street bikes without fenders are dumb - Page 3
Close

street bikes without fenders are dumb

This is a discussion on street bikes without fenders are dumb within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I lack a front fender . It's all personal preference . Like clubman bars . Some bikes look good without fenders . But if you're ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I lack a front fender . It's all personal preference . Like clubman bars .
    Some bikes look good without fenders . But if you're front fender acts as a brace and you take it off for looks for the cost of handling that there is dumb .
    If they call a sheep a ram.
    And a donkey an ass.
    Why do they call a ram in the ass a goose?

Perhaps you all are are just not MANLY enough. I'll bet you wear helmets, too.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'72 Yamaha R5/RD350 hybrid
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead
    -a bunch of other old Jap bikes

Perhaps you all are are just not MANLY enough. I'll bet you wear helmets, too.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

probably gunna get spanked but i'm manly enough to take it with a smile...
    in addition to the above mentioned good reasons to cover tires, especially on street bikes, i'll mention another consideration perhaps more important to a high speed (racing) applications. although the bottom of a moving tire is stationary (unless you're skidding), the top of the tire is actually travelling forward at twice the speed of your bike. and while a tire is a relatively aerodynamic shape, the drag of the top of the tire is scraping away your hard earned speed at the twice the square of bike's velocity. a tightly fitted fender on a low horsepower bike will increase top speed measureably. hoof might add a bit of slat flat reality to this idea but it's something else to consider if lieing on the tank to extract that last 90th mph on your cb 350 is your thing. those hayabusa types should probably not try for the last mph of top speed, but look at the form fitting qualities of their front fender...one of a few aerodynamic reasons those bikes are so fast (in addition to the supid fast power).
    -parks
    p.s. amen
    I\'m not handsome

probably gunna get spanked but i'm manly enough to take it with a smile...
    in addition to the above mentioned good reasons to cover tires, especially on street bikes, i'll mention another consideration perhaps more important to a high speed (racing) applications. although the bottom of a moving tire is stationary (unless you're skidding), the top of the tire is actually travelling forward at twice the speed of your bike. and while a tire is a relatively aerodynamic shape, the drag of the top of the tire is scraping away your hard earned speed at the twice the square of bike's velocity. a tightly fitted fender on a low horsepower bike will increase top speed measureably. hoof might add a bit of slat flat reality to this idea but it's something else to consider if lieing on the tank to extract that last 90th mph on your cb 350 is your thing. those hayabusa types should probably not try for the last mph of top speed, but look at the form fitting qualities of their front fender...one of a few aerodynamic reasons those bikes are so fast (in addition to the supid fast power).
    -parks
    p.s. amen
    I\'m not handsome

agreed. remember the rhino horn they had on the zook gp bike for a while??

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

agreed. remember the rhino horn they had on the zook gp bike for a while??

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

That's interesting about the fender reducing the drag of the tire. I'd never thought about it, but it makes sense. My main bike has no front fender and I'll probably keep it that way, but at least now I have a valid-in-my-mind reason that a front fender might be a good idea. Rooster-tails of filthy water don't really bother me. The city streets have many interesting flavors that come out when it rains.
    I was reading that while Kawasaki was developing the H1 triple, they were having troubles with the center cylinder overheating. They found that with the right shape of front fender, the cooling was sufficient. The fender reduces the turbulence in the airstream that goes over the front wheel and then over the center cylinder. This doesn't seem to be as big of a concern on other air-cooled bikes, since the H1 was extra badass, but I think it shows that a front fender will likely improve cooling on any bike.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead

That's interesting about the fender reducing the drag of the tire. I'd never thought about it, but it makes sense. My main bike has no front fender and I'll probably keep it that way, but at least now I have a valid-in-my-mind reason that a front fender might be a good idea. Rooster-tails of filthy water don't really bother me. The city streets have many interesting flavors that come out when it rains.
    I was reading that while Kawasaki was developing the H1 triple, they were having troubles with the center cylinder overheating. They found that with the right shape of front fender, the cooling was sufficient. The fender reduces the turbulence in the airstream that goes over the front wheel and then over the center cylinder. This doesn't seem to be as big of a concern on other air-cooled bikes, since the H1 was extra badass, but I think it shows that a front fender will likely improve cooling on any bike.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead

The DOHC 750/900/1100F had a spoiler built into the front fender that I assume was to help cooling of the center cylinders. Some of the later Hondas had the spoiler built into the fork brace.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links