Hello from New Hampshire - Page 2
Close

Hello from New Hampshire

This is a discussion on Hello from New Hampshire within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Something with fuel injection is highly recommended, particularly in regions where the bike will be stored and exposed to extreme cold winter weather, CV carbs ...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Hello from New Hampshire

Something with fuel injection is highly recommended, particularly in regions where the bike will be stored and exposed to extreme cold winter weather, CV carbs don't fair so well in those conditions. Single cylinder motorcycles are the easiest to work on and maintain, plus they are inherently light compared to multi cylinder bikes. When looking for deals on older used motorcycles, look for the ones that were ridden seldom, possibly dropped once and then stored for a prolonged period in the back of a heated garage.

Don't forget that dirt bikes exist and dual-sport type dirt bikes can be used on pavement or in the woods, street bikes work best on pavement and are near useless in the woods. Very much depends on where you live and the terrain you have at your disposal.

I envy your newness, learn to ride well and have tons of fun. The key to surviving on the street is to out ride them all, so get real good at it real fast.

How do you guys feel about a 1977 Suzuki GS750?

Quote Originally Posted by BennyJ View Post
    How do you guys feel about a 1977 Suzuki GS750?
    That year still has the wire wheels?
    Very good bike.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The one I'm looking at has a leaky carb, has 16,000 mi, and needs new brakes and tires. It has the touring package. A carb rebuild kit is $50 on eBay. $500.

Im not a huge fan of any of the eBay kits like K&L or Keyster. They don't hold up well with modern fuel. I only ever use OEM carb parts. Unsure if Suzuki is as easy to get parts for as Honda.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Something with fuel injection is highly recommended, particularly in regions where the bike will be stored and exposed to extreme cold winter weather, CV carbs don't fair so well in those conditions. Single cylinder motorcycles are the easiest to work on and maintain, plus they are inherently light compared to multi cylinder bikes. When looking for deals on older used motorcycles, look for the ones that were ridden seldom, possibly dropped once and then stored for a prolonged period in the back of a heated garage.

Don't forget that dirt bikes exist and dual-sport type dirt bikes can be used on pavement or in the woods, street bikes work best on pavement and are near useless in the woods. Very much depends on where you live and the terrain you have at your disposal.

I envy your newness, learn to ride well and have tons of fun. The key to surviving on the street is to out ride them all, so get real good at it real fast.
    Fuel injection sucks. Carbs are adjustable with tools. Fuel injection is adjustable with mapping.... keep it simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Too big and heavy and stupid. Get a single or a twin. 500cc or smaller.
    latered

Do you have a license? Have you ridden a bike on the road before?

If you are learning or it's your first bike you don't want something that's old, heavy and likely to break down every 6 blocks.

Get a new(ish) Ninja 250/300 and learn how not to die on the roads for 12 months before you chase your cafe racer wet dream.

I don't have my license yet. I have experience with Honda xr80's (dirtbike). I don't know what you guys think, but an 80cc is pretty close to a 750cc. I think I know what I'm doing. Also I think 6 blocks is a little of an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyJ View Post
    I don't know what you guys think, but an 80cc is pretty close to a 750cc. I think I know what I'm doing.
    Did you want to know what we think or are you just going to do what you think anyway??

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links