what i dont get...
Close

what i dont get...

This is a discussion on what i dont get... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; is how you guys in the US are into vintage jap bikes, maybe i read too many 'Easyriders' mags when i was younger but untill ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

what i dont get...

is how you guys in the US are into vintage jap bikes, maybe i read too many 'Easyriders' mags when i was younger but untill recently i thought you guys hated 'Riceburners' .

weird how we get the wrong impression of other countries population.
    'old hooligan...

maybe you missed the memo but the Japanese took over the industrial world. Even HD's have so many japanese parts on them they should be called Okinawa specials.

seriously though, I always thought the brits likes to walk and push things everywhere because nortons and triumphs were so popular.

seriously for reals this time though, Japanese motorcycles are cheap and the majority of any country's population is not rich so while a $20K HD is appealing for some, a $1500 Honda is more appealing. spend enough time on one and it grows on you. japanese motorcycles are the only bikes I know where people's lust for them comes from experiences with them more than them just looking cool in a magazine or parked on a street. HD, Ducati, etc....may make people lust for a motorcycle but honda, suzuki, kawasaki, yamaha actually puts them on wheels.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

well said mate.
    and us brits hate f**king walking at best of times never mind pushing a motorcycle
    'old hooligan...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67
    japanese motorcycles are the only bikes I know where people's lust for them comes from experiences with them more than them just looking cool in a magazine or parked on a street.
    Right on, man.

Right. Fucking. On.

quote: weird how we get the wrong impression of other countries population.
    Just like everyone thinks we all love obama...NOT!

Not that there is anything wrong with this - but I also think that its a function of this board, as it is very Jap bike focused vs. others "cafe boards" that have more Brit and Italian bikes. Of course there are still even more forums that are exclusively HD focused, or chopper focused, etc. Lot of peeps here in this big ass country and to each their own.

Personally, I don't really have a lust or passion for Jap bikes and it will be a long time and many other bike purchases before I even consider purchasing a Honda or Kawa or Yammy. That said, I still dig reading about them and love the enthusiasm here for them. I am still learning a ton about motorcycling by reading this forum in general - fixing bikes, modding bikes, and of course the general BS banter. When I have a very specific Ducati or BMW question - I usually pop it onto the Vintage Ducati Forum, or Vintage BMW Owners forum...and those dudes are usually pretty anti-Jap bike.

Cheers,
    AK
    1958 Vespa VBA
    1963 BMW R69S
    1965 Ducati 250 special
    1965 Alfa Romeo Veloce Spider
    2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans

the hardcore v-twin crowd (1%'rs) don't think much of jap streetbikes, but I bet even they ride the occasional jap dirtbike.

you'll have purists anywhere, but anyone who really loves motorcycles can appreciate almost any motorcycle.

if I could afford a ducati or a buell or even an aprilia rs250 you bet your ass I would own one, but it certainly doesn't make the jap bikes bad, and I don't feel shortchanged by owning one. I feel like I'm being smart - I could have the bike I lust for, or I can ride and enjoy the bike I have. and, let's face it, the japs taught us some lessons in manufacturing.

Stereotypes are a funny thing. Good thing we all don't fall into them.

Besides, if you don't want a "cruiser" you're going to get a Japanese or European bike.

The Japanese put a lot of time and effort into developing technology that won races. I think the reason Americans love Japanese bikes is because they are cheap, dependable and fast. What more do you need?

sounds like some of you have very narrow motorcycle experiences and need to broaden your circles of sheeples

quote:Originally posted by krapfever

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67
    japanese motorcycles are the only bikes I know where people's for them comes from experiences with them more than them just looking cool in a magazine or parked on a street.
    Right on, man.

Right. ing. On.

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links