RD build. Rebuilding/ modifying clocks.
Close

This is a discussion on RD build. Rebuilding/ modifying clocks. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; This is a continuation of THIS OTHER BUILD THREAD . Now that the bike is home again I can start to make some real progress ...

This is a continuation of THIS OTHER BUILD THREAD. Now that the bike is home again I can start to make some real progress on the little things.

I am building up a speedo right now. My basic idea here is I want to take a modern speedo and modify it to include some parts and aesthetic ideas from the original old clock which came with my headlight shell. It will need to fit inside the old Ducati headlight shell, and the speedo I want to use has a trip meter/ 2nd odometer, along with some idiot lights. In order for all that to work while in the old headlight shell, I need to take the clock apart and do some changes. I worked on that for a few hours last night. Like always you can click a pic for a printable macro view.

So here is my old headlight. It has a 61mm opening for a clock. The little hole sports a small indicator light, and I am not yet sure what I will make it indicate.

I have the original speedo, but it is vintage Italian crap... or in other words, it just won't work with my newer Japanese crap. Even though it looks bad (dirty) in this picture, I really like it as sports several nice and unique features:

First of all the front glass is this beautiful, curved lens. This is not a good pic, but you can still see what I am talking about. They just don't make them like this any more.

Second, if you look now at this second pic, you can see that the numbers are not printed on the face of the clock. Rather there are two layers of glass in there: the top curved lens and another on which the numbers are inked. It is difficult to catch with my camera, but it is a spectacular effect. Very classy.

It is my intent to reproduce both of these features when I rebuild my new clock.

So I need to put a clock into the headlight hole. Seeing as the RD does not have a gas gauge, and I tend to drive the bike quite a bit, I really want a speedo with a trip meter to help me keep track of the gasoline. The problem is that the trip meter knob sticks out the side of the speedo, but my headlight bucket has no such corresponding hole. I will need to disassemble a clock, extend the knob, create a hole, and make it all fit in an attractive and functional manner. Not a big deal, but still a good project.

I am "borrowing" one of Snorkelforks' clocks to cut up and experiment. It is/was one of THESE, but I think he got his from the wonderful world of eBay. I tossed it into my courier shoulder bag and drove home, but when I got home the stupid little knob had broken off. DANG! I discovered this last night, and I decided I would simply have to take the thing apart to fix it. I guess I owe him a little money for it now.

Opening the clock involved prying off the face's chrome ring with a screwdriver. That is always a bit dicey/scary. But it came off as planned, with little unnecessary damage. I wish I thought to take some pics of the innards and broken bits last night as I was working on it. In the end I basically built an extension to the clock's trip meter shaft, and then buttoned it all back together.

And this what it looks like now. Nothing special. Like Ogres and Onions, this clock has layers.

This is the next layer beneath the white clock face. It looks like a sort of refractive surface that catches the back lights to help illuminate the face.

Here is the clock with no face at all. Deep down inside I have a resident Steam Punk who loves hand tooled brass, and exposed gear works. And here lies what I really want to do. I am thinking about reporducing the old speedo by finding a thin piece of glass and doing a Laser/Copier Water-Slide Decal with the correct 140mph speedo in a vintage style, and leaving the clocks and gear works exposed in there. I would paint the needle white to stand out against the darkness, and then cover it all with that old curved lens to top it off. If you look carefully you can see a bit of shiny brass coming off the left side of the upper odometer. That is the fruit of my diligent repair work.

Here is one idea with the plastic face in place.

Here is the one I like best with the gears exposed.

One more of that from another angle. I think I really like this idea. It should be sufficiently visible, and interesting to gaze upon as I scoot about.

So that is that for now. I am still brainstorming how I will do all this, but I will post some pics after it is a bit more sorted out.

peace and grease,
    -fang
    Even the softest of things can pass through The Fang.mp3 like invisible water.
    Tired of eating CRAP!

you son of a gun, I was going to buy that headlight! I saw it, and thought about bidding on it myself.

However, my spare money may be all gone now...I found a deal I can't resist. I'm going to see it tomorrow I think. It's fine, my build is winding down at this point, so, onward!

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    I think it "looks" cool with showing all the internals but there's too many things showing besides just the numbers for when it comes time to look down and to be able to read the numbers.
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

i for one cant wait to see it. i love the old glass dials. very sweet.

jealous. you put together some bitchen stuff dude.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

I was showing my amazing wife this post so she would know what I've been doing in the garage recently, and she was like, "Dang! You broke the glass?" But the important glass is fine. The glass with the crack is the lower layer where the old speedo's numbers were printed. I can't use that anyway. Its just there to show the numbers. You're supposed to ignore the crack.... lol

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Borzwazie, I've had that headlight for about a million years. They still pop up on the 'Bay all the time, but now days they fetch much more than the $15 I paid eons ago.

peace and grease.
    -steve

Tired of eating CRAP!

I was showing my amazing wife this post so she would know what I've been doing in the garage recently, and she was like, "Dang! You broke the glass?" But the important glass is fine. The glass with the crack is the lower layer where the old speedo's numbers were printed. I can't use that anyway. Its just there to show the numbers. You're supposed to ignore the crack.... lol

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Borzwazie, I've had that headlight for about a million years. They still pop up on the 'Bay all the time, but now days they fetch much more than the $15 I paid eons ago.

peace and grease.
    -steve

Tired of eating CRAP!

Well, drat! I was cleaning the glass and it slipped out of my hand and fell to the cold, hard concrete floor of my garage. My once beautiful lens instantly became so many beautiful little diamonds all about me.

piss.
    Fortunately I found another one on the eButt, and with some luck no one else will bid on it.

Also my laser printer slide-transfer decal paper arrived, so once I can buy this clock, dissect it, and print up a fresh face, I will be back in business. It is funny how easy it is to stall out on projects like this!

-fang

Tired of eating CRAP!

Sponsored Links