New member from Montana! - Page 2
Close

New member from Montana!

This is a discussion on New member from Montana! within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; this is actually brat style: http://bratstyle.com/ no kidding this is where the term comes from - this one shop in japan. However, like everything in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    this is actually brat style:

http://bratstyle.com/

no kidding this is where the term comes from - this one shop in japan.

However, like everything in america the morons take a term and literally misuse it into a smoldering hole in the ground before abandoning it for the next shiny object. "brat" has come to be known as basically a thin plank of a seat. Whenever a newbie uses that term, that is what is assumed. Also, I have yet to see a "brat style" seat done well outside of the actual bratstyle shop in japan. If you look closely at the pics, you'll notice how entrenched bratstyle is in japanese chopper culture. nothing to do with racers, or awesome bikes. So again...using it as an american is like waving the idiot flag for all the world to see. don't be that guy.

it wasn't lost on me that you were going to ride the bike for a year. but what you like now isn't what you are going to like in a year. stop making those kind of plans and just enjoy the thing.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

As I have already said twice in above posts... I WILL RIDE THE BIKE STOCK FOR AWHILE BEFORE I DECIDE TO CHANGE ANYTHING! I think the thruxton seat would be pretty darn comfy since it is the stock seat that comes on a much nicer and more expensive british bike. I don't plan on getting those 1" seats like you may be thinking of, Geeto. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "brat". It seems to be a touchy subject with cafe guys. Anyways, thanks for the advice. I am a guy who does his research, and then does more research before going through with anything. I will check out some of the seca race bikes you are referring to. Also, I thought I should mention... we have very long, snowy winters in Montana. This means I will have a lot of time when I can't ride but will still want to be around my bike. I can use this time do some wrenching and upgrades (aesthetically and performance wise). So, while its not "ALL I'M THINKING ABOUT", yes I will be thinking about the looks of my bike, just as most people do.

Edit: sorry for the double post. I didn't think it saved it so i typed it out again in a slightly different version.

Thanks for the "brat" history. I didn't realize that. You are right about the misuse of the term. After watching some youtube vids and looking up custom versions of my bike, that is a term that many people used to describe and label their bikes as. I won't use it again, since thats not really the style im going for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Thanks! In my opinion (for what that's worth) it already is a beautiful bike, but I would like to make it more one of a kind. One day it will have... slim and trim bratstyle seat similar to that of a thruxton, bar end mirrors, clip-ons or clubmans, rearsets, new/different exhaust, wrapped exhaust, better brakes and suspension, custom side panels that are flush with that triangle in the frame, maybe new headlight, smaller gauge(s), maybe spoke wheels (black), and possibly a few other things that I can't think off right off.
    ok let me be more clear in my answers.. seat- no, barend morrors- maybe (get ones that give you a view), clipons (yes w/ rearsets), clubmans are cheap and look it. exhaust- yes (a good 4-1). wrapped exhaust- hell no (you just got a new exhaust , why would it need wrap), panels- why, headlight- why, smaller gauges- why, and the big one spoke wheels- isnt your bike shaft drive? where you gonna get a spoked hub? that fits/works,
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

thanks for the clarification. ok so i probably won't wrap the exhaust (just thought it looked cool but after more reading its not worth it). probably won't replace headlight or gauges, but i would like some custom side panels. Probably won't change the rims due to a lot of work and shopping for hard to find parts. Definitely getting a new seat though and cleaning up the back end a bit. I would like to figure out someway to remount turn signals too so they don't stick out so far. I would like to get one of those old style race fairings too.. block some wind and looks cool

I've gone through so much time and thought about the direction I'd like to take with my CB build. I've spent a lot of time here, soaking up as much knowledge as I can. So far, I think getting the bike running and sticking to mods that are simply performance driven is the best idea. As much as I love the style of the old Cafe Racers, I have the feeling that I will end up with a bike that is fairly close to it's original design and I won't want to change it. Then again, I may want to change the entire riding profile. I'll see when I get there. Guys like us are lucky, because we have a wealth of knowledge here and it's given (albeit sometimes sarcastically...lol) because of experience.
    "There is only room for one on this microphone. So in my finest hour, I'm still alone." - SR-71
    1976 CB750F
    1985 CMX250C

Quote Originally Posted by FallenSaint View Post
    I've gone through so much time and thought about the direction I'd like to take with my CB build. I've spent a lot of time here, soaking up as much knowledge as I can. So far, I think getting the bike running and sticking to mods that are simply performance driven is the best idea. As much as I love the style of the old Cafe Racers, I have the feeling that I will end up with a bike that is fairly close to it's original design and I won't want to change it. Then again, I may want to change the entire riding profile. I'll see when I get there. Guys like us are lucky, because we have a wealth of knowledge here and it's given (albeit sometimes sarcastically...lol) because of experience.
    i agree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links