Aluminum Seats
Close

Aluminum Seats

This is a discussion on Aluminum Seats within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi All: I get inquiries from time to time about the cafe seat I made for my CB360. I just sold one to a kid ...

Thread: Aluminum Seats

Aluminum Seats

Hi All:

I get inquiries from time to time about the cafe seat I made for my CB360. I just sold one to a kid in San Diego and thought I'd post some pics of it. The cover is made by the very lovely GirlNamedGo. Despite the pics, it fits great. I just threw it on really quickly and didn't feel like fitting it perfectly. Hope you like it.

--Thanks, Chris

wow looks great, if you don't mind can i ask how much you sold it for?
    running bikes: N/A
    project bikes: CB250, CL125a, BSA bantam d1

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

SJW
    I have a CB360. I'll take one.
    Canada, we\'re bigger and on top. If this were jail you\'d be our bitch.

Sorry guys. I responded to this on my mobile, but it looks like it didn't go through.

Thanks for the compliments! That seat sold for $400. I hate polishing, so the rough sanded seats sell for much less. I actually have a newer, more streamlined seat that I like better. I don't have any pics because I'm waiting on a cover.

SWJ: PM me with your requirements.

--Thanks, Chris

chris, if you can do it i'd be interested in an alloy tz250 seat. i think you have my email. drop me a line if you're interested.

...connoisseur of slack...

Chris,
    What alloy did you use? The aluminum seats I've made out of 6061 and 3033(?) always cracked. They weren't the best design, they weren't mounted great, and my aluminum welding isn't the best so there were plenty of reasons for them to crack besides the alloy I used I guess.

I've had some people tell me the dead soft 1100 is the best for tanks and seats.
    JohnnyB

Seems like I've heard you need to anneal the aluminium while you work. No?
    LOOK OUT IT\'S COMING THIS WAY!

Gents:

I used 3003 aluminum. The best stuff--in my experience--is 3003 full soft. In Dallas, it's a pain in the ass to get and cost me twice as much as mild tempered stuff I use. Making my seats out of .060" 6061 would be damn near impossible. It just would not bend right. I have made these seats out of 20ga 5052 as well, but only when I'm in a bind. I have some really soft aluminum sheet that has 1/8" perforated holes as well. That is by far the lightest seat, but it doesn't have that traditional look. I do that seat in the new style, which looks completely different than the pics I posted.

I could anneal the aluminum; you're right. But I don't and it works fine thus far.

SnorkleFork: I don't have your email, but I'll check your profile. I'll try to get ahold of you.

--Thanks all! Chris

Gents:

I used 3003 aluminum. The best stuff--in my experience--is 3003 full soft. In Dallas, it's a pain in the ass to get and cost me twice as much as mild tempered stuff I use. Making my seats out of .060" 6061 would be damn near impossible. It just would not bend right. I have made these seats out of 20ga 5052 as well, but only when I'm in a bind. I have some really soft aluminum sheet that has 1/8" perforated holes as well. That is by far the lightest seat, but it doesn't have that traditional look. I do that seat in the new style, which looks completely different than the pics I posted.

I could anneal the aluminum; you're right. But I don't and it works fine thus far.

SnorkleFork: I don't have your email, but I'll check your profile. I'll try to get ahold of you.

--Thanks all! Chris

Sponsored Links