performance fan switch
Close

performance fan switch

This is a discussion on performance fan switch within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Ok, so I've been arguing with this idiot on ebay for a couple of days now. It's really quite funny. He sells what he calls ...

performance fan switch

Ok, so I've been arguing with this idiot on ebay for a couple of days now. It's really quite funny.

He sells what he calls "performance fan switch". It runs your fan 20 degrees colder than stock. He claims that because your bike runs cooler, it will have more power. I came across his item because i was looking for a replacement switch for a buddy's 87 magna.

The service manual specifies that tolerances in the valvetrain are extremely important and that the cooling system must be in precise operation so that the bike reaches operating temperature quickly and remains at that constant temp. Now, anybody who payed attention in grade school science knows that matter expands with heat, metal, expands with heat. Thus the engineers at Honda design the machine around that operating temp. Cold startup, aside from overheating, are one of the main causes of wear, besides the obvious lack of oil, mechanical failure, etc. Thus the term "highway miles" and so forth. The guy sticks by his "you're an idiot, everyone knows if an engine draws in hot water its gonna run hot". I tried to mention the whole thermostat thing... That if he WAS cooling the temp down to that point by the time it got through the radiator, the thermostat would start closing which would just heat the water up because of the reduced flow. He still wont budge, still calls me an idiot.

I told him the only way to reduce the temp of the bike was to installa matching low temp thermostat. Since the bike isn't fuel injected that would actually decrease the temp, which still wouldn't be good for mechanical tolerances, but at elast wouldn't affect fuel air ratio much, maybe you could even give it a little more gas.

I can't believe he wont listen to reason. Some people really amaze me. I got a coworker that thinks the same way. Says he's going to drop a 160 degree t-stat in his 03 camaro. I asked him whether he was going to tune the computer to reflect those changes and he said he didn't have to since a cooler running motor makes more power.... sigh..

Ugh sorry just had to vent.

oh yeah and i also mentioned how all installing a colder temp fan switch would do was to make the fan run nearly all the time when the motor was at temp. And any rider with half a brain knows the fan only comes on when you're stopped, or overheating...

ok im done.

Sponsored Links