Hello from Sydney
Close

Hello from Sydney

This is a discussion on Hello from Sydney within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Just introducing myself in preparation to turn my 1998 CB750 Nighthawk into a dream machine. I've been perusing this site for a while and am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hello from Sydney

Hello from Sydney

Just introducing myself in preparation to turn my 1998 CB750 Nighthawk into a dream machine. I've been perusing this site for a while and am solidly impressed with the knowledge base.

I'm a Physiotherapist and have a natural curiosity for how things work, so now it's time to learn more on this project bike. My family has a history of racers so I guess that was in the blood too.

Previously I've had a CB250 and a GB400TT which only had minor issues so this time I'm keen to put these garage tools to use and stop these workshops bleeding me of moolah. (Sydney rate is $100 ph labour minimum)

Feel free to ask me injury questions (like all my mates at the pub do) as there's a lot of bad advice out there on that too!

As for the bike, it runs pretty damn smoothly and has done the Sydney-Brisbane return trip with now dramas already. Even dodges kangaroos and foxes pretty well!

Here's a photo and I will start a build thread asap. (Apologies if this picture displays larger than preview as I suspect it might).
    Name:  IMG_2214b.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  912.8 KB
    Standing still is just going backwards quickly.

Nice looking bike. What's a dream machine?

Man, I say just lose the sissy bar and get some braided brake hoses, and maybe a nice 4 into 1 exhaust, and a small fairing to help with wind, and call it good! Bike looks great as is!
    If you start trying to make it look like anything but an 80's superbike, you'll compromise usability and comfort pretty quickly. Not trying to piss on your dreams, but that's a great practical bike you have there that I'd happily ride every day.
    I'd hate to see you do anything to compromise that aspect of it.
    Upgrade the machine itself, with progressive springs and fresh fork seals/bushings/oil, and either get some upgraded shocks or see if you can rebuild those rfy things to work pretty good. Work on improving handling and stopping before anything else, and then if the bike needs more power look into cams, and a k&n filter for the stock airbox, and jet the carbs to work best with whichever exhaust system you choose.

Or just hack half the frame off and put a skateboard deck on for a seat and put clubman bars and emgo air filters on it and try to triple your investment on ebay. Your call.
    Hope to see you here improving and enjoying your bike for years to come.
    TrialsRider likes this.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hey guys, the dream machine is a super smooth CB750 that Honda really should be making today.

That means a smooth daily rider with nice lines and comfort as a priority. That said I still want to have fun.

While tempted to pop on some clip-ons, I really don't want to sacrifice that turning circle too much. Same said for switching in spoke wheels, that's a fairly expensive swap over here depending on availability.

I've done the fork rebuild and the K&N filter. Next phase checking engine components and tuning.

Any recommendations on bars and other front end components (dials, braided lines, horn, electrics) let me know lads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coxinator View Post
    Hey guys, the dream machine is a super smooth CB750 that Honda really should be making today.
    They do still make that, but they punched it out to 1000

Oops, sorry, This one might work better for you

Name:  Honda_CB1100_AussiVersion.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  63.8 KB
    8ball likes this.

I see whatcha did there.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Whitehouse in Japan is the place to get hot parts for that bike. Honestly I love them just the way they are, maybe with the freddie spencer race paint they did a couple of years ago but that's it.

??????? | ???????
    Samurider.com | Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

They built these RCB replicas a few years ago and then sold the parts to do your own conversions. too fine:

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  101.1 KB

in my mind this is the only way to mod a cb750 and not fuck it up.
    Mustachio likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

We've got to get some new digs on the down under joke front happening here Trialsrider. Convicts, dangerous animals, Mad Max, raw onion-eating leaders - we got it covered.

As much as I like the CB1100, it doesn't quite have the legacy of the 750 marque for mine. Also they don't sell them here as Triumph and Kwaks dominate that market.

Geeto, nice Japan site recommendation but can't find anything for the 750. How swappable are some of these parts for the 1100? Some of those exhausts are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Coxinator View Post
    We've got to get some new digs on the down under joke front happening here Trialsrider. Convicts, dangerous animals, Mad Max, raw onion-eating leaders - we got it covered.

As much as I like the CB1100, it doesn't quite have the legacy of the 750 marque for mine. Also they don't sell them here as Triumph and Kwaks dominate that market.

Geeto, nice Japan site recommendation but can't find anything for the 750. How swappable are some of these parts for the 1100? Some of those exhausts are very nice.
    I couldn't tell you on the parts interchange from 750 to 1100. I know whitehouse sells parts for the 750 but I don't think their "english" partner carries them as regular stock. You may have to send an email and ask them directly.

I know this RCB 1000 replica is based on a 750 - it was built before the 1100 was even released:
    Name:  CB%u00252B750%2BRCB%2BReplica%2BWhouse%2B12.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  50.8 KB
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links