new member from Mark Twain Country!
Close

This is a discussion on new member from Mark Twain Country! within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey folks! I've periodically lurked these forums in the past and thought i'd go ahead and make myself official. My name is jesse and i'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: new member from Mark Twain Country!

Hey folks! I've periodically lurked these forums in the past and thought i'd go ahead and make myself official.

My name is jesse and i'm in upstate ny. I put a good amount of detail in my profile, but i'll try not to repeat it too much here.

I've only been riding for a few years but i have been very eager and passionate since the start.

My current project is a 1972 Honda CB500 Four that I purchased a few weeks ago. I think i got a pretty good deal at $1600. The bike runs very well, but like any 40-some-year-old bike it isn't without issues. Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  79.5 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  87.5 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  88.3 KBName:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  78.9 KBName:  photo 6.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  66.7 KBName:  photo 7.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  82.0 KBName:  photo 8.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  82.1 KB

Currently, this is my fix list:
    - Oil filter leaks
    - crack in side panel
    - front and rear tire need replaced
    - lube cables
    - lube chain
    - battery holster
    - sticky horn button
    - carb leak
    - replace seat foam & cover
    - two dents in tank
    - two dents in muffler
    - bulbs in guages
    1972 CB500Four

post more pics of the pinstriping. Is it original 70's work? or something done later (did you do it?).
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    post more pics of the pinstriping. Is it original 70's work? or something done later (did you do it?).
    I'm not sure when the pinstriping was added, nor did the seller. I'll take a few closeups of the detail tonight and post.

Ultimately i plan to give it a fresh coat of paint (as there is significant fade on the top of the tank [which i'm guessing is from gas wear?]), but as of right now i've got bigger fish to fry on this bike like get it running proper and safe.
    1972 CB500Four

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Christ I want a standard one of these badly.. they're such sweet little bikes.

Think the pin striping is standard? Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Japanese motorcycles from the 60s & 70s - Oxford Classic Honda Check under cb500/4 for sale for £0

Quote Originally Posted by nicebikemate View Post
    Think the pin striping is standard? Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Japanese motorcycles from the 60s & 70s - Oxford Classic Honda Check under cb500/4 for sale for £0
    Not the stock pinstriping, there is a design on the top of the tank that he hasn't shown yet.

Ultimately i plan to give it a fresh coat of paint (as there is significant fade on the top of the tank [which i'm guessing is from gas wear?])
    No appreciation for old things with character. No the fade is not from fuel spillage (though some of it might have been exacerbated by it). Honda factory paint jobs from that era are candy paint. What is a candy paint you ask? in this case the color pigment is carried in the clear coat, and is applied over a metallic base which shows through the colored clear. It fades because UV light will shine through the tinted clear coat, reflect off the metallic base coat, and then attack the color from the backside, so it gets sun exposure twice which causes it to fade faster than a standard base coat clear coat where the base is the color coat. If it is slight fading, then someone took really good care of the bike as usually the color fades out almost entirely and the top looks silver. Spraying candy is a special skill, you can't just get joe the local panel beater to shoot candy gold over silver flake in between fixing a minivan bumper and a bmw fender.

When clean and shiny, candy paint has a luminosity unmatched by regular base coat-clear coat. It literally glows in the sun because again the light reflects off the base and lights it up from underneath. Seeing as how the bike is 40 years old, the stock paint has probably oxidized and no longer glows due to junk and therefore looks no more special than a base coat-clear coat. If you care about getting the luster back here is what I would do: go get mother's 3 part system (Polish, Glaze, pure carnuba wax) and do the whole bike. The Polish addresses the oxidation, the glaze smooths it out, and the wax protects it. I would do the first phase twice, then glaze, then wax. then another coat of wax. Then take it out in the sun. It will never shine like new paint, but it will probably be loads better than what you have now.

But let's talk about character for a second. Given the overal good condition of the bodywork, the minor scratches, dents, and previous owner added embelishments are an indication that the bike has "lived a life". If you were doing a 100pt restoration on a rare model of motorcycle then I would say, have at it, spray it 100 percent perfect and shuttle the bike from trailer to bike show and back. But you are going to use this bike. It is not going to be perfect, so why not instead of wiping it's slate clean, add to the character with your own experiences. Let the bike really tell a story. When you are talking about vehicles that are no more rare than your mother's toaster, the wear marks and the user added "damage" and the tell tale signs of entropy and time are the things that make the bike unique. Remember, when it comes to bikes that old - you aren't an owner so much as a caretaker for the next person.

Can you pinstripe? bet you can't. It isn't easy. Betcha the striping on your bike is the older lead based one shot and if not destroyed it will probably outlast the stock exhaust. Plus if you knew how hard it was to do you would probably be less inclined to destroy it. But not everybody "gets" hot rod art.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 02-24-2014 at 01:02 PM.
    bfont52 likes this.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Yah dude...your bike but please don't repaint that thing. Only hurting the value and you will lose some cool artwork.

as requested, here are some additional photos of the pinstriping on the tank.Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  491.7 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  595.8 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  596.7 KBName:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  561.8 KB
    1972 CB500Four

It's an amateur job but still pretty neat.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

If you must repaint at least take the tank and side covers off and sell them. You will have enough to buy a tank wi worse paint and paint that. That tank and side cover set is way too nice to destroy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links