Hacksaw Welding
Close

Hacksaw Welding

This is a discussion on Hacksaw Welding within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi Gents: I asked a few questions over here about welding up an exhaust https://www.caferacer.net/forums/topi...TOPIC_ID=10670 Hack was kind enough to answer, but his posts are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacksaw Welding

Hacksaw Welding

Hi Gents:

I asked a few questions over here about welding up an exhaust

https://www.caferacer.net/forums/topi...TOPIC_ID=10670

Hack was kind enough to answer, but his posts are somewhat cryptic...unless you really know the subject. So rather than screw around asking questions, I just called the guy. I learned more in 15 minutes than I could posting for weeks. So here is the result:

First, Hack told me to learn to weld razor blades together. I did these with a 3/32" electrode.

Kidding, I used a .040" electrode, which was too big for the job. Eventually I got it.

Here is the back. My six- year old told me it was Play Dough, but it was something else that melted to goo.

Then I tried my hand at fusion welding 16ga 304 stainless. This is my first go at it, and I had to cheat with some filler in a couple places.

Here is the second go at it. I had to use filler to get the puddle going, then I didn't need it. No back purging because I rarely got full penetration.

Then I had a go at building some mild steel primaries. I fusion-welded these too, then put a tiny rosette on the inside. These look a lot better than my originals. I hope they are strong enough for the job.

Much better than the first try. For reference, here is the set-up I used on the primaries:
    10cfm
    50 amps at the machine
    5 seconds post-flow
    .040" electrode
    gas lense
    1/4" opening

Feedback is always appreciated.
    --Thanks for looking, Chris

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    next weld soda can together and you'll be set. That looks pretty good to me. Though everything looks better then fluxcore madness with all the crazy herpes looking splatter leftover to grind off. lol.
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

much better and I enjoyed talking with you

call anytime or if you are ever in my hood

come hang and we'll probably both learn something

even without a lathe, you could prep those sleeves with a tiny step using maybe a hand grinder/wizz wheel clamped down and your sleeve tubing loosely clamped in a vice

rotate by hand and end up with a 70ish thou step so you could make a really nice and easy autogenous bead on the other side

the shiny beaded butt joint is much closer and you can see that making sure everything is clean prior makes life better

after brushing it with non-contaminated media (stainless brush or sanding disc... I prefer no sanding or grinding carbides to worry with) wipe it with acetone then weld

if you can make it puddle with less heat and keep the torch head angle consistent as you rotate around your tubing

you can get that correct color, get your nearly 100% penetration

and the bead will be nearly flat

go back and reference the part about electrode stick out and "walking the cup"

I set up to walk the cup anytime I'm able and that is why I seldom spend extra for the gas lenses... they don't suffer the heat from walking the cup very well

or maybe they have ones that do now

practice some more, you still need it, and get the feel for it

do some more blades so that the bead is rounded on the top instead of over-penetrating like the ones shown.... less heat and narrower bead

very good that you got them stuck together

I think you'll do very well

did you try turning down or off the high freq starting? not sure if your machine can adjust both starting freq and current or just current but keep playing with what it has

if your machine isn't fine enough you may have better results touch starting it off to one side if it wants to blow holes right off the bat

I'm thinking that may be the case as getting the puddle going without filler should be the easiest part of the deal providing everything is clean and well fitted

50 amps on my machine would destroy that stainless

find the least amount needed, dial in ten or twenty percent more and use that pedal

and btw... you want that same chrome looking bead on the sleeve welds too

you don't want gray at all but looks like you'll have it going your way soon
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

never mind on the gray sleeve welds, I looked again and can see they are not stainless and are only a little too warm for mild

could be this monitor and their color really may be perfect

close enough
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

and you may also find a better feel seeing how low you can go with the flow

with stuff like that I use 10 or less without a gas lens

and a gas lens requires less flow

it may tend to reduce start up blowing thru

not sure if there is any science to that, probably some, or if it's psychological

but in any event, you want to know what the least amount of flow you can have and still carry the arc

even if you go a bit higher just for good measure

Hack:

After a small coversation, I feel like I progressed very far. I'll call again about aluminum.

I forgot to say I welded a bit of Ti. I hade some 22ga scrap in the bin. I started a puddle and moved it around the tube. Ti actually welds the best of all the materials I've tried. I didn't back-purge, and the puddle as very porous on the backside. Still, fun stuff.

You want the [u]inside</u> of the sleeve to have a bevel? I can do that with a die grinder and sanding wheel. Good idea.

I'm picking up another box of blades today to practice some more. I do think I need a .020 electrode because it is difficult to establish and maintain an arc at those low amps.

I forgot about your advice on turning down the start temp. I'll do that today.

My regulator loses accuracy below 10CFM. I have two ball-type regulators on order. Those should be here this week.

Amps...Yeah, I was barely into the pedal. I think I will try turning it down today--just to see how it performs.

Thanks for all the advice.

--Chris

Pinche:

I have no idea how people weld soda cans together. Hopefully, one day I can try it.

--Thanks, Chris

come by and I'll give you a flow meter that is accurate at 1cfm

gas lenses really don't require so much flow and you will find better luck with that razor joint with less flow

good gvt surplus stuff

ventilate well when welding ti and for real deal ti welding... not purging is never an option regardless of the joint

I've been sick twice in the last ten years and both times were from welding ti without enough ventilation

it will flat out put you down in the bed hard

not a bevel on the sleeve.... a step which you will use as roughly a square piece of 70 thou filler

when you make the joint with a flat bead

it will then be beveled from the sleeve to the pipe

you are doing fantastic and when you get ready

I probably can help you get on your way to welding aluminum foil or beer cans together

HackA can weld steel wool. Little known fact.

Remind me to never post pictures of my flux core welding...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links