Cafe Racer Forum banner

Road Trip to Millwaukee

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  champ 
#1 ·
I'll be heading to Millwaukee WI during the thanksgiving weekend and have room for 1 bike if any body needs transport from the N.E area.

#2 ·
Champ. As most people in here know. I grew up in Milwaukee. Yes, I can't shut up about the place.

My brother says the HD museum is a must visit. If you are near the East side, you have to head over to Nomad's World Pub. http://www.nomadworldpub.com/flash.html
They have a huge selection of beer.

For bike parts, lots of vintage japanese parts and bikes, make sure you stop by Milwaukee Motorcycle Salavage. http://www.milwaukeecycle.com/index_02.htm

The last time I was there they had two pretty good CB77 they were willing to pratically give away. (I just had no space, time or money for them). My brother-n-law picked up a S90 for under $200. Just be willing to spend a few hours roaming around their storage shed.

Pete

#4 ·
its friggin cold here, don't forget your heavy jacket! while you're at the H-D museum, have a bite at the motor cafe. they've got some decent grub and mix some pretty mean cocktails! you can even see where my triumph left a big black stain on their orange parking lot :)

#5 ·
Hell yeah, bring your hat, mittens, long johns, hand warmers, etc. It's been a cold ass November. Every morning I've been scraping my windows as it's usually right around mid 20's to low 30's. Today I was able to take my CL175 on a quick run up and down my street but I wussed out and came back. lol. I've heard nothing but good things about the HD museum as it's huge and really cool. I'm not a Harley guy but I wanna check it out next time I head down to Miltown.

#6 ·
thanks guys........its freakin cold and windy here in New Hampshire as well. So.....dch and i are picking up 2 bikes. 1 in flint mi and 1 in milwaukee. bringing 1 bike to milwaukee. really dont know how much time we will have to site see. ive been to milwaukke before and toured the shlitz brewery!! took the ferry across the big lake to get there.

#13 ·
quote:Originally posted by Pete Casper

For bike parts, lots of vintage japanese parts and bikes, make sure you stop by Milwaukee Motorcycle Salavage. http://www.milwaukeecycle.com/index_02.htm
I have to put in my two cents...rode to work one morning and while i was inside someone here backed into my CB. blew the taillight lens apart. so first place i head to is the MCS. GREAT parts selection, but holy horrible customer service batman!!

the rudest people that i have ever dealt with, but i will continue to shop there because they own the market up here.

For all you Milwaukee folks, you might want to check this guy out:

http://www.waynes-cycles.com/

cheap parts and has barely no over head so you will get a better price.

#15 ·
quote:Originally posted by oneworden

I have to put in my two cents...rode to work one morning and while i was inside someone here backed into my CB. blew the taillight lens apart. so first place i head to is the MCS. GREAT parts selection, but holy horrible customer service batman!!

the rudest people that i have ever dealt with, but i will continue to shop there because they own the market up here.
really? i've gotten great service there. they've even let me loose in the basement so i could just look around for what i wanted.

#18 ·
thanks for all the caferacer support!!!

dch and i are picking 2 bultacos. 1 in millwaukee and 1 in flint, mi.
we are leaving turkey day and hope to be back here in n.e. sat eve.

QUESTION. does anybody know what the deal is to cross canada with a couple of old unregistered mtorcycles that were just purchased,with out titles titles?? any border crossing issues we need to know??

#20 ·
Canada is a dicey subject, coming from one who has been searched more often than he cares to admit (I have since cut off a LOT of hair). My opinion is this: If you look respectable, and have a believable story, they won't stop or search you. I have transported my bike across the border a dozen times, and have never been asked for papers. The trick is to not look like a terrorist or drug dealer.

That said, they can stop & search you for whatever reason they like. Simply by crossing the border you give consent to be searched. Make certain you declare all contraband, and you'll have no problem.

Flint/Durand is just up the road. If you have an hour to spare, let me (and catboy - who must get searched every crossing, to judge by the look of him) buy the pints.

#21 ·
Champ,
Will they even let you into Canada?

Can Champ look respectable?

Ken

#24 ·
Champ,

One other thing, probably more important than the motorcycles over the border. Make sure you have the special insurance card that proves you have car insurance for Canada. If you have a local agent make sure you stop there and pick up the insurance card before you go. If you've got an internet agent, e.g. Geico, you're screwed. They'll mail it to you and you'll never have it in time for your trip. The card isn't something they'll ask for at the border but if you get in an accident and don't have that there's a big fine.

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.