Oldish cafe racer getting back into the saddle
Close

Oldish cafe racer getting back into the saddle

This is a discussion on Oldish cafe racer getting back into the saddle within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi folks, As 16 year old I rode around London in the early 1960s with a bunch of friends, on 500s and 650s, mostly BSA ...

Red face Oldish cafe racer getting back into the saddle

Hi folks,

As 16 year old I rode around London in the early 1960s with a bunch of friends, on 500s and 650s, mostly BSA and Triumphs and somehow survived the era. Now with 9 grand children I want create a cafe racer to bring back some of the style and nostalgia of the era. I was an engineer and race bike mechanic back then, recently spent some years racing cars and still reasonably handy with a spanner. I joined this site to learn from people who have done it and done it well and will look forward to reading others experiences. I have just bought a Suzuki GSX550 to get started with. Air cooled, reasonable looks, good power and seems a simple reliable bike to cut my teeth on.

I'm Looking forward to getting started on the project and getting feedback.

Welcome!

do you have any pictures of the bikes you used to have?
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Welcome! I can't wait to see your contributions to the site in builds, questions, and pictures!

Cool! ---RIP

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Cut your teeth? I think that's already been done long ago...sounds more like you are going to sharpen them. Looking forward to more posts. Welcome!
    “And this you can know – fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe.”
    John Steinbeck

Read lots of posts here before asking any question that you will find extensive answers to first. And welcome to the forum.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Read lots of posts here before asking any question that you will find extensive answers to first. And welcome to the forum.
    thanks, will do. Cheers, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    Welcome!

do you have any pictures of the bikes you used to have?
    Thanks for asking.

Unfortunately I have no photos of that time. In those days cameras were for enthusiasts and pros.

The best I can do is post stock photos - my bikes looked identical, the mods I did were lowering the gearing and tuning, for better acceleration. Did not even change mufflers as they were straight through as stock. Edit: just remembered I did replace handles bars on A7 first to Ace bars then clip ons.

My main two bikes of that time 1961-1965 were:

1956 BSA A7 Shooting Star (500 twin)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  99.3 KB

1954 BSA Gold Star (500 single)
Views: 578
Size:  71.3 KB

There is a great photo of a bunch of 59 riders outside the Busy Bee cafe and whilst I am not in the photo you can see that we all pretty much looked the same. Open face helmet (closed helmets had not been invented), leather flyers goggles, silk scarf to keep the bugs out of mouth, leather jacket (they only came in black then), jeans, fur lined boots (it is England and almost always cold or wet or both) and fur lined gauntlets. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ee-rockers.jpg

More recently had Honda XR400 trail bike, Yamaha TTR230 trail bike but a bad hip has forced me to stop riding trail bikes.

I currently have a Hyosung GV650
Views: 473
Size:  98.7 KB

I just bought a GSX550 project bike which I will post photos of as the project proceeds.

Cheers, Ed
    Last edited by Ed9911; 01-01-2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added comment on handlebars, fixed URL

Sponsored Links