Honda 500 V twin
Close

Honda 500 V twin

This is a discussion on Honda 500 V twin within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Anyone know anything about the Ascot/Shadow 500 motor? It looks pretty compact in all dimensions except maybe height. It is cheaper than an NT650 motor ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Honda 500 V twin

Anyone know anything about the Ascot/Shadow 500 motor? It looks pretty compact in all dimensions except maybe height. It is cheaper than an NT650 motor yet very similar. Can this be easily converted to chain drive by pulling the angle drive? Any particular problems with them? I am wondering because there is one locally that I can get pretty cheap and am thinking of eventually building my own frame (stupid Foale book) and wanted to start looking for a good donor engine to build the bike around and wanted something different.
    ------------------
    \"I\'m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.\"

https://www.caferacer.net/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8571
    the buck and a quarter cafe

Anyone? Bueller?
    ------------------
    \"I\'m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.\"

ken essex is our resident ascot expert. I'm sure he will chime in.

The Tony foale frame seems to work best with across the frame inline fours since you can slope the tube downward past the head and not worry about running into a second cylinder, unless you had some crazy idea about bending the backbone a la confederate or R.E. engineering.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I wasn't planning on building a Foale frame, per se, but I was inspired to build my own because of his books. I've got a few crazy ideas. I may build a Ducati-style frame, or it may end up with a Hossack front fork or something crazy like that. I may even play with giving it a CVT so wifey can ride it. I won the auction for $6.50, so I am prepared to take a chance with the motor, but if anyone tells me that it is shit, I can just pay him the money and tell him to keep it.
    ------------------

There is nothing wrong with the v-twin Ascot, other than it is shaft drive. I don't know of anybody converting it to chain, but it did not have much annoying drive line lash, so I would go ahead and use it. The Shadow had a 16" rear and the Ascot had a 18" rear, so you would have some choices there. Back when I was in the business we almost never saw any of the smaller twins in for repair or service. I think it would be a fine first frame project since the drive train is already fixed in place.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

always take the motor - worst case scenario is you can build a chopper or a flattracker out of it, or power a go kart, or make a generator, or......well you get the idea.

You want something really unique - go find a mid 1990s ninja 250 and drop the ascot motor in that, it will make more than a few ducati and hd guys turn their heads to see a v-twin powered sportbike.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Well thanks for the info. I may just keep it a shaftie, then. What really made me think that it could ba a chain drive is that all the NT motors are, and there is a guy in ebay that has a sprocket cover listed for a VT500, which shows a sprocket along with. Now, I did not initially believe this was correct and thought maybe he meant for an FT Ascot, but all of the other parts he has are for a VT ascot, so maybe I'll throw him the $5 just to see.
    ------------------

Good ideas, Geets. I bet I could find one of those ragged out Chinese "sportbike" frames and hang that thing in there for street legality, then fab up my own rear suspension parts (I have a small stockpile of bits) and hang whatever suspension parts from the front that I want. It would make a good flat tracker, too (that is what the FT in VT500FT or FT500 was supposed to be for, anyhow.)
    ------------------

In case anyone cared, I got it for $6.50. Through a network of people from another board, it got delivered to my house free of charge. I like the ideas behind the Lockheed Lounge shown on the Hell For Leather site, so I may go that direction (definitely doing a Hossack fork.)
    ------------------

one of the worst things honda did was saddle the ascot with shaft drive and all that extra weight. Keep it light, keep it sporty. BMW manages to build performance bikes with shaft drives so why not you.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links