Newbie from SC
Close

Newbie from SC

This is a discussion on Newbie from SC within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello all, I am new to motorcycling, but not to forums. So I am fully aware of how much I don't know and how stupid ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from SC

Newbie from SC

Hello all,

I am new to motorcycling, but not to forums. So I am fully aware of how much I don't know and how stupid I'm going to sound. Please forgive me.

My names Tyler. I'm a 23 year old first year law student. I've always wanted a motorcycle, but always put it off because it would be better to wait (after 25 for insurance, etc). But last summer, my dad died, and I've decided I don't want to wait because who knows when it'll happen to me. Anyways, over the years, I've come to appreciate the streetfighter/cafe style bikes. My bike will be for driving around downtown for school, so I'm not interested in a cruiser-style. So, question for you is, should I go the cafe-style route (Royal enfield continental gt) or go for a more practical first bike something along the lines of a suzuki gs500? I see the merits of the suzuki-style for learning, but I'm not sure if I should get a bike that I'll probably want to get rid of in a year. I'll definitely get a used bike either way.

So if you haven't thrown up in disgust yet, I'd appreciate any help.

Fun fact: The administrator on here (ffarl) was also an admin on a photography forum I used to be a pretty big part of. He sent me a cd of his band. They're pretty good!
    Last edited by Tiller; 02-13-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Go for the Royal Enfield, learn to ride safe, maintain it and enjoy it.

Sorry about your father

Depending on your height, weight, etc the GS might be a good choice. Please ride before you cafe anything.....for you own sake.

"Ding"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I am 5'10", 169 lbs. I won't be cafe-ing anything anytime soon. If I get a cafe style, it will be pre-made.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
    I am 5'10", 169 lbs. I won't be cafe-ing anything anytime soon. If I get a cafe style, it will be pre-made.
    Forget the R E GT. For what I know is it is slow, heavy and I think cheaply made, uncomfortable and crude. It is not a bike that would be happy sitting on 70MPH out on a long country road.

Get a Naked GS500E. Or, if you like it's looks and mainly ride in town, a TU250X could be a great first bike.

The is a big difference between used, used up and worn out bikes. Cheap bikes cost three times what an expensive one costs: trust me here.

Do a MSF course. Read Zen and the art of, and Hells' Angels by HST.

I guess if you are studying law, you want be around for a while. Well, buy a race quality full face helmet, real race gloves, M/C boots and real protective clothing.

The first bike anyone owns is for learning to survive on the road, how to ride, and how to service and keep a bike in operational condition. And falling off, usually at very slow speeds. The first bike is not a fashion accessary, it's a learning tool.

Danger, is
    my business."
    Last edited by Witworth; 02-13-2015 at 03:28 PM.

I'm signed up for the local MSF course for later this month. And that's funny, I just ordered ZATAOMM last week on a friends suggestion. I'll check out the other book.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Witworth.

get an enduro

honda 600 cc enduro, a supermoto, a stret legal trail bike.... way more fun!!! ride it! you drop it, pick it up and keep riding.

no flashy bits, no chrome, no crap
    latered

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
    I'm signed up for the local MSF course for later this month. And that's funny, I just ordered ZATAOMM last week on a friends suggestion. I'll check out the other book.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Witworth.
    Wow, that's SO ZEN.

Danger, is my business."

Royal Enfield is not for sustained highway use at 70 MPH. Other than that, not too bad if you have very good mechanical skills.

If you are going that route, you'll spend less money buying a roadworthy 70s Triumph big twin with a clean title; not hard to find and a MUCH better bike..
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Royal Enfield Continental is a fine first bike. They've gotten their act together and it looks nice. It's also priced right.

As Grandpaul said, it's not going to be any good on the highway. It will be a fun bike to learn on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links