Thoughts on a 35mm fork upgrade
Close

This is a discussion on Thoughts on a 35mm fork upgrade within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So I think I'm wanting to get rid of the OEM 1975 Honda boatanchor forks. I'd kinda like to stick with 35mm so I don't ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

So I think I'm wanting to get rid of the OEM 1975 Honda boatanchor forks. I'd kinda like to stick with 35mm so I don't have to worry about swapping triples though ultimately I could machine new ones to suit any fork I want I suppose.

However, is there a relatively modern (lighter and prehaps cartridge style) 35mm fork option out there? I can adapt cartridge emulators to my existing pogo-sticks but they'd still be massively heavy and I'd like to continue shaving flab off this porky bitch.

So...anyone have any insights?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

first gen ex500s are 36mm. just a thought. The spacing may be off.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I can bore an extra millimeter out of my existing triples. That's a thought for certain.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Why not VFR250 forks....they are 35mm?

Also they are air forks...have an air fitting on the top.
    JohnnyB

somewhere on the web is a fork seal application guide. This will tell you what bikes have 35mm tubes. It won't give you any other dimensions but it is a start.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Yeah but VTR250s have wierd inboard cast iron brake disks.

http://www.chopperfix.com/forums/vie...c0c9caa34740f7

Fork tube diameters are near the bottom. I think it would be easier to swap the triples, which this guide will help you do because it has all the upper and lower bearing dimensions listed as well.

I dont know what modle Honda you have, but you might look at early CBR600s. the spindle on the lower triple clamp uses the same dia. bearings as most Hondas with 35mm forks, and they have cartridge valves. They are lighter weight too. I have a '75 CB500t, I put CB400f fork on it they fit. you have to shim the bearing a bit and chang the steering stops. The CBR600 also has a 20mm axle so unles you like those Disco looking alloy wheels, you have co change the bearings in a spoke wheel. THe CB500t wheel is the same wheel as many mid sized Honda from this era, I bought new CBR600 WHeel bearings and they fit. these bearings are sealed so I just reamed the seal on the bearing retainer nut to 20mm and cut a piece of pipe to use as a spacer between the bearings
    \'78CB750f,\'76 cb500t,\'5-CB/CL450 basketcases,\'68 CL175,\'66 CA77/in a CL72 frame,\'1971 DT1f,1988cbr1000f,1987cbr1000f

There is a CBR600 front fork and triple clamp on E-bay for $60. + $18. shipping. There's a lot of CBR parts out there, cheap, and it's 20 years better technology, it's usualy lighter and stronger, and still suported by aftermarket suppliers. also it look cool.
    \'78CB750f,\'76 cb500t,\'5-CB/CL450 basketcases,\'68 CL175,\'66 CA77/in a CL72 frame,\'1971 DT1f,1988cbr1000f,1987cbr1000f

I used the forks off a GS 750 (I dont remember the year) They were 35mm and worked great with the CB triples .They had an anti dive thing on the front. I had to machine the caliper mounting lugs to get the calipers to fit the discs (CB 550). I had to drop the forks(inner spacer) to get rid of the 3 inches that was originally above the top tree.
    I probably did more mods to get them to work with the CB wheel, but it was years ago and I dont remember the details.
    DG

Quote from Vanna White

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...VannaWhite.jpg

Fishhead Big Brakes
    http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow

Good info all 'round.
    I have a fairly well stocked wrecker 5 miles from my shop and another REALLY well stocked one 25miles or so away. I think I'll go poke around and see what I can come up with but I'm now leaning away from 35mm and may even consider USDs if I can find a good deal on a pair of straight ones.....I think finding them straight may be difficult but I dunno for sure.
    In any case I think I'll just hog out some new triples unless something OEM really sticks out whilst in-situ....
    ~Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links