what i dont get... - Page 3
Close

what i dont get...

This is a discussion on what i dont get... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Stock was a gift, along with a nice leather checkbook cover. I've never owned a Harley and plans currently don't include ever owning one. I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Stock was a gift, along with a nice leather checkbook cover. I've never owned a Harley and plans currently don't include ever owning one. I spent my H-D down payment fund on a Bonneville, when I was 22, and got hooked on small & foreign.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

I think I love just about any motorcycle ever made. They all have something cool about them.

It's the schmoos that ride them that bother me. But that changes decade to decade. 25 years ago (when I was riding a Harley) I knew and liked the crowd ... not so much now. I remember when Duc riders were all arrogant asswipes... not so much now. I remember when BMW riders were all pretty strange...ehhh..well that hasn't changed much.
    I remember when 90% of Japanese bike riders had milkcrates on the back... not so much now.

Over the years I've had bikes that in retrospect were my favorite to look at, or favorite to ride, or favorite to work on, or favorite to listen to ... I don't think any bike ever has covered all the bases perfectly.
    JohnnyB

i dont care who made it, if its got 2 wheels and things dont fall off on a semiregular basis, its okay with me. From a cheap chinese bicycle motor kit to a V-max I like them all. I have a preference for big 4 cylinder 70s japanese bikes because when i was growing up my father had magazines from the 70s when he used to ride and that was my first exposure to street bikes. I always remember him having his first year XL250 Honda around and then when I was probably ten he got an XR500 and we converted it to twin shocks to make it more of a trail bike (plus EVERYTHING from the trailing arm bearings to the sprocket, shock and tire was worn out under the back) with a CR250 arm and rear wheel. I lust after those european beauty queens because of the time and era they represent, I am a sucker for a norton, bsa or triumph, i always wanted a sportster roadracer or a hot rod like my uncle had in the sixties in the form of a very hopped up ($400 in engine work back then) built from parts lying around harley. Im still at an age when it all is still interesting I guess and I hope I never grow out of that
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by jbranson

I remember when 90% of Japanese bike riders had milkcrates on the back... not so much now.

I love a Nighthawk with a milkcrate. I gotta get one of those.

quote:I remember when 90% of Japanese bike riders had milkcrates on the back...
    I just put a luggage rack on my cb360, and am currently looking for a proper milk crate to complete the touring package.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

I do care who made it

especially when they pretend it's made by Americans while the greedy corporate sellout khunts are outsourcing as much as possible and closing plants all over America

If you don't care who made it, you just may find yourself riding a Chinese made HD as I'm sure they'll drop the price 5 or 10 points once they cost 80% less to make
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

I don't make Japanese bikes. I make them better.
    Even the softest of things can pass through The Fang.mp3 like invisible water.
    Tired of eating CRAP!

our IT guy at work was a motorcycle guy for a long time, then had to get out of it. He has a heartbreaking story about building up a roundcase Duc then having to sell it so his wife could go to school.

he just got back into bikes, bought an XS650 Special. It's not everything he ever wanted (he's had RDs, KZs, the Duc, and others) but he's really excited to be riding again.

its awesome to talk to people who love bikes as much as I do. If I could, I think I'd just mess with bikes all the time, even if it never made me a penny.

quote:Originally posted by borzwazie

I think I'd just mess with bikes all the time, even if it never made me a penny.
    Go racing.

I love bikes of all sorts. The preference being for pre-Commando Nortons. But thats just me (and my upbringing). To each his own.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

how awesome is this:

so I don't have a "real" riding jacket - I've been making do with this flannel coat I have - it sucks, but it's better than skidding down the road with a t-shirt on. I just don't have the cash for a good jacket.

I came upstairs today, and found a *nice* riding jacket on my chair, a vented and padded First Gear jacket. the guy I mentioned earlier (the XS650/Ducati guy) knew I didn't have one and had just got a new one - so he surprised me with his old one.

how freaking awesome is that?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links