1983 BMW R80 RT
Close

1983 BMW R80 RT

This is a discussion on 1983 BMW R80 RT within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey all, I ran into a guy who wanted to sell me a 1983 BMW R80 RT (Boxer). It has 22k miles on it, full ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1983 BMW R80 RT

1983 BMW R80 RT

Hey all,
    I ran into a guy who wanted to sell me a 1983 BMW R80 RT (Boxer).
    It has 22k miles on it, full factory fairing (gigantic cruiser fairing) but hasnt been started in four years. Its been sitting in his garage all the while.
    He wants a thousand for it and is holding it for me.
    My dad used to have a BMW and always wanted one again. And i want to surprise him with it...I never got a chance to ride with my father and he's getting older.
    I want to know what you guys think about this model and the situation in general. (I didnt check the electricals and couldnt open the tank- some debris had fallen into the keyhole- but the PO told me he drained the tank).
    In my experience 1000 for a BMW (that looks to be in good shape) is a deal (assuming it will run with minimal stress).Cosmetically the bike is just dirty. Engine wise ive heard good things about the durability of the engines (but i dont know what can happen to a motor that sat for 4 years)
    Whats do you guys think? This ones for my pops.

1977 Suzuki Gs550 + parts bike, 1981 Suzuki Gs 850, 1983 BMW R80,1984 BMW K75, BMW K1100, 1973 Honda CB360t, 1969 honda 305 Dream,1966 honda 305 Dream, 1963 Honda 305 dream, 2003 Suzuki SV650s (5k miles), 2003 SV650s (7k miles), 2003 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 1981 Honda CBX six, Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1972 Yamaha DS7, 2003 Anniversary HD Sportster 1200C.

rwp
    Would buy it in a heartbeat. Highly unlikely that anything major is wrong. Check the driveshaft splines for lube, but otherwise should be good.

rwp
    Would buy it in a heartbeat. Highly unlikely that anything major is wrong. Check the driveshaft splines for lube, but otherwise should be good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Looks like it's cooked a battery at some stage...but hey - $1000 for a boxer is a great deal even if the electrics are toasted. Go for it.

Looks like it's cooked a battery at some stage...but hey - $1000 for a boxer is a great deal even if the electrics are toasted. Go for it.

Well...do you know how to work on bikes yourself? Because $1,000 is a good price for a an R80....but you can probably find another airhead between $3,000 - $5,000. I purchased my 1984 R100 for $2,500 a few years back. If you have to farm out any work on that bike to a shop, you will see any savings evaporate. (Shop owners have to get paid and that is just the law of economics). Those fairings are actually marketable....so if your dad doesn't like, just don't throw it out. Sell it on BMWON or Internet BMW or another site. But you are likely to eat up the money gained in buying and wiring a bucket light off of another R100.

Does the engine turn over (bump the rear wheel while it is in second gear). I am assuming it didn't run when you looked at it. If all you need to do is change the fluids, clean out the carbs, add a new battery and change tires (?) then it is a good deal. If you have start rebuilding the motor and pay someone to do it...than you are better off finding another airhead.

BMWs are not just for dads, at lesat that is what I tell my kids.

Well...do you know how to work on bikes yourself? Because $1,000 is a good price for a an R80....but you can probably find another airhead between $3,000 - $5,000. I purchased my 1984 R100 for $2,500 a few years back. If you have to farm out any work on that bike to a shop, you will see any savings evaporate. (Shop owners have to get paid and that is just the law of economics). Those fairings are actually marketable....so if your dad doesn't like, just don't throw it out. Sell it on BMWON or Internet BMW or another site. But you are likely to eat up the money gained in buying and wiring a bucket light off of another R100.

Does the engine turn over (bump the rear wheel while it is in second gear). I am assuming it didn't run when you looked at it. If all you need to do is change the fluids, clean out the carbs, add a new battery and change tires (?) then it is a good deal. If you have start rebuilding the motor and pay someone to do it...than you are better off finding another airhead.

BMWs are not just for dads, at lesat that is what I tell my kids.

I had an '84 almost identical to that. It had sat outside for a while, but started right up. Paid $2500 and spent about $300 in parts to make it a nice daily rider. Actually sold it for a profit when I needed some hurricane repair money.

One problem I didn't know about was "valve recession" where the valve seats will beat themselves into the heads. Some do it, some don't - the '83's and '84's did. Valves usually needed adjustment at every oil change, which is a breeze. If you plan on keeping it for the long haul you can get the heads reworked with modern materials for a few hundred bucks. It's probably not that big of a deal, but you'll read a lot about it on the internet. Those old BMW guys are pretty vocal about every little thing.

-and that back rest/luggage rack is worth about $200 on ebay...

I had an '84 almost identical to that. It had sat outside for a while, but started right up. Paid $2500 and spent about $300 in parts to make it a nice daily rider. Actually sold it for a profit when I needed some hurricane repair money.

One problem I didn't know about was "valve recession" where the valve seats will beat themselves into the heads. Some do it, some don't - the '83's and '84's did. Valves usually needed adjustment at every oil change, which is a breeze. If you plan on keeping it for the long haul you can get the heads reworked with modern materials for a few hundred bucks. It's probably not that big of a deal, but you'll read a lot about it on the internet. Those old BMW guys are pretty vocal about every little thing.

-and that back rest/luggage rack is worth about $200 on ebay...

quote:Originally posted by hillsy

Looks like it's cooked a battery at some stage...
    No...that is brown shag carpet on the battery tray. They came from the factory like that in 83'. I should know, I am 26 years old you know.
    Did you hear about the pirate with two wooden legs?

They caught fire and burned his ass to the ground!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links