Cheers
Close

Cheers

This is a discussion on Cheers within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello, I am extremely pleased to have found these forums. Already, I have done so much reading and have gotten so many bad ideas out ...

Thread: Cheers

Cheers

Hello,

I am extremely pleased to have found these forums. Already, I have done so much reading and have gotten so many bad ideas out of my head that would have likely turned into typical rookie mistakes. Kerosene's reply in the New Members Read First thread was invaluable.

Brief about me, 31yo active duty Army, riding for 3 years, limited but growing mechanical know-how, currently in NC.

I've only been riding for a few years, but love it. I currently own a 2003 BMW F650GS Dakar and a 2002 BMW R1100S, both unmodified. As far as cafe racers goes, my main interests rest with vintage Beemers, particularly the R 75/5. I absolutely love vintage Nortons but that's beyond my price range. I also enjoy the look of the Yamaha 650s and 750s.

I'm on the hunt for a donor bike that speaks to me (not to sound cheesy), one that I would hopefully restore, modify and preserve as a life long bike. I'm not interested in taking a vintage bike and chopping it up for the sole purpose of aesthetics.

Coming Monday, the 14th, I will be away for the following 9 weeks. Again, hello to all and I am looking forward to humbly learning what I can from all of you.

Cheers,
    Brian

Lots of love for the airheads. You'll probably be better served by the Yammy's, tho.

Good luck on your search and your deployment.

Thank you for your service!

-Deek

Thank you Deek.
    I am interested in why you'd recommend a Yamaha over a BMW airhead. The only thing I can think of is maybe ease of maintenance. If you think other new members might benefit from the explanation, then by all means reply here. Otherwise, a PM would be of much help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

because the BMWs that are worth a shit are going to be expensive to repair and modify. Yamaha's are dirt cheap and unless you are buying an XS1 or an XS2 not all that collectible. You actually improve their value by modifying them.

If you want something really unique buy a later xs650 and then call phil little racing for a "storm" kit. It is a triumph x75 hurricane tribute that is a little easier to live with than an actual hurricane. Paint it some crazy heavy metal flake color and then enjoy it for the next 10-20 years. That's what I would do if I wasn't allready balls deep in a million other projects.

However if you want an airhead - forget the R75/5. I am a fan too don't get me wrong, but outside of looks it's pretty marginal as far as airheads go. Most people hate the /5 750 motor preferring the later airheads just for parts availability and ease of maintenance.

If it were me I would look for an R90s, R100S final edition, R100RS or something equally "collectible" but not fully appreciated yet. Only the first year R90s bikes in smoke or orange fade are really up there in price, the later ones are still affordable. If you want one to modify and play around with I would look for a monolever 1985- 1992 (i think that's the last year before the oil heads). The suspension and brakes are just better on those models. Ritmo Sereno can sell you all the custom cafe racer parts you can afford for one and you could really have a first class bike but it won't be collectible like a factory original.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuropeptide-Y View Post
    Thank you Deek.
    I am interested in why you'd recommend a Yamaha over a BMW airhead. The only thing I can think of is maybe ease of maintenance. If you think other new members might benefit from the explanation, then by all means reply here. Otherwise, a PM would be of much help.
    Basically what Geeto said. Parts for early airheads are getting harder to find and more expensive. (Or so I've heard... I don't own one myself) Yamaha parts are available everywhere and are still reasonable prices for those models.

Also, as much as I like to tackle things on my own, I do occasionally rely on others for advice or even helping turn a wrench here and there... it's likely you'll need help at some point too and the number of helpful folks who know, well, anything about an older airhead is very, very small. Sure the internet is great but 1 on 1 interaction in the presence of the problem is invaluable and there just won't be many who can help.

-Deek
    Last edited by ILoveThumpers; 04-11-2014 at 12:58 PM.

All great points. Yes, I am quite reluctant to accept or request physical assistance with any project.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuropeptide-Y View Post
    I am quite reluctant to accept or request physical assistance with any project.
    Well that's dumb. I'd change that attitude pretty quickly. You are gonna need all the help you can get.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Sponsored Links