I need some guidance... - Page 2
Close

I need some guidance...

This is a discussion on I need some guidance... within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Mata-Tan I have never worked on anything mechanical, though my best friend is a mechanical engineer and can help greatly. Speaking as ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I need some guidance...

Quote Originally Posted by Mata-Tan View Post
    I have never worked on anything mechanical, though my best friend is a mechanical engineer and can help greatly.
    Speaking as someone who has an engineering degree and has worked with a lot engineers over the past 25+ years; the fact your buddy has a degree in mechanical engineering doesn't mean jack when it comes to knowing how to work on bikes. The emphasis within my degree was internal combustion engines. I learned nothing about being a mechanic from any of the classes I took to get my degree. That's not directed at your buddy specifically, he may be a mechanical genuis, I dunno. But one of the biggest hacks of a mechanic I ever met was a mechanical engineer who even worked in development engineering. COMPLETE hack. Amazingly bad. Any mechanical intuition/skills I have stem from being raised by a motorhead. The mechanical interest/experience led to the engineering degree, not the other way around.

As for your Monster... you're thinking the 12k mile service is costly but want to improve it's looks and give it "attitude"? Well... it's a 620. The smallest Monster ever sold in the US. Attitude costs money and your Monster will end up being the chihuahua with the spiked collar in a land of big dogs who think it's cute. There's nothing wrong with that, hell, I have a Ducati with single digit horsepower for cripesakes, I'm just saying. The pictures people have posted are pipe dreams to someone who's concerned about the cost of a 12,000 mile service. You can buy a brand new Ducati for what those would cost a newbie to build/have built.

As others have already said, learn to maintain what you already have and go from there. You already have a shop manual for it, right? If not, that's your next purchase. If you don't really want to spend the money on one, and would rather buy a vented clutch cover like the other cool kids... you're in trouble. And not just because the 620 has a wet clutch.

I hope I don't sound like I'm ripping on your 620, I'm not trying too. It's a great bike to learn on, but you should be realistic about what it is/can be. I have no idea how much mechanical intuiton you or your buddy have so it's hard to comment on what you can and can't do, but Whit is probably right about belts and valves. It's not hard if you have a good understanding of how things work, but if you don't understand the relationship between the crank and the cams and the valves and the pistons, etc... changing a belt can be nerve wracking (and damaging if you screw it up).
    Last edited by DesmoDog; 02-27-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    Geeto67, Cyorg, TCed and 2 others like this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

what Desmo said. 100%
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I'm not sure which one of you to quote on my reply, you've all been of great help and I'll follow all your advice. I'll keep reading and learning and keep making short projects with minor things without altering the ultimate goal, to KEEP RIDIN' !!
    I'll spend the money on the 12K mile service and keep up with the maintenance.
    I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR ADVICE!!!
    You guys are awesome and I look forward to keep on learning from you.

PS. I was actually expecting some harsh responses based on other posts I've read here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    I hope I don't sound like I'm ripping on your 620, I'm not trying too. It's a great bike to learn on, but you should be realistic about what it is/can be.
    No offense taken at all. I understand what I have and I've noticed the limits it may have.
    I'll try to use my Associate's Degree from YTU and my Master's from GU and get some more ideas of what can reasonably be done within my limits.
    The Manual is definitely my next purchase.
    Thank you!

bfd
    Check this bike that started life as a Monster 750.
    Tannermatic

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    Speaking as someone who has an engineering degree and has worked with a lot engineers over the past 25+ years; the fact your buddy has a degree in mechanical engineering doesn't mean jack when it comes to knowing how to work on bikes. The emphasis within my degree was internal combustion engines. I learned nothing about being a mechanic from any of the classes I took to get my degree. That's not directed at your buddy specifically, he may be a mechanical genuis, I dunno. But one of the biggest hacks of a mechanic I ever met was a mechanical engineer who even worked in development engineering. COMPLETE hack. Amazingly bad. Any mechanical intuition/skills I have stem from being raised by a motorhead. The mechanical interest/experience led to the engineering degree, not the other way around.

As for your Monster... you're thinking the 12k mile service is costly but want to improve it's looks and give it "attitude"? Well... it's a 620. The smallest Monster ever sold in the US. Attitude costs money and your Monster will end up being the chihuahua with the spiked collar in a land of big dogs who think it's cute. There's nothing wrong with that, hell, I have a Ducati with single digit horsepower for cripesakes, I'm just saying. The pictures people have posted are pipe dreams to someone who's concerned about the cost of a 12,000 mile service. You can buy a brand new Ducati for what those would cost a newbie to build/have built.

As others have already said, learn to maintain what you already have and go from there. You already have a shop manual for it, right? If not, that's your next purchase. If you don't really want to spend the money on one, and would rather buy a vented clutch cover like the other cool kids... you're in trouble. And not just because the 620 has a wet clutch.

I hope I don't sound like I'm ripping on your 620, I'm not trying too. It's a great bike to learn on, but you should be realistic about what it is/can be. I have no idea how much mechanical intuiton you or your buddy have so it's hard to comment on what you can and can't do, but Whit is probably right about belts and valves. It's not hard if you have a good understanding of how things work, but if you don't understand the relationship between the crank and the cams and the valves and the pistons, etc... changing a belt can be nerve wracking (and damaging if you screw it up).
    Very well said. I spent three decades working with those engineering types. Some were absolutely brilliant and some not so much. I may have crossed paths with that hack you are referring to. He sounds vaigly familiar. Generally speaking, once they were outside their area of expertise, they were just as dumb as everyone else... and I don't mean that in a bad way. I found that an engineering degree or any degree for that matter, wasn't always an indicator of higher intelligence, but then WTF do I know because I dropped out of high school. You are lucky you were raised by a motorhead. I was raised by a PhD in microbiology and a RN who were both ex military, so all I got was a phobia about microbes and some sort of psychological disorder from being toilet trained at gunpoint.
    thechief86 and kerosene like this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by bfd View Post
    Check this bike that started life as a Monster 750.
    Tannermatic
    Nice!!
    I'm tempted to post it on IG as my own.... then try to sell it on CG!!!

I would not get a book larning guy to put a screw into drywall.

Let alone anywhere near a complex bike like a Ducati.

I don't know anyone with a degree who really knows their ass from their elbow when it comes to anything mechanical.

Military guys may be dumb as hammers, but at least they know how to read a manual, and do exactly what it recommends. The Big Brain Brothers read the book, and then often make it up as they go along.

Danger, is my business."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    You are lucky you were raised by a motorhead.
    Even better, he was a motorhead shop teacher. He had summer's off and a boatload of tools that were at my disposal. At 17 I wanted to buy a car that was in boxes, including the Lotus engine that powered it. He told me it wasn't a good idea and then convinced the credit union to give me a loan for it. "Don't tell them it's in boxes" he told me. I brought it home and he looked it over but didn't say much. Eventually I'd find him in the garage working on it when I'd get home from work. The first day we had it back together we were out on a test run, he's driving, we're stopped at a light. Some guy pulls up next to us and my dad looks at me and says "He doesnt really think he's going to pass us, does he?" He didn't...

Not long after I got my license and bought my first car, my mom and dad happened to be sitting at a light when I raced a guy. I didn't see them.. when I got home my dad was sitting on the couch reading the newspaper (remember those?) Anywhos, my mom came out and started to lecture me about how she didn't think I should have a car at my age, yadda yadda yadda. Dad just sits there behind the paper. I finally said "Dad had a car at my age!". Mom said "But he didn't race it!" Paper doesn't move. Turning to him she said "You didn't race it, did you?" He lowered the paper and with a big grin on his face said "Only when they thought they could beat me", then raised the paper.

Conversation over, never heard another word about it again.

God damn I miss that guy...
    Mata-Tan and CAPTAIN AWESOME like this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

I find it amusing that guys are impressed by cobbled together, discordant, designs like the Red Max Ducati.

Brook Henry built far better things decades ago. :

Name:  Brook Henry Alchemy.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  359.3 KB

Name:  alchemy_LHS.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  39.8 KB

Danger, is my business."
    Last edited by Witworth; 03-03-2015 at 06:59 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links