Stainless CB350 Exhaust--For Sale! - Page 4
Close

Stainless CB350 Exhaust--For Sale!

This is a discussion on Stainless CB350 Exhaust--For Sale! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; actually, with the slip fit, you should be able to mount the meg on an isolator. the slip fit will allow it to move enough. ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    actually, with the slip fit, you should be able to mount the meg on an isolator. the slip fit will allow it to move enough. the slag isn't to be worried about from a performance standpoint really.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

I worry about the sugaring because I feel like I did a great job on the system, and I really should have done that right as well.

I hesitate to even disclose this, but i honestly rarely ride my bike. I prefer to build them. Once i have them finished, I get bored and want to build another. I'm supposed to be restoring an MG Midget for my wife, not screwing with bikes. I certainly never take the bikes to the track, though it would be fun.

In my experience, the exhaust do need a bit of flex in them. I've cracked 3 exhaust systems by over tightening them. So this system has a bit of flex in it to allow for the heat expansion and vibration.

Hack:

I feel you brother, but i want to put this project to rest for the summer. Maybe I'll get well inspired in the witer and either modify this system or completely redo it. I think I'll do 18ga 321 next time.

No worries on being overly critical. Ya gotta have thick skin around here.

I'm going to start travelling a bit for work. if I find myself in your area, I'll swing in a kick tires with ya. Or work for a day or two. I bet I'd learn a lot.

--Chris

I worry about the sugaring because I feel like I did a great job on the system, and I really should have done that right as well.

I hesitate to even disclose this, but i honestly rarely ride my bike. I prefer to build them. Once i have them finished, I get bored and want to build another. I'm supposed to be restoring an MG Midget for my wife, not screwing with bikes. I certainly never take the bikes to the track, though it would be fun.

In my experience, the exhaust do need a bit of flex in them. I've cracked 3 exhaust systems by over tightening them. So this system has a bit of flex in it to allow for the heat expansion and vibration.

Hack:

I feel you brother, but i want to put this project to rest for the summer. Maybe I'll get well inspired in the witer and either modify this system or completely redo it. I think I'll do 18ga 321 next time.

No worries on being overly critical. Ya gotta have thick skin around here.

I'm going to start travelling a bit for work. if I find myself in your area, I'll swing in a kick tires with ya. Or work for a day or two. I bet I'd learn a lot.

--Chris

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

heres a pic of that exhaust i mentioned. sorry for the crappy pic. thats a hole drug in the bottom of the pipe. not from crashing mind you. enough of a hole that the bolt ground through, the end cap loosened up, and the baffel came out. fortunately we had the end cap wired on so we didnt loose that. you can see its quite a bit higher than yours. this entire exhaust is rigid mounted. but the mounts did crack and break off when i first got it. then i made a new humungo bracket and its been fine since. the collector dosnt allow for any movement. so its all pretty tight.

anyone know what make this pipe is. i think its an older mac. but im not sure. we need a new baffle for it actually.

heres another photo.

also, the headers for this pipe have these quite nice little aluminum flanges that hold the pipe to the head. pre drilled for wire. also, and im dont know if this was done by the builder, or form the factory, but the pipes have the moon crescent thingers welded on to the pipes.

it's quite common for all but the best aftermarket exhaust systems to have thin and frail tabs and even to see them incorrectly joined to the tubing

so it doesn't surprise me that yours broke solidly mounted

MAC has made some good exhausts but some of the are not very robust in my opinion

if you really want to see some laughable attempts at mounting exhausts systems solidly

study any of the vintage brit bikes, the triples are generally ok but most everything else is silly frail and cheaply done

but, that doesn't mean that solidly mounted exhausts cannot be done right

the pipes on my red 45/750 are mounted solidly enough to hoist the bike by them and they only have a slide in slip fit into the ports

they are stainless and 5 years still going strong with no sign anywhere of problems

are not the stock systems on these bikes solidly mounted?

I am pretty sure they are and I'm equally sure I've seen more than I can count that sported original exhausts for 10,000 miles or more

did your failed MAC system have any mounts on it that remotely resembled this kinda stuff? that's just the rear one too

those pipes aren't going anywhere and I'd be shocked if any part of the exhaust system failed

reckon that's just fanatical overkill?

I'll go ahead and own the less than great beads on that stringer.... did that on a day those reversals had my hands nearly inoperative

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

ive actually had and seen more race pipes fail. rarely on streetbikes. which is what i was initally saying. i attribute that to the fact they are mounted with some play for the most part. since ive left slop in mine, never a problem. my t12or never had a problem, well, unless you count the bolts rattling out. i chased a few sausages around broadway in southboston! but leaving play in the system cant hurt things. and that pipe on the racebike pictured is what i believe to be a street exhaust modified for a racebike. the bracket was very lightweight and skinny.

i included the pics so he could see where this pipe is located, and to show it hits the deck. and to havea relationship pic of where it is on our cb's. the yashima pipe on my 550 is awesome though. that thing is tight. and power baby.

and yeah, with the pieces on that exhaust, you could fucking build a bridge!

I just took the bike around the neighbor for the first time with the new pipes. This has increadible power. It is insane. Well worth all the hard work. I just cannot believe how much better this works over the old system.

Fucking crazy.

--Chris

I just took the bike around the neighbor for the first time with the new pipes. This has increadible power. It is insane. Well worth all the hard work. I just cannot believe how much better this works over the old system.

Fucking crazy.

--Chris

cool, how did the aluminum stuff go? forgot to mention adjusting the frequency and intensity if you have those adjustments
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links