Greetings, another from MN! + story that happened today, need some insight.
Close

This is a discussion on Greetings, another from MN! + story that happened today, need some insight. within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi. I go by the name of izzo. 27. MN. I love guns, cars, bikes, music & staying fit. I'm a dance choreographer & own ...

Hi.

I go by the name of izzo. 27. MN. I love guns, cars, bikes, music & staying fit. I'm a dance choreographer & own
    My own dance studio. Army Reserves for 9 years. (I know, I look young for my age).

About a year ago I started to look into the cafe racer style motorcycles, I was hooked. I didn't
    do much research up until 2 months ago. I finally got my first custom 79 honda cb650 about 2 weeks ago,
    been riding ever since. There's definitely still a lot I need to know, & i'm here to absorb all knowledge possible.
    Glad to be apart of the community.

As for my bike.... Looks like it has a small oil leak from the top of the head gasket, previous owner told me
    The bolts werent at the right tension. There's also a oil leak from the gasket behind the sproket. Looks like
    If i want it done right I will have to take the whole motor apart & redo everything.... Sighs... For now just been crusing
    & babying it until winter comes. Hopefully no big issues will arrive till then.

Now comes my story...... something occured to be while i was riding today..... As i pulled into the hwy ramp, 1st gear was fine.... Shifted into 2nd... Ok... But after that, i tried shitfing into 3rd, it wouldn't catch. Sounded like i over revved it trying to get into 3rd. I had to pull over. It was weird. I stopped for a moment. Turned off the bike, turned it back on, held the front brake as i tried to go into first, which it did but my clutch didnt enguage!!! It kept rolling like there was no clutch. Wtf...... So i turned it off. Got off the bike, called my brother for a tow, looked around the bike to see if i can see any noticeable damages. None. I started the bike again, enguaged the clutch & voila.. It like nothing happened. Bike worked and shifted like normal so I continued my way home. Someone help explain to me what happened so i can better understand. Thanks!

Hi izzo, re: "clutch didnt enguage!!! It kept rolling like there was no clutch."
    Recommend you change out the oil and see if you find any loose clutch plate material floating around in there. The rubberized cork, friction material can sometimes fold or come loose and jam up the clutch just as you described. It may have dislodged itself after you tried using it a few times.
    ... not too many other things can cause the symptom you described, and then resolve on its own.

If the head bolts were not torqued down properly, it makes no sense that he would know that and not correct it before it became a problem. Careful you don't over-tighten and strip the threads.

Good luck with your bike, and good luck with this site.

So you danced on the gear lever, and had problems?

Danger, is my business."

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thank, I'll definitely look into that. I'd also like to add the previous owner also mentioned about the headbots not being at the right tension specs... Mabe that could add to the issue I had.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    So you danced on the gear lever, and had problems?

Danger, is my business."
    Yes, apparently. Lol.

That's not a story. Where is the part where you do a wheelie with a supermodel on the back and then loop into a barrel roll at the cruise in spot? Amateurs....

Quote Originally Posted by izz0_artistry View Post
    I finally got my first custom 79 honda cb650
    I found your problem.

ok...seriously though, your cb650 isn't a cafe racer, won't be one, and the sooner you accept it the sooner you can enjoy exactly what it is: the plain vanilla ice cream of motorcycles. the "custom" model means yours has sprinkles.

Let's start with the basics:
    Every SOHC honda four weeps oil. Every single goddamn one. Why? because the work involved in fixing it is a pain in the ass as compared to the benefit you get from it provided the engine is still keeping the majority of oil in the engine, the pressure is good, there are no funny noises, and you are consuming less than half a quart between oil changes things are fine. If you come out looking like the coal miner's daughter at the end of a ride then maybe it's worth addressing over the winter since the engine has to come out of the frame.

But....

you are a new owner to an old bike. So what you really need to do is give your bike an overall checkup. How you ask? get a manual and go through all the general maintenance sections. Buy real tools if you need to (none of that Harbor Freight). In addition to checking the usual things like the brakes and the fork seals you should:

- do a compression test
    - monitor the oil pressure (it's a gauge kit for the SOHCs, looks cool too)
    - synch the carbs
    - check the date on the tires to make sure they aren't too old
    - inspect all fluid and flush out if necessary.

at the end of all this at the very least you will know how sound your motorskiggle is.

also, pull your clutch cover off and inspect the clutch.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

cheap fix for a leaky (oil) head or base gasket: 4 quarters at the car wash.

Also check out your cable, all the release bits, be prepared to pull the cover. It needs servicing. Or at least a looking at.

249 gunner? That's a fat chick to take to the dance. But a nice one to snuggle up to.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

:I Think Witworth was implying you stomped on the shift lever and bent a shifter fork, but possibly not, I totally don't understand the man.

Common symptoms of a bent shifter fork are: Difficult to impossible shifting or jumping out of gear under load. <- hopefully not your problem, because it's a far more difficult to fix then replacing clutch plates, which is an easy fix.

Power-washers never touch my bikes. They force too much water into places that should never see water. I literally take my bikes apart to clean them and probably spend near as much time servicing them as riding them. That's why I can only handle 4 at time, if I fixed up all my bikes I'd have no time to ride.
    Save up your old toothbrushes they are great for cleaning motorcycles.

Sponsored Links