Cafe Racer Forum banner

Chicago Newbie who is completely new to bikes

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  kenessex 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

My name is Conrad and I am a total newbie when it comes to motorcycles. I'm planning on getting my motorcycle license this year and would like to get riding soon. I have worked in the auto industry for 13 years from sweeping floors, painting cars, to selling and buying. I am a very avid Snowboarder and that is my passion. I have really gotten into urban bike riding lately as well. Everyone I talk to seems to always ask if I love the freedom of snowboarding so much and I love cars why don't I own a motorcycle.

Well I'm 30 years old now and I feel as though I'm at the point in my life where I would be responsible enough to own a bike. I stumbled on this page as "Cafe Racer" styled bikes seem to be a favorite for me. So I am hoping to learn as much as I can before taking my first step into motorcycle ownership.

So I have some questions if anyone has the time are...
1. What's a good reliable first bike to own? (needs are below as I'm sure this is a general question)
  • Easy to own and maintain
  • Commuter to and from work; about 7 miles (would like to enjoy a long Sunday morning cruise every so often)
  • Managable to ride everything in downton Chicago (we have crappy roads)
  • Able to fit 2 people once in a while
  • Not expensive
2. Would any generation bike be OK or should I be focused on something newer like 90's and more recent or are these 70's bikes still ok and not going to keep me wrenching every other day to keep running?
3. What type of investment am I really looking into to start with?
4. Should I give up and just walk away from the "Cafe Racer" theme'd bike lol (I'm not expecting a poster or magazine cover styled bike I just love the simple naked look it seems)
5. Am I on the wrong forum? I see a lot of you are into actual racing, and as I'm not there yet, should I be starting somewhere else?

I am willing to put time in and work on a bike. That doesn't scare me as I love working on cars. Being my first bike thought I want something easy and reliable to learn on. I'd like to grow my passion before stepping foot into a full on garage project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

See less See more
#2 ·
You are fine here if you are willing to take advice and criticism. You made a wise choice looking for something reliable and easy to maintain. There are a few good options that will be argued but the overwhelming response will be a ninja 250... They are reliable, cheap, hold there value and are one of the best bikes to learn on. Other options would include modern bikes like a royal enfield or triumph if you have the money. Dual sports bikes are great too. Avoid the appeal of owning a vintage bike as you will spend lots of time wrenching and the ancient tech can make them unsafe for a new rider.

#4 · (Edited)
I think most people land here at this website because they've seen one of the thousands (if not more) Honda CB's molested to death in order to create a certain "look" to the bike. That look is to emulate something that happened 20 years earlier.

So when people come here and ask advice about bikes (like you have) and get told to get a Ninja 250 or something similar they think "what the hell are you talking about... a Ninja doesn't look anything like a cafe racer." And they're right. Whether we here at the board care to admit it or not, the term "Cafe Racer" has been usurped by a marketing movement meant to sell crappy Chinese parts to hipsters.

So if you're looking for a newer bike, reliable and whatnot, with the styling of what you probably think a Cafe Racer is supposed to look like, check out the retro-style bikes that are all the rage nowdays. (Things like a thruxton or a V7 Guzzi)

-Deek

#6 ·
I had been wondering at that myself. I have a 76 CB750 F1. Before doing any serious mods, I wanted to restore it first, and improve the running performance and maintainability. Most of the rage here is getting vintage Honda's and turning them into "Bobbers". I love the style of a vintage springer seat, but the rest is crap in my opinion. We have a large population of Hipsters, but none of them ride, thank the Gods. I love the vintage style of 40's Harleys, Nortons, and such, so I started looking at the Royal Enfields... I just don't know, though. The price isn't bad for a new bike, but I think I can find better in a sport bike or small cruiser.

#5 ·
I started here because I bought a vintage bike to rebuild. These guys guided me in the direction you seem to be on. I decided to buy a newer bike to ride while I'm doing the build. I just ran across the Royal Enfields at a local shop. I love the vintage look, but that one cylinder motor leaves me wondering. For the price I'd pay for that, I can get the new Honda CTX 700. The only downside of living around here is it's Harleys or Super Bikes. You can't find smaller bikes for sale very often.

#7 ·
Geeto likes to say that it's just a different sort of chopper. I think it's a little different, in that choppers are modified purely for style whereas Cafe Racers and Bobbers and Trackers, etc. are modified to emulate a style that is usually a result of performance improvements. It's worse, in a way... If I paint badass flames on my tank, it's not because I think it makes my bike look faster, it's because I want flames on my tank. If I take my fenders and airbox off it's not because I don't want fenders or an airbox, it's because I think it makes the bike look faster... it's emulating something i think I saw on a race bike once. (Even though I probably didn't) It's a subtle difference but I think it's an important one.

Anyway, I just wanted our new windy city friend to realize that if it's a certain look he's after, he can get the look and the reliability he's after without starting with a 30 year old bike!

-Deek

#8 ·
I agree, and I think he's on the right path. I guess I'm just skittish about the Royal Enfields, is all. They look superb, but that engine weirds me out for some reason. I suppose it shouldn't, because one cylinders were my bread and butter as a generator mechanic, but those were diesel. If I'm getting one new, I suppose I'll just have to test one out and see how it feels.

#9 ·
what's the big deal about a gas powered single? Singles were england's bread and butter bikes from the 30's through the 60's. What are you worried that if you drop a cylinder the other one won't be there to get you to the scene of the accident? (kidding, a little twin engine airplane humor). There are plenty of famous singles: BSA goldstar, yamaha SR500, Vincent Comet, to name a few.

The old RE single was basically unchanged from 1957 and was everything you expect from a 1957 engine - inconsistent on quality and extremely sensitive to break-in and tuning. The new 2009+ UCE engines are austrian designed, built to a global quality standard, fuel injected, and pretty darn reliable. If you want to bitch about something on an RE, bitch about the quality of the cosmetic finishing (some of it is great but really there shouldn't be overspray in the tank).

#10 ·
I took a look at a few. They're hard pressed to get hands on the Continental GT ("Cafe Racer"), so I don't know how that one would sit, but the Bullet 500 Classic was both comfortable and stylish. The only other bike I really liked there was a TU 250X from Suzuki. That bike was plain, simple, but comfortable as hell.

#13 ·
+1 on the TU250X. It's a really well made bike that's fun to ride, has standard ergonomics that feel a lot like a '70s bike, a comfortable seat, and it's dead reliable.

View attachment 6170
When I saw it, I almost thought it would be a great candidate for a cafe build years down the road. Though with how comfortable it is for a guy my size, I'd be loathe to change a thing about it. It's about a grand cheaper than the RE as well.

#15 ·
I would look at a Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki EX500. Either one of those would meet all of your parameters, including an occasional 2 up or longer ride. They are both conventional in every sense of the word and will be reliable and comfortable. Get in a year of riding, learn how to maintain a bike and make some simple mods with bars and grips and suspension to make the bike more suited to you. Then get an older bike to work on while you ride your GS or EX. You won't be tempted to rush your old bike because you have another bike to ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.