Making a single filament act like a dual...
Close

This is a discussion on Making a single filament act like a dual... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Just curious if anyone or any company ever made a device to make a single filament bulb act like a dual? After said and done ...

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar

Just curious if anyone or any company ever made a device to make a single filament bulb act like a dual? After said and done I was wondering if all my headscratching was needed if there was already a device out there to do the job needed?
    Anyways, I picked up a small round LED light assembly from Advanced Auto about a month ago because I liked it's small size and flush mounting unit. Only thing was it was setup to act like a single filament bulb. It was completely sealed so trying to open it would only destroy it...I tried. lol. I got it to work but before I let out my earth shattering, possibly one of the greatest break through in technology in the 21 century. Not to mention the possibility of making me a gazillionaire...if it hasn't been invented already. I did a quick google search and didn't see anything...but the word is quick. Now I'm not saying I'm gonna run out and drop a few g's and get a patent and expect to be on the next episode of Pitchmen...or should I say Pitchman(rip Billy Mays).
    It's just a simple round LED trailer light like this with a two wire harness.

Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

Some trailers need wiring conversion kits to get the turn signals to act like a brake light also (or convert the car wiring to work with the different trailer wiring, lights, etc).

I dont know if it will fix your problem though, as most convert the towing vehicles integrated tail,turn, brake lights to work with individual trailer lights (seperate lights for all).

It looks like that same style light is made in a dual filiment
    Not LED
    http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=422

OR LED
    http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=422

Maybe check some marine, truck, trailer suppleirs and farm stores to see if you can get that exact light in a dual filiment (LED). They may even have a wiring converter to get the existing light to work.
    DG
    Quote from Vanna White

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...VannaWhite.jpg

Fishhead Big Brakes
    http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow

I could probably do that with a resistor and a SPDT relay. I could do fancier stuff with a tiny microcontroller but I like to keep m/c stuff simple.
    Dictated but not read.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    I don't need to find something. I used something to make a single filament act like a dual filament. I got a three terminal potentiometer from work. Have a constant 12v while the bike is on going to one terminal that gets the voltage scaled down, one terminal goes directly to the + wire of the LED. The third terminal gets the full 12v signal from a brake sensor. Viola! I can adjust the brightness of the LEDs for the daytime running light and then when I hit the brakes...12 volts to make it light up like the forth of July.
    I have to pick up another POT cause I snapped off the terminal for the full 12v line so all I have is adjustable signal going it to. Doh! But it does work incase anyone wants a nice smaller round LED light that you can score at Advance Auto for five bucks and then run to Radio Shack and score the pot for 4 bucks.
    Now just to get my LED bar end turn signals to blink. What's needed to make the flasher work correctly?
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

Flasher: you need this:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/LFS-1-PIN.html

NOTE: the grey and black leads are reversed as compared to my CB450! Guess how long it took me to figure it out. Just cut the ends and swap 'em. Otherwise it works great.

you should be able to do it with few dollars worth of parts.

All you need is resistors (with decent wattage) and a diode. Basically you run the taillight lead through the resistors to drop the current/voltage and when the other lead by passes the resistors giving the full kick.
    You need a diode on the tail light lead to avoid a situation where bike is not running and brake light would "leak" to headlights etc. As diode lets juice only in one direction it will prevent that.
    I saw a schematic for this on some led forum - you know there is a forum for everything these days...
    -

I had a set up from the new Harley Nightsters that i was trying to get working right, but I am not sure if the module went bad or if i screwed something up be cause it welded the bulb into the taillight housing.

they worked for a while as my turn/stop/tail lights
    Did you hear about the pirate with two wooden legs?

They caught fire and burned his ass to the ground!

if you wanted to do this with an incadescent actual filament bulb.... easy vary the voltage

if you are operating under the premise that you want to do this with LED's

your nomenclature is incorrect and what you seek doing is..... well moot

why?

well there are a couple good reasons
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Sponsored Links