Novice Here, eager to get into the art of motorcycle maintenance
Close

This is a discussion on Novice Here, eager to get into the art of motorcycle maintenance within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey Everyone! For a long time now I've wanted a motorcycle of my own, and as I ready myself for a long journey around the ...

Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  961.1 KB

Hey Everyone! For a long time now I've wanted a motorcycle of my own, and as I ready myself for a long journey around the world I found a perfect time to get one. I just bought a '79 Yamaha XS400 and she is a rusty beauty…and not running. But I specifically got this one because I figured it would be the best way to dive into the anatomy of these cycles, and it would give that much more meaning and worth once I finally start it up.
    Now as I write this, my knowledge of cycles is pretty limited, so any and all advice is welcome. I've bought some maintenance books to read up on but I figured the most valuable insight I'd get from experienced riders. I'll put all the details in the technical page along with a few more pictures as well.
    So thats my cycle story in a nutshell and I'm excited to get started! Let the roads show you the world and ride on!

Howdy, stranger.

GOTO: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/new-m...ead-first.html

Danger, is my business."

Informative Sticky, Now I'm thinking I should have joined this thread before buying a bike. Case in point, buying a running bike would have been easier to tackle for a beginner like me, but I always seem to dive into the deep end of things!
    Also forgot to say I'm from BC, Canada

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Welcome and sure, there are things we could have learned before we did something, but it's done now. Does the bike have a title or whatever it needs to make it legal in BC? If not, dump it and start again. If it can be legally registered, you may as well start to assess its condition and give it a complete inspection and service.

Does it turn over or is it rusted solid? If it turns over OK, start with a service and inspect points, valves, carbs, wheels, forks tires etc. Take pictures and work on one thing at a time - not a lot of projects at once like I do. Good luck and have fun.

Right now the only thing keeping it from being legally registered is the electrical. Going through a meticulous inspection now; started tuning carbs a bit, swapping front tire possibly as its off the bead a bit, but it runs and sounds beautiful
    Thanks! looks like it'll be a fun project, and I have a buddy to oversee it.

Nice little bike and perhaps....better for your learning of maintenance and riding. I would not ride 2 up for some time.....until your skills improve. Good luck.

New Quality tires!

Quote Originally Posted by Swell.Miguel View Post
    Right now the only thing keeping it from being legally registered is the electrical. Going through a meticulous inspection now; started tuning carbs a bit, swapping front tire possibly as its off the bead a bit, but it runs and sounds beautiful
    Thanks! looks like it'll be a fun project, and I have a buddy to oversee it.
    So, its got a title and the engine runs. Sounds like you're going about it right.

Just don't pull out the angle grinder till you have it on the road. You'll spend enough money getting it running right.

OP, concentrate on the MOTORCYCLE PART first,

The DREAM PART, later.

You have to keep the two processes separate.

( have one thread too, it's far easier for members to follow, and it's a better focus for you. )

Go read ZATAOMM.

Danger, is my business."

Looks like a pretty good bike from here.
    Take a safety course as soon as you can, it might just save your skin.
    You can take it on their bike as well, so you don't have to worry about dropping yours.
    Invest in the best gear you can afford, as in a helmet, jacket, and boots. If/when you have a crash,
    You'll be glad you got this stuff. Don't cheap out on things like brakes and tires. These are necessary for a safe
    Motorcycle experience. A bad experience can be enough to make you not like motorcycles anymore. Try to avoid those.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Sponsored Links