Hello from New Hampshire - Page 3
Close

Hello from New Hampshire

This is a discussion on Hello from New Hampshire within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Relax, I was kidding. I welcome all input and ideas. I wish I had the chatbot's thoughts though....

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Hello from New Hampshire

Relax, I was kidding. I welcome all input and ideas. I wish I had the chatbot's thoughts though.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Fuel injection sucks. Carbs are adjustable with tools. Fuel injection is adjustable with mapping.... keep it simple.

Too big and heavy and stupid. Get a single or a twin. 500cc or smaller.

lol So much wrong followed by so much right.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    lol So much wrong followed by so much right.

Wrong

If you plan on buying a fuel injected bike and bringing it to the dealer everytime the stupid thing is screwed up..... go ahead.
    If you are planning on having a bike that you can maintain with some basic tools..... get a carbureted moto.
    latered

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Fuel injection sucks. Carbs are adjustable with tools. Fuel injection is adjustable with mapping.... keep it simple.......
    I used to be pro carbs......until I started tuning FI bikes. A power commander and a lap top. and the world is your oyster. SOOOOO much more adjustable than carbs, Soooo much easier. No gas smell on your hands. Adjustments can be made in seconds on the road (with a dyno it's even easier). You don't have to go out do a plug chop, then take the bike back to the garage to disassemble it. You just stop, plug the lap top into the module make your adjustment then try again...and I don't get met by my wife at the door instructing me to leave my gasoline smelling clothes in the garage!
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Fuel injection nowadays is pretty damn reliable - not like the 80's.

FI bikes rarely screw up and need maintenance like old carb'd bikes do.

Anyway - back to the OP.

Get some roadcraft under your belt before you start a big old project bike.

Riding an XR80 through the bush trails is so far different from dealing with traffic on a big road bike you may as well be saying you know how to cook because you bought a microwave.

Wrong

If you plan on buying a fuel injected bike and bringing it to the dealer everytime the stupid thing is screwed up..... go ahead.
    If you are planning on having a bike that you can maintain with some basic tools..... get a carbureted moto.

Well see now that's the thing, I've been riding fuel injected bikes since 1986 and have yet to take any of my bikes to a dealer because it screwed up. They just work awesome and without fail. Even the one I dropped in the lake just needed to be dried out and it worked fine afterwards. Only special tools I own are the ones I make.
    All my carbureted bikes and snowmobiles have needed frequent and repeated servicing plus the need to make adjustments with seasonal changes. Although I service those myself too, just with great regularity.

What did you buy that had such a crap fuel injection system that it turned you off them so badly? and did you try replacing the fuel filter?

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post

What did you buy that had such a crap fuel injection system that it turned you off them so badly?
    A V-Due, perhaps??
    8ball likes this.

Alright hillsy, I get your point. Is there a bike you would recommend that is a good first bike but that I can also make my cafe racer wet dream come true? I'm looking for a winter project. I won't be able to ride until next spring anyways.

QUOTE=8ball;340106]...and I don't get met by my wife at the door instructing me to leave my gasoline smelling clothes in the garage![/QUOTE]

I know that in this day and age, this is wrong on so many levels, but hey... what the heck. You really need to get that woman under control.

Name:  control.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  36.1 KB[
    8ball, TrialsRider and monkey like this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links