Hello from Minnesota! - Page 3
Close

Hello from Minnesota!

This is a discussion on Hello from Minnesota! within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Personally, given that you are starting with a very rare bike, I kinda like the looks of this build:...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Hello from Minnesota!

Personally, given that you are starting with a very rare bike, I kinda like the looks of this build:

That white one looks sexy, just. But it's functionality, is in the shitter.

The next time someone says : "Nice Cafe", just give them directions on how to go to get the best coffee in town. And give a real vacant look. That will confuse people no end.

Danger, is my business."
    CagedArt likes this.

Nice bike man, cant wait to see what you do with it. Congrats on the title and plates
    guinnessfox likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Personally, given that you are starting with a very rare bike, I kinda like the looks of this build:

A complete resto with flat bars?

Didn't know I picked up such a rarity! Hah, Just thought she was uncommon!
    "The mind and body must be subjected to extreme stimulus, by means of drugs and music." ~ Hunter S Thompson

-1966 Yamaha YM1 305 46xx miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    That white one looks sexy, just. But it's functionality, is in the shitter.

The next time someone says : "Nice Cafe", just give them directions on how to go to get the best coffee in town. And give a real vacant look. That will confuse people no end.

Danger, is my business."
    Ahahaha, great idea.
    "The mind and body must be subjected to extreme stimulus, by means of drugs and music." ~ Hunter S Thompson

I would like to thank you all for your advice too and not ripping me a new one for being a noob

Quote Originally Posted by guinnessfox View Post
    A complete resto with flat bars?
    :I strangely enough, that's the bars I would have put on it too, it's his cafe racer modification.

Now for the 5000$ question … How much do you think a bike like that would sell for ?:I

Hello all. Just purchased my third bike today. Kinda scary purchase though... first bike I have purchased to become a cafe racer AND the first bike I have purchased without a title. 1966?? Yamaha YM1. It has a trail of bills of sales going back to 1981 from previous owner and his father (hasn't been registered since the 70s). It runs great, goes through the gears no problem and looks like nothing else I have ever had before. It is just... beautiful. 40xx original miles and all #s matching. VIN came back from police in WI as clear and checks out on NIBC Vin checker. You guys recommend the Vermont route (heard it is SUPER easy) or trying MNDOT?

ANY help is appreciated in getting this beauty back on the road!

Cheers,
    G-Fox

Attachment 14907Attachment 14908Attachment 14909
    Nice bike you have there... Welcome to the group!

I would like to thank you all for your advice too and not ripping me a new one for being a noob
    People who are here to actually gain knowledge and listen to advice are rarely ripped into.

Ok guys, been a while. Got into the bike... some good/bad news. Obviously I want to focus on reliability and SAFETY more than anything atm...

BAD NEWS:
    -Forks are SEIZED up front. Not to worry though! New ones from a YDS5 on the way to swap out!
    -OILING ISSUES!!! The oil pump seems to be kicking air into the line? There are lots of air bubbles in the line. Going to try bleeding it first to see if this does anything. If not, I need a rebuild kit from... somewhere
    -Clutch slips over 4k. I have a spare motor so I pulled the clutch pack from there and it looks good! Going to resurface it and send it off to be worked up/sand blasted.
    -GASKETS GASKETS GASKETS! I need them. Motor/petcock/oilpump, etc. If anyone has any links/stores that work on YM1s (specifically Yamaha 305s), or any part sources, I will take anything right now! I know there is a guy in europe that makes them, but he isn't responding to me. Not sure if he is on vacation now, but I want this bike going in the next month or two.
    -Needs tires. What's new? They are 40+ years old. Dry rot is a heck of a thing.

GOOD NEWS:
    -Title arrived!
    -Tank is clean! No rust or anything.
    -Carbs look great!
    -There appears to be parts available. eBay has given me some hope to piece together some gasket kits for my bike. Just wish there was a one stop shop though!

Once again, thank you for all the kind words on here and all of the input. It means a lot to someone with their first old 2 stroke!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links