new member from Mark Twain Country! - Page 2
Close

new member from Mark Twain Country!

This is a discussion on new member from Mark Twain Country! within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Currently looking for a replacement part for where the tach cable connects to the block. from the photos it looks like the original part broke ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: new member from Mark Twain Country!

Cap, tach gear cb500 1972

Currently looking for a replacement part for where the tach cable connects to the block.

Name:  tach1.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  226.8 KB

Name:  tach2.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  218.1 KB

from the photos it looks like the original part broke off and some of it still remains in there.

Name:  captach-gear_medium12451323000-01_29fd.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  12.6 KB

this looks to be the culprit:

Part Number# 12451-323-000 CAP, TACHOMETER
    Last edited by jessekreib; 02-25-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    1972 CB500Four

Dont just look for the part from a CB500. The CB500, CB550 and the CB450 & 500 twins all shared a lot of parts. Hell my early CB550 exhausts have CB500 stamped in them.

Quote Originally Posted by muskies666 View Post
    Dont just look for the part from a CB500. The CB500, CB550 and the CB450 & 500 twins all shared a lot of parts. Hell my early CB550 exhausts have CB500 stamped in them.
    yea thats what i'm seeing when i search the part number which is great news. with any luck i'll be able to find one local.
    1972 CB500Four

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hey Jessie, I was looking at that bike in my area. It was listed on CL in Syracuse or Potsdam right? Im in Watertown...you?
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Hey Jessie, I was looking at that bike in my area. It was listed on CL in Syracuse or Potsdam right? Im in Watertown...you?
    It was posted in the Utica Craigslist, although it was closer to Syracuse. Just outside of Sylvan Beach. The guy selling it was a cool dude and had some other great treasures in his garage.

I'm closer to the PA border in the Elmira/Corning/Binghamton area but I went to school in cuse and lived there for a few years.
    1972 CB500Four

Looking at your close up pictures of the tank I can see why you would want to repaint it. All those nicks and the surface oxidation it isn't as nice as it could be. Try the mothers system I recommend. I have saved many an old paint job with just a few chemicals and Elbow grease. Don't use a machine buffer, do it all by hand. That left side dent could probably be taken out by a paintless dent professional. A good wax coat does wonders to hide small nicks and scratches.

This is my cb750, it was much worse than what you have when I started:

i do the mothers system twice a year and it just pops in the sun (and planet blue isn't even a candy color).
    Here is a candy red I did with the same system:

There were guys who thought this original paint was unsaveable. It didn't have fading but it had rust pimples showing through.

here is a brown set I did the same way, this did have a little fading on the top but to see it now you can't tell:
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

@Geeto thats a slick 750. When i'm ready to address the cosmetic on my bike i will certainly take your advice and see what i can do with the mothers system.

What you can't see in the photos is that one of the side panels has been repainted a copper (non candy) color and does not match the tank or other side panel. It's passable from a distance but up close in person you can tell. Not to mention it also has a 4" crack running through it that seems like it could get worse if left as is.

in other news, I may have a lead on a tach cap, if the fellow is willing to part out the block he has. as it stands he'd rather have someone buy the whole thing. now to decide if i want to drive 2.5 hours for it, or if the guy will take paypal and mail just the part...
    1972 CB500Four

I once owned a cb500 that was the same year and color that was purchased new - it was a great bike. Your bike would be a great bike to restore back to original. Doing that will almost triple your purchase price. If I recall correctly - I paid 1400 dollars for mine off the show room floor.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Welcome, and sweet bike! I don't like it, but I do agree with Geeto on one thing. I like that tank the way it is, but I'm not looking at it in person like you are. I think I'm going to buy one off ebay for my 350 to goof around with paint jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin View Post
    I once owned a cb500 that was the same year and color that was purchased new - it was a great bike. Your bike would be a great bike to restore back to original. Doing that will almost triple your purchase price.
    you left out the part where it will cost quadrouple his purchase price to do it correctly.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links