New member from Montana!
Close

New member from Montana!

This is a discussion on New member from Montana! within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys and girls, I am a new rider with very little riding, mechanical, etc. experience. My parents always owned motorcycles, and I have always ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool New member from Montana!

Hey guys and girls,

I am a new rider with very little riding, mechanical, etc. experience. My parents always owned motorcycles, and I have always wanted a motorcycle since I was a kid. I'm going to buy my first bike next week! I am super excited and have already made a deal with the guy for $1100. The bike is a 1982 Yamaha XJ650r Seca! At first I wanted a 2003+ sv650, but due to my need to be different and lack of money, I decided to start a build project with a cheaper older bike. This bike is in great condition aesthetically and performance wise so I plan on riding it and getting used to it before I start buying a bunch of mods and upgrades for it. I am glad I found a forum that is dedicated to the same hobby/passion that I have recently discovered. I look forward to getting some great advice from you guys, and hope to be able to lend advice to other newbies after my learning experiences. Here's a pic of my bike....

Name:  IMG_0200.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  138.3 KB

I like the old XJ's. Pretty tough motors but after 30 years there will be a lot of other things on the bike that need attention and will keep you busy.

You want to join this place if you haven't already:

XJBikes.com ? News

I already registered at xjbikes.com with the same user name. I am ready for a new challenge and I realize that this old bike will take some wrenching and routine maintenance. Bring it on!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

No worries - just as long as you are aware of what may lay ahead of you.

You'd be amazed at the number of noobs we get here thinking they can turn their $100 CL find into a turn-key rider with $100 of parts from DCC and a case of PBR.

By the way - is your bike titled /registered / on the road?

Yes i do understand that alot of noobs buy cheap and cruddy bikes and expect to have a beautiful classy bike with only putting bolt on parts that cost $10 here and there. Thats not me. I paid $1100 for a beautiful, great condition 1982 xj650 seca (see pic above) and it is titled, registered, and street legal. I recently dropped over $500 on riding gear (safety first). Like is said i want to get some miles under my butt before i start changing the bike. I may do a few quick fixes here and there (bent levers, broken signal cover, etc.) but nothing to extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a nice looking bike. I couldn't really picture changing it much. I'd fix all problem areas, shine her up, and ride her with a smile.
    "There is only room for one on this microphone. So in my finest hour, I'm still alone." - SR-71
    1976 CB750F
    1985 CMX250C

Thanks! In my opinion (for what that's worth) it already is a beautiful bike, but I would like to make it more one of a kind. One day it will have... slim and trim bratstyle seat similar to that of a thruxton, bar end mirrors, clip-ons or clubmans, rearsets, new/different exhaust, wrapped exhaust, better brakes and suspension, custom side panels that are flush with that triangle in the frame, maybe new headlight, smaller gauge(s), maybe spoke wheels (black), and possibly a few other things that I can't think off right off.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Thanks! In my opinion (for what that's worth) it already is a beautiful bike, but I would like to make it more one of a kind. One day it will have... slim and trim bratstyle seat similar to that of a thruxton, bar end mirrors, clip-ons or clubmans, rearsets, new/different exhaust, wrapped exhaust, better brakes and suspension, custom side panels that are flush with that triangle in the frame, maybe new headlight, smaller gauge(s), maybe spoke wheels (black), and possibly a few other things that I can't think off right off.
    lets see-no, maybe, clipons (only w/ rearsets), yes, 4-1, hell no,hell yes, why?, why?, why?, no...
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

Haha. I think the seat is pretty ugly and bulky. Thruxton seat is very similar to the style that is on the bike now, but it is thinner and just looks better in my opinion. That new seat will compliment the gas tank more. Plus I need to be able to ride 2 up (lady friend). Was the "hell no" to the better brakes and suspension? If so why? I wouldn't do anything crazy like put a R1 fork on it or anything. I probably won't get a new headlight and gauges. Spoke wheels look a bit more classy IMO. Just a personal preference, but it would be one of the last things that I would do, and maybe I would change my mind by then. Those curvy rims are a signature to that bike so I may keep them. Also what was the "hell yes" for? The custom side panels?

how about what compliments your ass more? you think those people with "brat" seats actually ride those bikes? no, they wobble from local coffee shop to local bar or sit inside aforementioned coffee shop.

Here is what you do....ride the thing. Figure out what you enjoy about riding motorcycles. If all you are thinking about is the looks of the bike then you aren't into motorcycles, you are into fashion design.

In the meantime try to do a little research about seca race bikes. I think Kenessex races one in vintage events and I think they were raced when new.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links