looking at a couple bikes
Close

This is a discussion on looking at a couple bikes within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I am looking to get my wife a bike to learn on and a bike for me to make into a cafe style bike when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am looking to get my wife a bike to learn on and a bike for me to make into a cafe style bike when she moves up. There are two bikes I have found locally that I am interested in.

Bike one; 1969 Honda CB175 - Guy says it runs, was registered last year and driven as recent as September. Needs a new seat and a new plug wire (coil) as they fell victim to his puppy. Bike has a good title and is all there and looks pretty good too. $400 obo

Bike two; 1982 Honda Ascot 500 - doesn't run at the moment, needs a starter and the carb cleaned. Also needs new tires and brakes. Guy doesn't have a title but will get one for me if I give him a week to apply for it. Looks good and is complete. $450 obo

Opinions? I like the 175 but I don't want her to have a bike that is too under powered to ride on the local 55MPH roads. But I think it would make a nice cafe bike when she wants something bigger. The Ascot is big enough without being too big but would it make a good cafe candidate? It requires more work too but I'm not afraid of that just don't want spring to come around and have her without a bike though.
    \'07 Yamaha FZ6 (pseudo adventure bike)
    \'10 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Wifes bike and my playtoy.

the 175's do about 80 mph.. but you wouldn't want to hit the highway with one... I'm building one for my girlie as we speak, same year and everything.

Not going on the highway but on the country roads where the speed limit is 55 I don't want her to not be able to keep up. I am thinking I want the 175 also since it runs and has a clear title. I just wanted to know others opinions. Maybe there are things I haven't thought of.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

leo
    CB175

Leo

Ascot!!!
    It probably doesn't need a starter. They have well known issues with the starter drive that can be fixed many times by cleaning, polishing and lubricating. They have tons of cafe potential. Great handling and plenty of power. You need to keep the counter balancer chain adjusted, but that is not hard to do. I have built and raced plenty of them and am working on another one this winter. I paid $400 for mine with a title this fall. With a starter problem, offer him $350 if he gets the title.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

I'm with Ken on this, the ascot is the better riding bike in this situation. Although the ascot may insure she doesn't move up for a while since it is a highway safe bike.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

The ascot is a V twin, isn't it? Those are nice looking bikes. Is the 175 a sloper?

I would buy the 175 though. It may be a little slow for you, and it will be wound out max all the time you are riding on the open road. I have a CA 160 and I pull over for traffic but it is a really fun bike to ride, and I CAN buzz along at an indicated 80 mph hoping it won't explode. I weight 215. I do expect that the speedo is off a little. Borrow or buy a coil ( or maybe a half assed splice job) to be sure it really does run though.

In my opinion you could always get rid of the 175 and maybe even make a couple bucks if you decide it isn't big enough. On the ascot the fact it doesn't run could mean more than the carb needs cleaning. 1982 bikes are a little new for me too

Jack

The ascot was available as a twin or a single but all 82s were singles.

buy em both
    scott from chicago
    (ahrma 527)

I would love to buy them both but if I get 2 new bikes I don't think I can say they are BOTH for her... I am going to look at the 175 tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I'm going to look at the Ascot on Saturday. I will then take my wife to see whichever one I think she will like and decide from there. She has to like it too before i can buy it. No point in buying her a bike she doesn't want to ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links