Any pre-y2k state of the art electronics techies?
Close

This is a discussion on Any pre-y2k state of the art electronics techies? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm putzing about with a project and wondering if anyone here has some hands on. Big Italian made plasma, the kind that airports/terminal type places ...

I'm putzing about with a project and wondering if anyone here has some hands on. Big Italian made plasma, the kind that airports/terminal type places and production crews had at that time. I'm considering getting brave enough to replace the glass from the front side. Wondering if anyone has been there from the correct side but I am pretty sure I don't want to gut the whole thing and probably wouldn't even if I had a free piece of sapphire mineral crystal to replace the cracked glass which is only bothersome when it's turned off.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Is it really worth it? I've never replaced the glass on a plasma, but I would think the cost of the glass alone would be pretty expensive. As far as the actual process, I'm sure it's not that difficult. Electronics are nice that way, there's usually only one way to put it back together.

best I can tell it's just plain glass so it should cost only a bit more than a bag of dirt

well.... I seriously doubt anyone ever intended the glass in this one to come out and go back in from the front

and I have no intentions of having to gut every last piece from it to do the the only way it's supposed to be done

so yeah, it might be worth it to me to stab at it if I had xray vision or somebody that may have been inside one to share a few bits of info

is that you?

if so, it's probably a waste of keystrokes trying to coax me rational about this scheme
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

ok, I completely gutted it and looks like replacing the glass will be easier than crapping in the well and a lot safer

anyone have any idea what type of glass would be appropriate?

this appears to be one layer of oddly tinted untempered stuff.

I suppose the color heat adjustment range could compensate for no tint or not the exact same tint?

the electronics on this are quite interesting

fixable virtually forever as long as the screen doesn't die

and if it does the remains would make one heck of a picture or mirror frame with a james bond kinda twist

I would recommend plexiglass or safety glass. as for the tinting, it's there to cut glare and probably IR transmission, but if it doesn't bother you don't worry about it.

Well, since you've seen that the glass is fairly easily removable, take a piece to a good glass shop and I'd bet they can help you out. As to the tint, scratch at it with something with an edge and see if it's a sheet coating or other external treatment.

Plex may work well also though I'd go to the expense of lexan if it were me. Both glass and either type of plastic can be had treated for glare so that's not an issue either. I kinda surprised that the old plasma had a separate screen plate separate from the boundary plate, especially with the old stuff. Luck for you, most certainly!
    You may be able to contact the manufacturer a and get a recommendation for the exact material.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

well thanks guys, Upon closer inspection I have discovered it is actually THREE thin sheets of glass, two of which give all signs of not being tempered

however, I am not so sure how multi layered tempered glass does or does not crack

I do have a near bullet proof laminated glass table top

but it's heavy stuff

Sponsored Links