another find: $750 sandcast 1969 CB750 -- w/ pics! - Page 3
Close

another find: $750 sandcast 1969 CB750 -- w/ pics!

This is a discussion on another find: $750 sandcast 1969 CB750 -- w/ pics! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; the diecast cases are stronger and have better bearing and better bearing bosses in the transmission. Yes the problems was some times the cases, or ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    the diecast cases are stronger and have better bearing and better bearing bosses in the transmission. Yes the problems was some times the cases, or rather the mainshaft bearing bosses which allowed flex if you were abusing the bike (hence the tossed drive chain) and the cam tower bosses in the head, not just the tensioner.

Honda did not have all of the "bugs" worked out by the end of sandcast production. By the end of K0 production they did have most of them worked out however and the diecasts were less likely to toss a chain. If you were ordering a 970 kit (CR750) through honda for a sandcast bike you were "encouraged" to take a set of cases as well, most real 970 CR750s are diecast engines.

Some of the sandcast motor internals are completely different from other cb750s, so it is good that you got a complete engine. If you are going to build a special out of it then I would set the sandcast motor aside and go find a set of 1978 cb750F cases and transmission as they are the strongest (excluding the hondamatic).

Fang, I do have some REAL 970 CR750 parts if you are interested. One is a complete front end (clipons to tires) with magnesium dual disc pieces and another is an original set of Kehin carbs. I used to have a CR750 tach but that has been gone for a while now. IT won't be cheap and most of it is good only for racing but hey it is here.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Thanks for the input. I'm not a kid, but I sure feel like one in a candy store. My head is still spinning with ideas, so I have a little thinking still to do before I start to move on this one.

Geeto, thanks for letting me know about your stuff. I'll keep that in mind as I am processing through ideas.

I looks like I need to build one of the other bikes for sale first, and just let the juices stew.

peace and grease,
    fang
    Even the softest of things can pass through The Fang.mp3 like invisible water.
    Tired of eating CRAP!

Next up -

Fang finds an ex-John Surtees Isle of Man TT-winning 1959 MV Agusta at a yard sale. Buys it for $200.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

LOL.

Hey, Geeto, is your CR the unobtainable "works" one? The one which was not made available to us, the unwashed public? You know, the one with 4 axle nuts on each fork, magnesium lowers and ti uppers + lower stem? If so, we need to talk. =)

peace and grease,
    -fang
    Tired of eating CRAP!

-

Yeah, restore the sandcast to stock, put it in the basement for the retirement fund.

Find an old POS 750, make a CR750 outta that.

quote:Originally posted by Fang

LOL.

Hey, Geeto, is your CR the unobtainable "works" one? The one which was not made available to us, the unwashed public? You know, the one with 4 axle nuts on each fork, magnesium lowers and ti uppers + lower stem? If so, we need to talk. =)

peace and grease,
    -fang
    I will have to look but off the top of my head I will say that it is probably a JDM set of Sandcast forks with all the 970 magnesium brake pieces (the kind that was available over the counter at honda). I do remember all the castings and labels on the fork being in japanese and not english.

I did spot a set of those magnesium forks at a well known Race Shop recently when I was digging around in the basement, but knowing the owner they are not for sale at a reasonable price.

here is a pic I took a while back when I had just finished pulling it out of storage.

I bought out someone's cb750 race operation a couple of years ago, one of his bikes had been a really early diecast (less than 10 numbers away from the last sand cast vin). I sold the 970 tach that came with it a long time ago.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I do have this lying around:

which is part of a bracket set to attach the cb750 caliper to HD or Ceriani forks.

and this:

kosman hub setup for a cb750 axle and cb750 chain line. It uses a real grimeca caliper (not one of the later ones). It came attached to this:

an RC swingarm adjustable for chain length and shock height. make no mistake this mutha weighs a lot, saw them a lot in drag racing, occasionally in road racing.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Thank you for posting the pics. Looks like you have some great stuff. I think I have the same front end as that. The magnesium bits are soo unobtainable and hot, but I don't think I would ever actually put them on a machine that will be primarily driven on the street.
    That RC swing arm is pretty rad. Is it aluminum? Either way, it looks like a golden brick.
    quote:Make no mistake this mutha weighs a lot...
    That's how it goes:
    RC = heavy, clunky, overbuilt, raw American power. (And good thing too because it needs to be tough to stand up the the abuse it creates.)
    Yoshimura = light, better balanced, more refined, more fragile, graceful. (But that's OK because it works together with Zen harmony.)

My personal building philosophy is more of a Yoshi one. I'm a fast, light and graceful kind of guy. .
    My favorite Street Fighter character always was Chun Li.

This has everything to do with sandcast CR750s!

Peace and grease.
    -fang
    Tired of eating CRAP!

if it makes you feel any better Fang, I also subscribe to the japanese philosophy of better balanced and more refined. To add to the skickness I also collect MIJ and CIJ Fender Guitars and odd ball other japanese stuff. I am in the middle of a couple of side projects right now, one of which may be importing japanese cb750/tu250/w650 stuff (the rare and unavailable here stuff) into the states.

I have to be honest, not all of the yosh stuff is a slice of heaven. While pretty, the early yoush pipes hung on to the motor by the exhaust collars, not ideal and lead to cracking. some of their cams are also not ideal, shifting the powerbands too high up the rev range.

If you ever read the account of how honda won daytona in 1972, it clearly points out that honda overtuned the bikes and all but Dick Mann's bike (which was the closest one to stock spec) retired early with mech failure. Honda kind of overshot that a little as they were trying to show dominance.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links