another find: $750 sandcast 1969 CB750 -- w/ pics!
Close

This is a discussion on another find: $750 sandcast 1969 CB750 -- w/ pics! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm driving out right now to go look at/buy what I believe is a real life, honest-to-God 1969 Sandcast Honda CB750. The old man has ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I'm driving out right now to go look at/buy what I believe is a real life, honest-to-God 1969 Sandcast Honda CB750. The old man has it listed all wrong on Craigslist, and even I overlooked it when it popped up the other day.

I spoke with him on the phone and he has owned it more or less since new. Got scared on it and parked it in his field and, "threw the key as far as he could..." There it has sat for the last approximately 20 years. He says he put about 40k miles on it driving it daily until he parked it. It is always interesting talking with old people.

You may remember that earlier last week I landed this amazing deal. So my amazing wife is a little skeptical about spending the money. Then I showed her this which recently sold on eBay: LINK. That is a '69 Frame and top engine case in presumably good condition which sold for $3k. Ouch. This stuff is nuts... At least she is a bit more supportive now. I convinced her to come with me. I don't really know why I did that! =)

Anyway. I am waiting for the old Sandcast guy to get out of his doctor's appointment and give me a call. He lives about an hour away.

Wish me luck. Pictures are sure to follow. I just brushed up on my Sandcast trivia, so I will be sure I know what I am looking for.

I'm nervous like a schoolboy.

peace and grease,
    -fang
    Even the softest of things can pass through The Fang.mp3 like invisible water.
    Tired of eating CRAP!

wow.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

good luck, broseph!!!
    iphone generated fag

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ok. I got it! here's the Craig's List link:
    http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1261649371.html

I just got home. It really is a 1969 sand cast. VIN 1004858 with a complete sand cast motor.
    Pics soon to follow.

Whoop!
    -fang
    Tired of eating CRAP!

um. i hope you die.

i actually had a frined buy one a few years ago. 450 bucks. running. he was shitting himself waiting to pick it up. dude had no idea.

$500 is an amazing deal? I think I'd call that a super-duper amazing, once in a fucking lifetime deal. You're using up a lot of mojo lately, Fang. Congratulations.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Here are some pics, fresh out of my friend's pickup. Yes, it has the most awesome sissy bar in the universe! Click any pick to open a huge view in a new tab.

At this time I know it is a 1969 sandcast, but I am unsure of the month of manufacture. It has a great mid-sand cast VIN -- 1004858. This is a good number because the earlier xx4100-ish VINs have more one-off and wacky stuff on them. These more mid VINs are easier and cheaper for the restorer. You've gotta love that 4-foot sissy bar. Do you think the previous owner was compensating for something?

It looks worse from this side. The tank is all dinged up, the seat is trashed, the pipes are completely rotten, and the side covers are gone. At least I did get one nice emblem out of the deal!

Everything that can rust has surface rust on it, except for the pipes and seat, which are completely gone. You can count the nine bolts on the clutch cover. The motor has been sitting with the #4 spark plug missing for an unknown length of time - quite possibly for 20 years.

The wrinkles of a wrinkle tank.

The clocks.

I have always dreamed of building a proper cafe'd-out sandcast cb750. I also might try to turn this one into a CR750 race bike.(Since I just landed all that race stuff....) Or I'll just see what it can fetch when tossed to the wolves on eBay. Its a tough call.

I think that a little time with a pressure washer would do this one well. A quick sand blasting and powder coating would be even better. When it all comes down to it, it really is not all that far from being workable. All the important stuff is there and easily restorable. I'd love to build a hybrid motor with these sandcast cases and later model's guts plus one of my 900cc race-prepped top ends. The purists would just croak.

peace and grease.
    -fang
    Tired of eating CRAP!

Uh, OK sorry, what the hell makes "sandcast" so special. I vaguely remember reading something about how rare and valuable they are. What gives, Mozart?

leo
    Fang,
    With regards to your recent run of good luck bike purchase wise, I have to say, now you're really starting to piss me off!

I gotta start digging around more; you're proof, great shit is still out there, waiting to be unearthed.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers,
    Leo

quote:Originally posted by trepanned23

Uh, OK sorry, what the hell makes "sandcast" so special. I vaguely remember reading something about how rare and valuable they are. What gives, Mozart?

cases/head were sandcast only the first year.

highly desirable for the collectors.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links