Hello
Close

Hello

This is a discussion on Hello within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello, First I want to thank the active members on here for their valuable information. Before I found the for sale section on this site ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hello

Hello

Hello,
    First I want to thank the active members on here for their valuable information. Before I found the for sale section on this site I was considering just buying a project cafe racer or old CB that looked cool off of craigslist and figuring out how to modify it into what I want. After seeing the brutally honest critique of many of the bikes people try to sell here I realized I better educate myself on the subject before just buying something. Great and potentially money and life saving info.

My experience working on engines is limited to rebuilding an 150cc Genuine Stella Scooter engine (stripping to case, new gaskets & bearings, new clutch and other maintenance stuff), switching to 177cc cylinder, upgrading the muffler, re-jetting, taking it apart, repainting, etc. So not much, but I've cracked an engine case, cleaned it, figured out how to freeze and heat things to make em fit, chamfered a cylinder, etc, then put it all back together and got it running.

So far from my research I think a CB750 would be good for me. I'm starting to look around and read up on here and elsewhere, maybe one of these days will have a report to share.

Ryan

Howdy doody.

There are far better bikes than CB750's to modify. Unless you are prepared to spend real cash for genuine suspension, tire and brake upgrades, just pass IMHO.

There are plenty of other motorcycles that are far superior to plough cash into and modify.

How big are you? Size matters in the bike selection process.

Do you want to ride fast on country roads, or profile around the metro?

Danger, is my business."
    Marcaaron619 likes this.

If you like the CB750 go find one that has low miles, is stock and does not need anything. Ride it have fun with it you will be way ahead of the game. I have a CB750 and have been collecting parts for it at the tune of $7,500.00+ and have not even turned a wrench on it yet and I will never see anywhere near that when it's done. Honda CB | eBay
    Last edited by Jruff5585; 07-28-2015 at 12:55 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I'm 6'1" and 200lbs. 33" inseam. Mostly city riding. The CB750 appeals to me because, from my limited reading, it sounds like the biggest displacement bike that makes for a legit cafe racer. I'm probably wrong about that, and its probably not the right way to think about it.

How is a GS550 for modification, city riding, and someone my height? I've been eyeballing this 1978 Suzuki GS550 Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by dunerider View Post
    I'm 6'1" and 200lbs. 33" inseam. Mostly city riding. The CB750 appeals to me because, from my limited reading, it sounds like the biggest displacement bike that makes for a legit cafe racer. I'm probably wrong about that, and its probably not the right way to think about it.

How is a GS550 for modification, city riding, and someone my height? I've been eyeballing this 1978 Suzuki GS550 Motorcycle
    The Suzuki is nice, DON'T CUT IT UP.
    -Will

Quote Originally Posted by dunerider View Post
    it sounds like the biggest displacement bike that makes for a legit cafe racer.
    What the hell is a "legit" cafe racer? Or more poignantly what do you think "legit" means in that sentence.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Why would anything that was "legit" in terms of racing want a small engine?
    Stupid thinking.

Just ride a stock bike for a while.
    Hack up something else.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Why would anything that was "legit" in terms of racing want a small engine?
    Stupid thinking.......
    Because, in the era of the real "cafe racers", the big boy class was 500cc. The cafe counterfeit culture dresses up superbike era bikes. That's the "stupid thinking".

But even during the age of superbikes, the best racing has always been in the middle weight class.....even though the big bikes got the headlines.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

My definition of legit was based on reading articles about which bikes make for good cafe racers, seeing picture of modified larger bikes, like GL1100s and similar, that just look odd and heavy, and other opinions and thoughts I've run into reading up on the subject. I thought it would be good for me because form what I've read the CB750 is good for someone my height/weight.

I have probably amassed some of my understanding of the subject from poor sources. The reason I'm here is because the feedback I saw on the for sale forum showed a deep understanding of the subject and made me realize I should gain some knowledge before doing anything.

Why should I not hack the GS550 up? Is that bike too well preserved to be messed with?

Thanks for your feedback.

You will be taking a very nice bike and no matter what you do to it you have devalued it. That is to nice a bike to cut up. Buy it and ride it while you fix up, fuck up or never finish a cafe bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links