US street thumpers: GB500 vs. SRX600 - Page 2
Close

US street thumpers: GB500 vs. SRX600

This is a discussion on US street thumpers: GB500 vs. SRX600 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; It seems clear to me that Yamaha was building a modern performance single. Just look at it, triple disc brakes vs single disc and drum ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FR
    It seems clear to me that Yamaha was building a modern performance single. Just look at it, triple disc brakes vs single disc and drum on the Honda. Honda was building a tribute to the older Brit "classics".
    I agree that the Honda is a prettier bike, but I'd choose the Yamaha, especially that Silver one. You usually see the red one like Hoof's, which is OK too.
    Yeah, anyway, I like the statement that Yamaha was making with that bike. They had already done the tribute bike, the SR500, so this was more like, "how do you like me now?".
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

OOoohh ! This is a no brainer . An SRX will blow the doors off a GB500 hands down . Better power , better handling , better everything . The only reason it died so early in this country is because a lot of slothy mullet headed motherfuckers were too lazy to kickstart and the whole " Bigger is better " idea. An SRX parked next to a FZ600 at the time folks I guess got all flamwoozled at the graphics and fairing . Silly bastards .
    I know I loved mine . Great bike . It was maple red ( the only color in the states ) but I wound up getting it done Mercedes Metallic Black.
    If they call a sheep a ram.
    And a donkey an ass.
    Why do they call a ram in the ass a goose?

The odd thing about the SRX is that the euro SRX was 604cc and the U.S. model was 595cc. The reason being the 595cc motor from the XT was EPA certified and Yamaha didn't expect to sell too many. So they didn't bother to get the 604cc motor certified. Wanker is right. The lack of electric start and only one cylinder killed it.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

leo
    The SRX is the biz. The Honda is ultimately poseur nostalgia. ( Which I'm usually a big fan of). I'm also not convinced it's as pretty as it's cracked up to be. Visually I find it blocky and dense.

But embracing the minimalist, cafe philosophy of form following function, and on the sliding scale of all the previously stated opinions, The Yamaha is actually one of the few relatively new bikes I would love to have in my stable.

Cheers,
    Leo

ps- it's interesting to me that both bikes, while seemingly on the fringe of the marketplace, have both held their values very well. Cool is cool. And any reasonably handsome big single is timeless.

That new Derbi really had me pining for a single for a minute. I had found a GB in good nick last year. Took it for a test ride and when I returned the owner, instead of saying "so what do you think?" or something similar he just says "I can't do it"

I totally understood.

That said my SV is spoken for and if anyone has or comes across an SRX or GB for sale at a ghetto fabulous price please shoot me an email!!

That Derbi has had me pining for more than a minute. Smart owner. I let my SRX go. At least i was smart enough to hold on to the Norton.

P.S. I wish you hadn't started this thread. I'm having sellers remorse even though it was 12 years since I sold it. The worse part is I know where it is and I've known the current owner for 25 years.
    [img][/img]
    By weslake at 2008-11-06

what about the mz skorpion? updated and overbored srx with stiffer frame? or theres always the duc supermono 570.
    scott from chicago
    (ahrma 527)

Well, If we are going to go wandering off I might as well throw in the ultimate single.

[img][/img]
    By weslake at 2008-11-06

Rosko,
    Are you interested in a street single? I recommend the Ascot. The motor is the equal of the SRX for street use. The handling needs to be upgraded a little but is very easy. A CBR600 front end and wheels practically bolt right on along with a good set of shocks. I have my eye on another one right now for $300 on craigslist here in Minneapolis. There are a ton of motor performance parts available and they are way easy to work on. I can set you up with one with CBR wheels on it for a fair price if you want.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links