CB350 twin owners: Top speed? - Page 3
Close

CB350 twin owners: Top speed?

This is a discussion on CB350 twin owners: Top speed? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Guess what! I just discovered that my bike is equipped with the rare "miles per half-hour" speedometer option. So I'm actually going 190mph. So I ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guess what! I just discovered that my bike is equipped with the rare "miles per half-hour" speedometer option. So I'm actually going 190mph. So I guess I'm way faster than ALL you clowns. I knew those Mikunis were a good idea. *cue evil laughter*

But seriously, I haven't actually gone 130 on my H1. I haven't gone any speed for that matter, since I had to take it apart into a hundred pieces to get it home, and haven't got it back together yet. It's a long story, and a 6000 mile, original paint, super nice H1. I was just going off the top speed reported in the factory specs. I was also quoting the factory HP figures for the CB350. On the same note, it seems that the H1 should be able to reach a lot higher speed than 105-110. Let's say my CB350 really does make an honest 36hp. I've verified that indicated speed on my CB350 is accurate, and it can hit 95 with its 36hp. A H1 and a CB350 are probably aerodynamically similiar (not very aero). The H1 has 24hp up on the 350, almost double the horsepower. I know that wind resistance increases as the square of vehicle speed or something like that, but with all its extra power, I would think it could muster more than a 10mph advantage over the CB.

As far as the clean undies go.... I LAUGH AT DANGER! HA HA HA!
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'72 Yamaha R5/RD350 hybrid
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead
    -a bunch of other old Jap bikes

top speed on a stock 1972 CB 350 is 102.5 as far as factory specs go.....

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cb_350_1972.php

Craig, please post pics of your awesome bike.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I hope that is overly optimistic. I know factory specs often are. If it's true, than my bike is slower than stock in spite of all the time I've invested in hopping it up. That would be a bummer.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'72 Yamaha R5/RD350 hybrid
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead
    -a bunch of other old Jap bikes

Once you get to a certain aero dynamic point it takes 10 hp or more to go one mph faster.

To give you an idea of how much aero plays into it, in the early 1990s cycle world did a test of hopped up sport bikes that could potentially do 200 mph. Of the ones that could actually see 200 (barely), most promptly eurpted the rear tire into a rolling burnout rather than refusing to go faster, the aerodynamics simply overcame the traction. Now look at today's sport bikes which are capible of 200 mph with very little mods - it only took significant aero mods and almost twice the hp.

Now imagine the same thing with your h1 vs cb. Really after 110 on a naked bike it doesn't matter how much hp you have you really are not getting much faster, and you are really not going to see past 105 unless you are significantly over that 50 hp mark.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

sid,

call nancy, she'll tell the truth. just so you know, rosko is the only one on this thread that doesn't have his tongue in his cheek. a stock CB350 (any many of us here race them) will make about 28hp max, so your 36 is a mistake...i promise. and that kind of hp will get you close to 100mph....maybe.

IMSLOW and craig have very nicely built CB350 engines (everything modified) and are likely in the low 40s hp range and could easily crack 100mph...but it's cornerspeed that matters anyway.

it sounds like your bike is right where it should be. it's mostly thought that carb and header/exhaust mods don't change Hp very much at all as the valves are the primary limiting factor to Hp gains. so if you want to go faster in a straight line, which is kinda boring anyway, you'll have to build the engine.

oh, and you should ask craig for pics of his bike....it's awesome.

-tt

craigs bike is pretty. and i think it actually still has the same body work it started the season with! congrats craig! theres a thread here somewhere. i think it was in the 136mph guys thread, with the 65 hp bike. chris got 48hp, under 115mph, under the bubble on the banking at daytona. with the ahrma gun. tached out, with gearing, and a tailwind. (om soo tired of repeating that)

why does anyone really care how fast they go anyway??

mines the slowest one out there. i just ride it fast.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

and tt's right.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

FYI- everything else being equal, power required rises with the cube of velocity, which means it takes 8 times as much power to go twice as fast.

So, if'n your stock bike goes 100 mph on 28 hp, 140mph would take roughly 28 * (140/100)^3 = 2.74 * 28 = 76.8 hp

For reference, my 900ss puts out about that much power, and goes about that fast...
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

That would be IF you kept the bike the same. Anyone dumping that kind of time and money into a motor aint putting it in that heap o shite. I know craigs bike is close to 100 lbs. lighter than stock. Others have gone even further.

so if you can get mid 90's from a 380 lb. bike with 28 hp what can you get from a 46 hp bike weighing 280?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links