New Member from LA
Close

New Member from LA

This is a discussion on New Member from LA within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello all, My name is Vic and I am brand new to the hobby as well as this forum. Right now I'm saving up to ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Member from LA

New Member from LA

Hello all,

My name is Vic and I am brand new to the hobby as well as this forum. Right now I'm saving up to buy my first bike and do my first build. I don't have a lot of money but after reading a few threads before registering I get the feeling I don't need to throw cash at my project in order for it to turn into a good bike (which is a relief). I've done a bit of research into what a cafe racer bike is and how it came about but I want to learn more, especially from guys who have decades of experience.

That said which bikes would be good for a beginner that after riding for a few months I can turn into a good cafe racer? What magazines, websites, blogs, or other forums do you guys know of that could help me learn more about motorcycle mechanics and this hobby? All suggestions/comments/thoughts are welcome. I might be a newbie but I want to learn how to do things the right way.

Hey Vic,
    You a really big guy or a really small guy ?:I

The best way to learn all about motorcycles is to get involved in the amateur motorcycle competition of your choice,
    that will introduce you to all of the best riders & tuners in the country as well as the dealers and distributors of the goods.

… that's where all those guys go on any Sunday you know, they go racing they don't waste their time hanging around blogs and magazines.

How did this place give you the impression you don't need to spend much money?
    monkey likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Because you guys are always trying to do it on the cheap

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    its all relative... making an old bike "fast" is considerably cheaper than making a (any) car "fast"
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

I don't know if that is true at all.
    speed costs money.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    its all relative... making an old bike "fast" is considerably cheaper than making a (any) car "fast"
    That all depends on your choice of bike and how you define "fast".

For what I spent on rebuilding a roundcase Ducati engine, I could have built one hell of a small block V8...
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    I don't think I made myself clear. I know I will need to spend money on this build just not all at once. After reading a few threads the route I plan to take for this bike is: buy a solid running bike that still needs help in some areas, ride it, then after I get a good feel for the machine fix a part of the bike, then keep riding it, making small changes here and there as I go. Instead of buying a bunch of fancy parts and slapping on the bike without ever having taken it out. I'll still be spending a good sum, don't get me wrong, but on quality parts I'll know the bike needs.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Hey Vic,
    You a really big guy or a really small guy ?:I

The best way to learn all about motorcycles is to get involved in the amateur motorcycle competition of your choice,
    that will introduce you to all of the best riders & tuners in the country as well as the dealers and distributors of the goods.

… that's where all those guys go on any Sunday you know, they go racing they don't waste their time hanging around blogs and magazines.
    I'm kinda small, only 5'6, and not very heavy.

Thanks for the advice about the MC competitions. I'll start looking some up.

Quote Originally Posted by VIC-14 View Post
    I don't think I made myself clear. I know I will need to spend money on this build just not all at once. After reading a few threads the route I plan to take for this bike is: buy a solid running bike that still needs help in some areas, ride it, then after I get a good feel for the machine fix a part of the bike, then keep riding it, making small changes here and there as I go. Instead of buying a bunch of fancy parts and slapping on the bike without ever having taken it out. I'll still be spending a good sum, don't get me wrong, but on quality parts I'll know the bike needs.
    I believe that is a good approach. I wrote this in a different thread about a week ago:

I am new to this forum as well but thought I would throw this in: My best, easiest and most fun builds came from a bike I either always wanted or maybe thought I wanted and ONLY after I had owned it and rode it for some time. If you like your bike and ride it for awhile you will find the things that you thought you loved about the bike, the things you surprisingly like, the things you hate and the things you would like to improve on the bike. I know this sounds weird but you will get a connection to the machine and once that is made it really (IN MY OPINION) does not matter that much the ease or within reason the cost of the build. You will find yourself in your cafe build. Of course a CB 100 is easier to work on than a CB1100 but if you don't like the 100 what does it matter?

Also you build the way YOU want your bike to be. I cant count the times friends told me do this, I got a set of gsxr forks, your dumb doing this, etc. I don't give a flying turd what they like....I'm doing this for myself. Just a thought. Good luck with your choice.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links