Hackasaw, saw this and thought of you..
Close

This is a discussion on Hackasaw, saw this and thought of you.. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/1093892451.html...

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Servi-cars are cool. They had a transmission with reverse since they were a big, three-wheeled thing, but the tranny was externally similiar enough that it would fit into a normal 2-wheeled Harley. Good story: When I was a little kid my dad had a few antique Harleys and Indians. One of his Harleys didn't have the original transmission, and he got a good deal on a Servi-car unit, so in it went. One day some time later my dad came home all bloodied and scraped up. He was bikering around with some of his buddies when he decided that he'd see how fast he could ride in reverse (on a 2-wheeled bike). They were in the parking lot of a grocery store, so there were lots of witnesses to the horrible crash he got into at pretty high backwards speed. Any time I crash one of my bikes while doing something stupid (frequently), my dad calls me a dumbass and gives me a hard time, but I remind him of this story and he shuts up.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'72 Yamaha R5/RD350 hybrid
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead
    -a bunch of other old Jap bikes

I had to stand outside the door and find somebody that knew of this click thru but thanks

I wonder how ride-able that one is. Often one set up like that will ride you until you manage to find the magic needed to get it rolling without it's head stock shaking enough to rip your arms out of their sockets.

As far as I know the transmission cases were pretty much the same thru the years as far as reverse was concerned. The exception being the electric start cases but they could all be used with or without be the reverse gears. To add reverse gear, two gears and a bit of extra shimming. The electric start could be used on the kick only cases. The internal differences did away with the trippers used for make the kick start ratchet work and a counter shaft cluster that had no provisions for the kicker ratchet. Different bushing on that side and the counter shaft itself fit the bushing as well as not being machined for the kicker bits.

The older BT 4 speeds could give up a forward gear and take a reverse gear set and a four speed cluster has been available for the 45 cases for a while.

I'd have to say their are one of the most miserable transmissions to build/blueprint.

Many selective needle rollers (get your micrometer out!) and lots of thrust/shim washers are required. Common is to get just about the whole transmission into spec and find out the last selective shim washer needed to put the whole mainshaft into spec, doesn't exist unless you make it. Lots of pre-geometric tolerancing stack heights to tame.

Very crude but very durable.

Mine has the USA made hydra-glide front end with the factory raked trees. Right hand shift and left hand throttle too.

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I found a matching front tire and chrome front brake backing plate as well as the chrome hubcap for the non-brake side

now if I could just find some of those solid spoke covers, the old smooth ones

I'd paint them black, could knock off the baby moons when it's time to make a shine run
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Why not spin up some aluminum "moon discs" yourself (or contact someone who does metal spinning?
    I know Moon has made discs up to at least 22" so you should be able to source something that'd work..
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Why not spin up some aluminum "moon discs" yourself (or contact someone who does metal spinning?
    I know Moon has made discs up to at least 22" so you should be able to source something that'd work..
    ~Albert Einstein

well mild steel would be fine

would hate to waste perfectly polish-able aluminum by painting it black

it's been about three or four years ago that a few sets of the exact set I'd like to have were on the bay

NOS and they didn't fetch 60 bucks

I'm thinking I'll scrounge around and find some end cap on a tank or something that will give it up for my cause

in fact, you have me thinking

it seems like I have a small RV water heater tank that probably would be just about the right size and I'm thinking the end caps are shaped just about right

maybe buried in the aluminum stock, I'll have to go look

well mild steel would be fine

would hate to waste perfectly polish-able aluminum by painting it black

it's been about three or four years ago that a few sets of the exact set I'd like to have were on the bay

NOS and they didn't fetch 60 bucks

I'm thinking I'll scrounge around and find some end cap on a tank or something that will give it up for my cause

in fact, you have me thinking

it seems like I have a small RV water heater tank that probably would be just about the right size and I'm thinking the end caps are shaped just about right

maybe buried in the aluminum stock, I'll have to go look

Sponsored Links