new to forum, saying hello
Close

This is a discussion on new to forum, saying hello within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; HI everyone, I just joined. I've been around bikes my whole life, used to be a bike mechanic, my father was factory trained by honda ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HI everyone, I just joined. I've been around bikes my whole life, used to be a bike mechanic, my father was factory trained by honda and bmw, my grandfather and uncle owned dealerships on the east coast, my uncle raced. So obviously, I'm VERY into bikes. I've had MANY bikes, many projects, all of them wound up having some quality that was "cafe-ish", whether it was clipons, bubble seat, rear sets, always something, but I've never built an actual, honest to goodness, proper cafe racer. Well, I'm about to turn 40, so its about time. Yesterday I picked up a ragged out 76 cb750F. I'll post current pics and its progress in the project section. I just wanted to post here and say hello.

Cool. Howdy.

Rule 1: Ignore Geeto and his rants against everything you stand for.
    Rule 2: Post pictures of your girlfriend.

what - he covered all the basics....gave a decent history, sounds like he knows what he is talking about, and hasn't admitted to some form of hackery or jackassery. I'd say he is in the clear provided he doesn't try to build yet another carpy clone with flat i mean matte black paint.

....and he filled out his bio - double bonus points.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

i'll give him triple bonus points for the bio.....

welcome seth!

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

His bio says nothing but he "likes motorcycles and music " . How's that triple points ?
    Nice bike to start out with . Ragged or not . Good luck with her .
    If they call a sheep a ram.
    And a donkey an ass.
    Why do they call a ram in the ass a goose?

quote:Post pictures of your girlfriend.

Indeed. I have.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

thanks for the welcome and the encouragement. I agree my bio was less than impressive. At best its worth 1/2 point, certainly not triple :P
    And I can't say it won't be a carpy clone, I'm VERY impressed with his work, and I would actually be very proud to have my bike compared to one of his. I can say however there will be NO flat or matte black, there MAY be some semi gloss, but if so, it will only be on the cylinders and head.

he filled in his location (1 point), he filled out his real first name (point 2) and he did it unprompted (point 3).

As far as carpy:

Have you ever seen a carpy bike up close. It is a bike that was built in a shed and up close it looks like it. It is not the "street rod" quality build that a lot of internet people make it out to be. I can think of only two bikes of his that were actually of above built in a shed quality (and no the black one with the gold frame was not one) and they were impressive but he must have spent about 4 times the amount of work on them than he usually does.

Another thing, not all of his parts choices are "cafe" in the strictest sense. some of them (16" rear wheel for example) go contrary to the core cafe mantra, and some bikes (though not all) are built to be shown more than ridden with uncomfortable riding positions.

Furthermore he has made the dunstall tank/box racing seat a veritible cliche. I am glad he is reproducing both these pieces but does it mean that every other cb750 cafe built has to use them? really? I say why concern yourself with carpy crap, I am convinced that the average joe with average skills can build a bike that is better than something Steve Carpenter has built, and I dare anybody with a cb750 to do just that. To suscribe to the overused cafe formula or aspire only to be as good is selling yourself short.

Steve is a nice guy, and has done a lot of positive things for the hobby. unfortunatly with the good comes the bad. It really isn't personal, he built the best bikes he can and the idiot masses looking for the next cool thing picked up his ball and have run it into the ground.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

oh but I guess unga already told you to ignore me....
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

thats a shame, a lot of them do look really nice online. I hadn't planned on using any of his parts, I want to do as much of my own work as possible. I'd probably rather have a stock tank with my own paint job on it than a custom built by someone else. Not to mention, if I was going to drop the money on a tank, it would probably be a polished aluminum norton tank :P
    I do see what you mean about the dunstall tank and box seat being a recurring thing, that's why I'm not going that route :P I can't say anything about using parts that aren't really cafe.. because although I want to build a "cafe" bike, I'm still going to build it the way I want it :] If I want to put a beer holder on it, it will be a cafe bike with a beer holder :P
    I still respect carpy's work, and although I had never intended him to be a source of products, he has definitely been a source of inspiration.
    oh, and as far as ignoring you, geeto, I guess I must have been ignoring unga when he told me that, LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links