinions? We only have basic cable (10 channels) and don't watch much. We don't need anything larger than 30 inches or so. Flat screen ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any opinions? We only have basic cable (10 channels) and don't watch much. We don't need anything larger than 30 inches or so. Flat screen is the way to go, right? So which one?

We had a Philips big box, I think it was 27 inches. Bought it less than 3 years ago. The main fuse blew twice (You wouldn't believe the number of people on the web that said their TV was broke and bought a new one just because the fuse inside was blown) So then, what happens last week, was the right and left sides go concave for 5- 10 minutes. That I can live with. But now the set went to just black and white. Now I grew up with black and white tv, so I can deal, but it sucks watching the occasional movie.

So . . . I am not going to buy Philips again (I bought Philips in the past because that was where my Dad worked) so anyone have recommendations? There are all kinds of scary stories out there about low quality flat screens that after a few months or weeks just go black. I'm willing to spend up to $1000.00. Is that even enough? Is Best buy or circuit city better or are they all assholes? Sears? Independents? Near Portland, Maine.
    Inertial dynos just make people cranky

Ya know, I may just give you our old TV when my wife finally decides to buy a new one. Its a big 32" sony, and the picture shifted to the right 2" a few years ago. Everything else is fine, but the picture on the right side is overlapped 2", and a black border is on the left side.

She wants a fancy new TV. Waste of money, IMO. Better spent on porting for the RZ project. Yes, a digital TV would be nice and all. But I hate the amount of money we're shelling out to Comcast every month. Damn monopoly. Need comcast for the cable modem, can't get FIOS out where we live.

Do LOTS of research before buying a new TV. Especially with the new digital standards rolling out. LCDs have made big strides recently and prices are falling. Find a model you want, and start checking all the online sale sites. Bargains to be had.

I just bought a 40" samsung for $1400 from Circuit City, with 1080pixels and 120hz. the normal television rate is 60hz but I play a lot of ps3 and wanted the accelerated rate for the action. I know you can get the same size for half the money if you are willing to go with 60hz and 720 pixels. From what I have heard samsungs are awesome in the original sense of the word, and everyone I know that has one has had no problems so far. Flat panels are cheap these days, you can get ones in the 30 inch sizes for under $500 and some of them are as low as $350. the last tube TV I paid for was more than $500 for 38 inches (although I have had that TV for almost a decade and it has a VCR built in).

Check Cnet for prices, circuit city has a deal where if you can find it cheaper at a major retailer they will give you that price. I have found my store has better instore deals than what is on the web also.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

And by flat panel, he means LCD, not Plasma.

quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

And by flat panel, he means LCD, not Plasma.
    yes you are correct LCD not plasma, I should have been clearer.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

evil,

i'd buy used. check craigslist. hell, a few years ago i got rid of a big screen projection hitachi for a case of beer. i really like beer!

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

I got an Olevia 32" LCD for under $600 at BJ Wholesale. They sold wall mounting units for $90. I have had it for over a year and it has given me no problems. There may be some good used deals out there as well.

http://shop.bjs.com/Olevia-32--34--W...VVviewprod.htm

pete,

whay doesn't your old man go up and fix evil's set with his awesome tools?

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

I'm still using my dead grandmother's 1984 27" stereo Curtis-Mathis. You can barely hear the stereo. But back then, it was top of the line. I hope I never have to spend money to replace it.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

I bought a 47" Samsung last winter and I love it. It was rated the top entry level LCD at the time and was the only LCD that had 1080p when I bought it. It was between that and a 42" Pioneer Plasma. I really liked the plasma as it was also the highest rated model but in the end I got the Samsung on sale for $350 less than normal AND I got 3 years no interest. It's paid for, but I didn't want to hand it all to them at once... I have heard nothing but good things about Samsung LCD's since I bought mine. The one thing I did notice is that these HDTV's throw off a lot of heat. There are a lot of deals to be had on the internet so shop around. Read reviews on each model you are looking at since there are some of the cheaper ones that are real shit.
    \'07 Yamaha FZ6 (pseudo adventure bike)
    \'10 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Wifes bike and my playtoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links